Drabblecast 397 - Fruit and Words

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
ZimmermansWay

Drabblecast 397 - Fruit and Words

Post by ZimmermansWay » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:36 pm

Feature: Fruit and Words by Aimee Bender

Wednesday, January 31st, 2018

This week The Drabblecast presents "Fruit and Words" by Aimee Bender; a story about words and their meanings.

Story Excerpt:
So there we were, Steve and I, smack in the middle of the same fight we’d had a million times before, a fight I knew so well I could graph it. We were halfway down the second slope of resignation, the place where we usually went to different rooms and despaired quietly on our own, and right at the moment that I thought, for the first time in seven years, that maybe things were just not going to work out after all, that was the moment he suggested we drive to Vegas right then and tie the knot.
Twabble is from listener Rusty Tomatoes:
It was a dark and stormy night. It is still a dark and stormy night. The years pass and I cannot remember if the sun was real.
Produced: Adam Pracht and Norm Sherman
Episode Art: Mary Mattice

...Zimmerman...

"We're all lying in the gutter. Some of us are just looking up at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

Vickster

What's in a name?

Post by Vickster » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:43 am

Just a guess, but is Aimee's middle name Mind? Not sure in which room one would look for it, though. Really enjoyed this story, even if (or maybe because) its deeper meaning, for me, is sitting somewhere up there with the xenon – and I'm sure to mangle it if I make a grab for it! But the slow sure swerve from the straight road of reality was sweetly done.

Actually, it's a shame the text wasn't included with this one. Reading the enigmatic words while listening (as works a treat with stories like Skullpocket), might have added yet another level of fruity musing...perhaps it was safer not to!

Still, there is one moral within this story that I'm rock solidly across and behind. As someone who has worked too many shifts behind convenience store counters – is it asking too much for the good customer to wait until they've left the store to start wolfing down their purchase? Seriously, folks, it's what separates us from the ghouls!

Spindaddy

Re: Drabblecast 397 - Fruit and Words

Post by Spindaddy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:50 pm

This was a great story. I got irrationally angry at the jerk leaving the girl to drive home alone. I was completely grossed out when the girl didn't wash her hands after eating the juicy AF mango. Sticky hands like that gross me TF out. I had to wash my own.

IMO I'd love a follow up story where the woman can't eat fruit anymroe. It constantly drys up and goes bad, forming words "you owe me $300!"
I'm not Evil. I'm Corporate.
Zombie Catfish.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:36 am

Text is coming for this one! Just had to work a contract thingee out.
"Give us all some Jelly"

honyocker

Post by honyocker » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:55 pm

It's so great to have the Drabblecast back. You were greatly missed.

A bit of friendly criticism. The new episodes seem to have a lot more sound effects and emphasis on the background music. To me this is distracting from the story, and I'm wondering if others have noticed the same. Don't get me wrong, I love Norm's music as much as the next guy, and I'm not criticizing that. I'm referring to the music underneath the narration, which sometimes gets a little overenthusiastic.

ScubaMan

Post by ScubaMan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:26 am

Whoah boy. This episode sailed right over my head. Fruits? Nuts? Nope. I couldn't get into the tale. I struggled with it... and gave up a third of the way in. Pity. :(

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:12 am

It's funny, a lot of people have told me this story feels like a total return to Drabblecast form. I think this one and Single Parent I get the most feedback on these days. Weird is different and fun for different people for different reasons I guess, that's why it's "weird."
I think there's a lot of metaphorical value to this one, but if you bypass all that, there's just something fun about a shack on the side of the road with human hair pinned to a wall in the back...
;)
"Give us all some Jelly"

acpracht

Post by acpracht » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:39 pm

To be fair to Norm, if you think there's too much music and sfx, it's most likely one I produced.
I love going whole-hog cinematic, and while Norm has suggested tweaks to emphasis from time to time... it does seem to be what he's wanting, so there probably will be ones like this regularly for a while...
I think this becomes most fully Drabblecast for me when the narrator notes "dog" and "cat" among the words while fleeing. WTF is up with that?!
Incidentally, huge props to Mary on this episode art! Anyone else notice that "Words" in the title is composed of story text? Super cool.
-Adam

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:45 am

That's awesome! I didn't notice that about the art Adam!

Yah, still finding our legs a little with production balance after relaunch. I think it really works and turns the story into something broader and special when done right-- Drabblecast has always been notable for trying to ad a cinematic element to production. But thanks for the feedback, always noted!
"Give us all some Jelly"

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:26 am

Please don't dial back on the sound effects and music. It's one of the things that makes Drabblecast episodes unique.
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer