Drabbleclassics 29- Primary Pollinator (191)

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
normsherman
Site Admin

Drabbleclassics 29- Primary Pollinator (191)

Post by normsherman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:45 am

Drabbleclassics:

A fan-hosted Series that features fan-picked stories from the Drabblecast archives, remastered and brought to you by fans like our host this week, Bart Epstein. Enjoy his take on Primary Pollinator, by Nicole Kimberling!
"Give us all some Jelly"

peterpatter

Re: Drabbleclassics 29- Primary Pollinator (191)

Post by peterpatter » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:07 am

I enjoyed the intro and outro!

I didn't catch the "sentient tree/communication equipment" at first listen, and I was left questioning the reliability of the hallucinogenically-disoriented narrator.

pp

ScubaMan

Post by ScubaMan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:01 pm

The story had a gloriously quirky, finished up with a "underdog win" at the end. Mind you, the story reminded me about some of the odder characteristics of skunk cabbage. Their yellow flower cone has a biological 'heating element' that allows the plant to poke through the thawing Spring soil... and the warmth attracts pollinators.

D00MSDAY

Post by D00MSDAY » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:40 pm

This one's an all-time favorite of mine. But the new analysis that follows really articulates what is so awesome about it--that maybe in the end it isn't necessarily sheer might and aggression that ensure natural selection and survival of a species, but rather decency, integrity, and compassion. Wouldn't that be nice?

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Thu May 09, 2019 2:12 am

D00MSDAY wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:40 pm
This one's an all-time favorite of mine. But the new analysis that follows really articulates what is so awesome about it--that maybe in the end it isn't necessarily sheer might and aggression that ensure natural selection and survival of a species, but rather decency, integrity, and compassion. Wouldn't that be nice?
I thought that was cool too, I had never thought of this story from that angle. It reminds me of the Dead Duck Day Drabblenews segment from back in the day, where female ducks have evolved convoluted trapdoor vaginas that they can open for "nice guy" ducks that will treat them right haha.
"Give us all some Jelly"

D00MSDAY

Post by D00MSDAY » Sat May 11, 2019 3:26 pm

normsherman wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:12 am
I thought that was cool too, I had never thought of this story from that angle. It reminds me of the Dead Duck Day Drabblenews segment from back in the day, where female ducks have evolved convoluted trapdoor vaginas that they can open for "nice guy" ducks that will treat them right haha.
Speaking of, interesting fact: We raised Muscovy ducks when I was growing up, so I was witness to those spiral monstrosities. Now when it's time to replace lights in the house, I always tell my husband not to buy any of those duck-dick bulbs.

Spindaddy

Post by Spindaddy » Wed May 22, 2019 5:21 am

D00MSDAY wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:26 pm
normsherman wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:12 am
Speaking of, interesting fact: We raised Muscovy ducks when I was growing up, so I was witness to those spiral monstrosities. Now when it's time to replace lights in the house, I always tell my husband not to buy any of those duck-dick bulbs.
Holy shit.... now those light bulbs will forever be illuminated duck dicks. FML.
I'm not Evil. I'm Corporate.
Zombie Catfish.