Drabblecast 037 - Luna Springs

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Mr. Tweedy

Drabblecast 037 - Luna Springs

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:14 pm

Feature Luna Springs by Patrick Hurley

They say the gravity's lessened here, air's purified, filtered with vitamins and proteins. Even the light's better- Luna Springs is on a mobile foundation timed to keep optimum reflected sunlight at all hours...

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:05 am

Nothing about this story really stuck me until the last paragraph. Aside from the nursing home being on the moon, the story was extremely, if sadly, banal up to that point. But then the end–The man is unhappy that his father has found his new home fulfilling and enjoyable. That was a poignant twist, but it came too late in the story to really save it.

It makes you think about love, though. I'm sure the son would have said he loved his father and wanted the best for him, but he didn't really mean it. He was used to being superior to his father, and finding the father suddenly in a position that was enviable upset him. He wanted to look down on the old man, to offer condescending pity from a position of superior strength. The son wanted that more than he wanted what was good for the father.

That's pretty deep, and it's too bad the story didn't spend more time on that thought. A lot of times people in families and relationships don't really love each other in the true sense of valuing the other person and wanting good for them. Rather, they expect the other person to fulfill a certain preconceived role, and if the person fails to do this, anger and disappointment result. That is merely self-indulgence without actual regard for the person who is, theoretically, supposed to be the object of affection.

I wonder what the son will do when his own children fail to be as he expected, or his wife doesn't quite fit the archetype he has in his mind. Will he be be disappointed and become bitter, or will he realize that loving someone means appreciating them for who and what they are, not for what you want them to be?
Advertise in this space!

AynSavoy

Post by AynSavoy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:01 am

I enjoyed this story. While I certainly do love creepy twists, I liked the straightforwardness of this narrative, and that it turned out the way you want it to for each character. I wouldn't call it a happy story, but it was satisfying.

AliceNread

Post by AliceNread » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:23 pm

This maybe my favorite of them all.

Chivalrybean

Post by Chivalrybean » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:11 am

It'd be nice to send my grandma there...

AliceNread

Post by AliceNread » Thu May 15, 2008 6:25 am

Hell, I want to go and where I live that is not impossible. My backyard looks onto the first privately owned space ports, so I have hopes.

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:07 am

Ooo, great story! I kept expecting the old people to get shot to the sun, as some old lady yelled at the departure gate. Thankfully, they went To A Better Place.

I really loved the ending! Just dropping one line that said it all: the man wanted his father to be happy (... but not THAT happy, darnit!)
I love that. It keeps you thinking after the story, because it lets some nice room for interpretation for the listener. Well done!
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

hurlepat

Re: Drabblecast 37 - Luna Springs by Patrick Hurley

Post by hurlepat » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:28 am

Apologies for joining in this discussion two years late! I just found out about these forums and have to say it was a real (almost surreal) pleasure reading these comments about my story "Luna Springs." I wish I had read them sooner!

I got the idea for "Luna Springs" while reading an article about the exercise regimen astronauts needed to avoid muscle atrophy. I had just been visiting my own grandmother at her senior center and I thought, "Well, hell, at least they wouldn't need walkers up there." And the idea for the story came to me. It was one of those great stories that sort of wrote themselves. Also, for any interested, it will be appearing in print (for the first time) in Big Pulp magazine this spring.

Have to say. Love the Drabblecast! Its a great way to spend a daily commute.

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:41 pm

Hey, welcome Pat! I like when authors stop by. :)

Mr. Tweedy already said most everything I was going to say, particularly about the nature of love and the man's reaction to his father no longer fitting the role he wanted him to fill.

hurlepat

Post by hurlepat » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:57 am

Thanks for the comment Unblinking. I remember a friend of mine said she expected some kind of sinister reveal, like they really were being launched into the sun. For me, the ending felt just right for the story.

I have to admit, my favorite part was when grandpa looked at this granddaughters and carefully enunciated, "Bull. Shit." :)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:34 am

hurlepat wrote:Thanks for the comment Unblinking. I remember a friend of mine said she expected some kind of sinister reveal, like they really were being launched into the sun. For me, the ending felt just right for the story.

I have to admit, my favorite part was when grandpa looked at this granddaughters and carefully enunciated, "Bull. Shit." :)
Hee hee. Mine too.
A second Welcome to the Forums, Patrick.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:48 pm

hurlepat wrote:I remember a friend of mine said she expected some kind of sinister reveal, like they really were being launched into the sun.
I already read THAT story as a subplot in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (except it was expanded so that it wasn't just old people, but any member of society considered to not be vital to survival). Oh wait, they crash landed that ship purposefly on a planet, and all the useful people accidentally flew into the sun. I think. I need to go re-read those now.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:12 pm

Yea. All the useless people landed on earth, and became us.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:21 pm

Jer-ry!

Jer-ry!
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:45 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Yea. All the useless people landed on earth, and became us.
Ha, I'd forgotten that they became us!

sandrilde

Re: Drabblecast 037 - Luna Springs

Post by sandrilde » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:56 pm

Decent story, though I'd swear I've seen this exact plot elsewhere... Enjoyed overall though. It was no Halloween episode, but that's what Norm gets for raising the bar so high....