Drabblecast 058 - Eggs

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
strawman

Drabblecast 058 - Eggs

Post by strawman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:42 am

Eggs by Matthew Bey

“Get into the prep room! We need to wash you off and destroy your pants!”

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:03 am

This story is very big on the sense of foreboding inevitability which is the common denominator of all horror stories. It departs from the genre in two ways.
First, three injections are simply too easy a solution for something that initially liquified a cat.
And second, the elementary justice required in this formula requires that Gloria be the one infected.
I also think that something that makes Ebola look like childsplay would produce more of an official response than two brochures and trouser confiscation. The angst that resulted from Gloria not being liquified from the insides is going to require a groin shot for me. It's eating at me. I can feel it. Gloria...must...die.
Therefore, I hereby issue a Fatwa against Gloria, and challenge the DC community to execute her by Drabble. Gloria's days are numbered- (one to one hundred.)
(Norm, does the creative commons license permit the killing of someone else's character?)

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:41 am

Gloria made her way down the stairs, with Michael cradled in her arms. As they emerged into the darkness, the cold fingers of a foggy night irresistibly drew mother and child through the shadows cast by a full moon.
How dare Phil make my precious Mikey cry, thought Gloria, as the scene repeated itself in her mind. It now occurred to Gloria that she had turned into an unfamiliar neighborhood, with a strangely compelling crater in the middle of the street. She approached, looked down into the deep cold. Setting Michael down, she reached down with her hand to touch…

Now the drabble makes sense too. Cool.

HokieGeek

Awesome story

Post by HokieGeek » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:48 pm

What on earth is it about parasitic worms that I love so much? Clever writing and odd story. This is exactly why I love The Drabblecast.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:45 pm

Squirm-in-our-seat description of invisible badies all over everything, crawling on your skin, in your mouth, biding their time until they get into your rib cage to DIGEST!!!...

And then nothing happens. Big, fun buildup, but not much payoff at the end.

I was totally grossed out by the exploding cat sound effect. Good show.
Advertise in this space!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:27 pm

yep- just like the movie "No Country for Old Men"

Me: "That's it?? That's the end??"
Luke *turning nose up*: "I knew you wouldn't get it."
"Give us all some Jelly"

peteyfrogboy

Post by peteyfrogboy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:43 pm

I was less interested in the characters as people than as battlefields. I was listening closely to the parasite counts and felt some relief when I learned that all of the eggs on the baby were destroyed. As a parent, the thought that it was possible to protect my children from gut-liquefying parasites (not so far fetched, as I'm sure some of you know) through the exercise of proper cleaning techniques was quite uplifting.

PS: The cat-splash sound effect at the beginning was the most disgusting thing ever. Bravo!

strawman

Mite Happen

Post by strawman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:07 pm

This is a photomicrograph of the scabies mite. This animal burrows in the skin, depositing both eggs and feces. Scabies infestation causes intense itching (pruritus) which leads to scratching and damage of the skin (excoriation). The infestation may last for years without treatment and has been called the "seven year itch".
No idea why his name is Adam.

bolddeceiver

Post by bolddeceiver » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:50 am

strawman wrote: And second, the elementary justice required in this formula requires that Gloria be the one infected.
I kinda liked how it had so many red herrings, where it was totally obvious what would happen, and then it didn't.

I really like stories of mundane interaction with alien lifeforms, cf. EP 32.
...the pagoda-like enclosure, where Japanese sand-badgers disported themselves...

Drabbling Daily

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:59 am

bolddeceiver wrote:
I really like stories of mundane interaction with alien lifeforms, cf. EP 32.
Warden's Last Day?
"Give us all some Jelly"

bolddeceiver

Post by bolddeceiver » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:26 am

If I'd said Ep. or ep. it would have been "episode;" when they're both capitalized I'm referring to Stephen Eley's venerable podcast. I suppose that could be confusing ;)
...the pagoda-like enclosure, where Japanese sand-badgers disported themselves...

Drabbling Daily

Goldenrat

Cool.

Post by Goldenrat » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:31 pm

Cool story. Not the ending I expected but it was a fun trip. Great effects.

I'll never look at my precious Tooncey's revenge couch-poops the same way again. Wipe that sucker down.

vburn

Post by vburn » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:53 pm

Woo-Hoo! I win 5 bucks. Whoever is paying up can just donate it to the Drabblecast to ensure we get more fecal matter and anal probing stories in the future. Maybe if we get enough pay outs for this bet Norm will write us a Bardle to celebrate.

The story was different in a good way. The end was a little of a let down, as has been mentioned. A lame groin joke never makes a good ending to a story, IMHO.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:37 pm

bolddeceiver wrote:If I'd said Ep. or ep. it would have been "episode;" when they're both capitalized I'm referring to Stephen Eley's venerable podcast. I suppose that could be confusing ;)
AH, makes sense. jeez EP 32 was back in the day
"Give us all some Jelly"

bolddeceiver

Post by bolddeceiver » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:08 pm

normsherman wrote:
bolddeceiver wrote:If I'd said Ep. or ep. it would have been "episode;" when they're both capitalized I'm referring to Stephen Eley's venerable podcast. I suppose that could be confusing ;)
AH, makes sense. jeez EP 32 was back in the day

Not if you regularly go back and listen to back episodes of all your podcasts out of sheer boredom.

Drabbling Daily

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:56 pm

Ah, feline liquefaction - an excellent way to start a story.

RG

Post by RG » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:06 am

I liked this one a lot. The ending took me for a bit of a surprise. I thought the main character was going to go the way of his cat, with a splat. So this was kind of a happy ending, I guess.

I listened to it last night, so I don't know if I'm remembering the line exactly right, but the part where he's arguing with his girlfriend and says something like "I have other pants" was a great line.

AynSavoy

Post by AynSavoy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:47 am

I liked this one quite a bit. The constant naming of numbers of eggs/larvae was a source of amusement for me. And I liked the ending; sounds like the guy's got enough problems that he doesn't need to get liquified. A shot to the groin is dramatic enough.
"she says 'I like long walks and sci-fi movies'"
http://amillionwordstogo.blogspot.com

bolddeceiver

Post by bolddeceiver » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:15 am

Maybe part of my acceptance of the lack of liquifactive necrosis (real medical term, though the technical meaning is a little different) is that I had my fill of it, since I was halfway through Infected at the time...

Drabbling Daily

damiengwalter

Post by damiengwalter » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:07 am

I had to stop listening about half way through. I was eating my breakfast, then started to consider the possibility of my breakfast eating me.

Good story.