Drabblecast 060 - Dysfunction

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:09 pm

Still, papier mache screaming in a fire. Listen for the screams. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :shock:

Dr. Sax

Post by Dr. Sax » Mon May 19, 2008 9:23 pm

This will be more about the concept the story addressed rather than the story itself:

The thing that a lot of artists fail to realize is that creating is what we do and not who we are. Cal had an obvious unhealthy obsession with his work, feeling a connection with them that brought them to an intimate level with him. His art was part of who he was and no longer what he did. Yes, our art needs to be personal and meaningful, but to consider them our offspring or extensions of ourselves is extremely unhealthy and causes us to become socially and mentally unsound. Then we create for ourselves rather than our community and we essentially become selfish and useless.

There are two extremes: One is to work because it is expected of you and you do your job and get your paycheck. This is sloth and a mindset that is completely self-centered. The other extreme is to work only because it entertains and fulfills your own ends, and you do your job well simply because it makes you feel better about yourself. This is pride and is also a mindset that is completely self-centered. A balance must be found by seeking to serve others with our work. Otherwise your work will be useless like Cal's work ended up being.

So I guess I really liked this story because I thought it gave a brilliant exaggerated example of something that I and I'm sure many others have struggled with.

sandrilde

Re: Drabblecast 060 - Dysfunction

Post by sandrilde » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:39 pm

The story was ok, aided a lot by the presentation. On to the next.

Bbardle was awesome. Can't wait for more.