Drabblecast 142, 143 - The Golden Age of Fire Escapes

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 142, 143 - The Golden Age of Fire Escapes

Post by Kevin Anderson » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:30 pm

The Golden Age of Fire Escapes Part I
by John Aegard

The Fire Marshall took office with a mask, a slideshow, and some compelling statistics...

Bbardle- Mongolian Deathworm (Just Another lonely Night)

Art by Skeet Scienski
Music by John Scott Trotter, Cab Calloway and Artie Shaw
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

TheJebi

Re: Drabblecast 142- The Golden Age of Fire Escapes Part I

Post by TheJebi » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:03 am

I have no proof that Karl Rove exists, but it would be rash of me deny that he exists purely because of said lack of proof.

Also, let's not have any more sexy Mongolian Deathworm decoys made from camel intestine, the thought of such an enticing object was getting me a little too exited... if you know what I mean. Just so damn sexy.

The main piece of fiction was... interesting and quite amusing, but had too many fire escapes and masks for my taste.

The commercials were gold. Loved 'em more than any commercial deserves to be loved.

All in all, I'd say this episode was definitely worth the wait.
“I’m not TheJebi because I like the hum of a lightsaber in my hand… and I’m not TheJebi because I like being TheJebi. I’m TheJebi because the Galaxy needs me to be TheJebi.”

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:28 am

Lonely Night in Mongolia is an EARWORM!

I love the recording of this episode and the commercials, etc. I don't know what to say about the main story yet. I think I like it, but I can't see where this fire engine is headed yet.

How can the fire chief smell her perfume through his gas mask?
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

Beth Peters

Post by Beth Peters » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:54 am

WOW. what a production! I looked at my MP3 player and was like 40 MINUTES, HOLY CRAP! That's like twice as long as the average Drabblecast! But this thing was packed with so much hilarity. I love that innocent, nostalgic Schlitz malt liquor commercial. They so had no idea that over 50 years later they'd be famous for cheap ghetto 40 ounces in gas stations.

Norm is officially the Orson Welles of the 21st century in my book.

The Mongolian Deathworm song= another hilarious song cranked out nonchalantly by the most clever songwriter I've ever heard.

In Search of Deathworm, Part Four= I was wondering when you guys were gonna pick this back up. So fun. This was the best one so far, almost blew orange juice out of my nose with the "it's a %@$ worm for god's sake- that's gotta be the easiest constellation to make" bit while O Holy Night triumphantly and irreverently plays in the background.

Story= Definitely has my attention. I loved the Halloween special that John Aegard did this year, I can tell his same type of humor coming through in this story. Public policy has gotta be one of the most boring subjects, fire codes totally non-exciting, fire escapes the least interesting thing ever to base a story on, much less create a masked hero mythos out of it, but that's the point I suppose. I love the understatement and naturalized handling of absurdity, Norm does that so well, and the Golden Age of Radio parallel is clever and a perfect setting. The music and newsbreaks here are dead on, the production here really is something to behold. I'm genuinely interested to see what happens between Rita and the Marshal, why the Marshal wears a mask, etc.

Not sure how this is "Christmasy" at all, but I guess that's the point as well (Mule Deer bow hunting...Karl Rove?...love this podcast just like I love the fresh and long lasting taste of nuts in my mouth...Beach nut gum!)
A Jetson Your Llama! I never said that it was a Mexican McDonalds!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:33 am

Yes, I made the observation that Norm is the Orson Welles of our day (watch your waist line there, Norm) after "Let us all praise awesome dinosaurs."

Good to hear it's been confirmed. If two people think so, it must be true.

As far as this episode being a little late, well I guess Norm won't sell any podcast... before it's time.

Always upping the bar on the show. You are a treasure to the comedy field. Someday, Comedy Central is sure to call.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:31 am

That was just great on so many levels. All the Dune references had me ROTFL, especially Bono the God-Emperor. The main story was one of those pieces that really benefited from a layered sound presentation. Norm made it sound twice as good as it would have read on paper. ...OK, I guess that's always true, but in this case, it was extra true. And the commercials! Hilarious - more of those, please.

Also, I think the Fire Marshal is the mayor. I'm not sure why he wants to hold both offices, but I got that idea. Did anyone else think so?
http://cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://panamindorah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:13 pm

I really like the thirties feel of the whole production and of course it's impossible to get too much Cab Calloway. As a volunteer fire fighter myself one can not overemphasize the importance of fire safety (seriously). I'm eagerly looking forward to the next episode of The Golden Age of Fire Escapes.

As for Carl Rove, it has been said that if Carl Rove did not exist it would be necessary to invent him. And that's all I've got to say about that.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:28 pm

Like many heretics, I believe in Karl Rove. I believe he was born, and that one day he will die*. I just don't believe he's the son of god or god incarnate.

On a more relevant note, this episode rocks so far. The effect on Norm's voice (flattening it out a bit and taking the low end out?) when combined with Norm's emulation of old time radio speaking style really did the trick.

Combined with hilarious commercials from the ancient days of radio, it was phenomenal.

It's a little too early to tell about the story itself. So far, beyond being a great take on the old shows (plus awesome absurdity like fire-escape lacrosse), it's not my usual cup of tea (mm, tea).

I'm going to miss the Mongolian Deathworm series when it finishes up. But I'm sure Norm will have some other crazy awesome thing for me to miss soon enough.

And, on a side note, Notepad++ does not not pre-configure Aspell. *pout* It's a shame because Aspell is a pain in the Ass-spell to installspell.

* I'm also pretty ambivalent about how he dies. Cross? Meh. Staking? Well, if you insist. Old age after surreptitiously moving to an undiscovered land to spread the good news of neo-conservatism and little Rovelings to indigenous peoples? I guess it could happen.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:53 pm

Just brilliant. Went to bed with a smile on my face listening to this one.

The main story was really good! It's like a cross between Frank Key and a superhero comic. Frank Key's specialty is how to make boring items interesting.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:32 pm

Excellent, I really liked this episode (duh!).

The main feature was a interesting change of pace for the Drabblecast, and it really suited the (superb) old time radio production. I liked the whimsical humour, and although I am not sure where the story is headed I am expecting shocking revelations concerning the fire marshall.

Connor's song would have had me choking back the tears (if I was not so stony hearted).

Norm++
Phenopath's Story Archive

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:22 pm

This is the first and only Drabblecast episode for which I have ever used my... fast-forward button. I used it twice. I will end my criticism there to avoid being stoned (with rocks).
Advertise in this space!

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:37 pm

You missed the best part!

The thought that you needed to make time to come be sheriff saddens me.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:08 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:This is the first and only Drabblecast episode for which I have ever used my... fast-forward button. I used it twice. I will end my criticism there to avoid being stoned (with rocks).
You clearly can't take the (slow) pace.
Phenopath's Story Archive

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:20 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:This is the first and only Drabblecast episode for which I have ever used my... fast-forward button. I used it twice. I will end my criticism there to avoid being stoned (with rocks).
Don't worry. Here at DC, we only stone with polar bears.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:58 am

I can clearly see how this story would be too slow and boring for some. I don't think I could criticize your criticism except that it would be fun to see the polar bears splat again.

I think there is a good point, that the pacing is of an early radio play. When I listen to the DC, I do the mental equivalent of pulling up my chair next to the fireplace. So the story sat just fine with me.

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:01 am

tbaker2500 wrote: it would be fun to see the polar bears splat again.
When I watch that video, I always hear the tune to "It's raining men" playing in my head, except with "polar bears" substituted in the lyrics. It seems so obvious to me that this should be the music that I'm still startled when I play it and don't hear what I expect.

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:08 am

Actually, the pace is why I only *think* I like it. I don't mind a meandering story if the ending was worth the trip. I'm just not seeing a major plot evolving yet.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

z00ker

Post by z00ker » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:18 pm

First time writer, long time listener. megadittos to Karl Rove.

If I learned anything from thie episode, it's that the drabblecast needs more spontanious lacrosse games to disturb semi-tense and almost romantic moments.

... and if coming here to post has taught me anything it's... it's not Mr cute yellow cartoon bird. But rather, Mr rough, coarse, unfinished woollen fabric.

All that aside, a great episode all around. Not one of the most memorable, but certainly enjoyable.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:49 pm

Wilkommen, zOOker. So there really is a Podunk, KS, huh? Please forgive our mess. As you know from peeking in the windows prior to coming in, we recently thought it would be fun to have a dwarf-bowling match in the living room. I often wonder about the vast horde of registered users who have yet to approach the campfire. I feel the eyeball presence rustling in the bushes. That is NOT the way you're going to bag your limit of pies.

Maybe your survival will convince them it's safe to enter. Especially the females.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:51 pm

Welcome, z00ker. Glad to have you aboard!