Drabblecast 144 - joanierules.bloggermax.com

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Damp_Obsession

Re: Drabblecast 144 - joanierules.bloggermax.com

Post by Damp_Obsession » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:24 am

I first have to say that I think Naomi did a great job with this, very convincing!

But...

Was I the only one stifling giggles while imagining Norm reading this story? It only lasted for the first few minutes, but I couldn't help but find amusement in the idea. It was probably because I'd just listened to the TLC Kate Gosslin intro before switching over, so that metrosexual/fashonista voice was what was playing through my head.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:24 pm

I liked the humour in this story; the blogette on a mission from God, the bewilderment of the English, and the Holy RPG of Antioch.

The blog format worked for me (ala Bridgette Jones). Joannie was well captured (and very well narrated by Naomi); the unlikely transition from the airhead to the holy warrior is fundamental to the story. The fact that Joannie does not understand her crusade, and that her world view has not completey changed (see the survey) suggest that the transformation is not absolute... or perhaps that nutters on Jihad are normal people, just deranged.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:06 pm

Naomi did a very good job filling Norm's size 10 shoes. I, too, was chuckling on how this would have sounded if Norm had read it. Knowing Norm, he could've pulled it off, I'm just glad he didn't.

I only have a passing knowledge of Joan of Arc, but I thought this was a humorous modern telling.

Thanks for another good episode!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Rish Outfield

Post by Rish Outfield » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:38 pm

I found this story to be surprisingly insightful and obliquely brilliant. I'm still thinking about it all this time later, which is unusual for such a short piece (especially one that seems so shallow in the beginning). A fantastic reading too, with a great, natural-sounding voice.

This was one of my favorite episodes, notwithstanding the damn drabble at the beginning.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:43 pm

Rish Outfield wrote:I found this story to be surprisingly insightful and obliquely brilliant. I'm still thinking about it all this time later, which is unusual for such a short piece (especially one that seems so shallow in the beginning). A fantastic reading too, with a great, natural-sounding voice.

This was one of my favorite episodes, notwithstanding the damn drabble at the beginning.
Aw, but the drabble was my favorite part. :D
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

Talia

Post by Talia » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:49 pm

The drabble had me LOLing while sitting in unmoving rush hour traffic this morning. Thanks for making my commute more bearable! ;) (course now I know that crack may help with that. Why didn't someone tell me before?). I dug the story too, though it took me a while to make the Joan of Arc connection.
Rish Outfield wrote:I notwithstanding the damn drabble at the beginning.
Clearly you just hadn't had enough crack before listening.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:09 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Naomi did a very good job filling Norm's size 10 shoes. I, too, was chuckling on how this would have sounded if Norm had read it. Knowing Norm, he could've pulled it off, I'm just glad he didn't.
Quoted for truth... Most of the story would have been fine with Norm reading it, but the apartment scene.... /shudders. :)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:59 pm

Cute. It took me quite a while to make the Joan of Arc connection, probably longer than it should have, nice new take on the story. It pulled off a blog format convincingly... unfortunately, I tend not to like blogs, little corners of the web where the authors talk about nothing but themselves (except for those that discuss topics of more general interest).