Page 1 of 2

Drabblecast 145 - Varmits!

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:44 pm
by Kevin Anderson
Drabble- Pest Proportions
by Ashley Nerbovig

Varmits!
by Steve Lowe

Those damn raccoons were here again.
I know it’s raccoons. Rather easy to deduce considering the scores of chocolate footprints everywhere....


Image

Art by Rudolpho Arrendondo

Re: Drabblecast 145- Varmits! by Steve Lowe

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:13 pm
by dreamrock
Oh, man. This one reeked of awesomeness.

Pest Proportions made for a beautify reflection on what the world would be like if ... well, yeah. ROUSes.

Somehow, when I know what the twabble is going to be, it often doesn't work as well for me. This one still worked awesomely even though I expected it.

Varmints! reminded me of Big O. Two old codgers fighting it out with mythical powers they (probably) don't really understand and done with Norm's amazing voice and production? Hell yes. The raccoons almost seemed to have a character of their own, even though at the end of the story, we're left wondering if all the intentions the protagonist read into them were just kind of silly.

Can't wait to hear more of Lowe's work. "Not to mention setting me up as an unreliable boob, unable to secure a simple knot." Damned raccoons.

Died laughing over Norm's interaction with the Reverend. "You need to stop eating my damned chickens, Reverend." You tell him, man.

Re: Drabblecast 145- Varmits! by Steve Lowe

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:57 pm
by tbaker2500
Rock on! Truly funny main story. Anybody who's dealt with raccoons has been through these thought processes. Well, maybe not THESE thought processes...

Really great stuff.

Re: Drabblecast 145- Varmits! by Steve Lowe

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:16 am
by Damp_Obsession
Ok, I totally loved this. Steve Lowe's dark and livid writing style, Norm's awesome narrating, and the hilarious premise all mixed together turned into a symphony slathered in awesomesauce. Let's hope it doesn't drip on the carpet. I laughed I cried, well I didn't really cry... But I throughly enjoyed it. I couldn't help but reminisce back to my old marching band days. He's right about the Tuba's you know, they are the bottom of the pecking order, except for maybe the clarinets.

I can't even begin to say how much the intro amused me.

Long live KFC!

Re: Drabblecast 145- Varmits! by Steve Lowe

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:54 pm
by ROU Killing Time
Nice old-school drabblecast. I'm really enjoying going back and forth between these and the over-produced (in a good way) episodes. It's stating the obvious to mention that the Sharpton bit was hilarious, and the main story gave me great validation as a former band-nerd.

Grats to PMS on the Twit-Fic win. I kew it wouldn't take you long to make your first appearance on the 'cast.

:thumbs:

Re: Drabblecast 145- Varmits! by Steve Lowe

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:21 pm
by Richmazzer
Loved it! All of it. Intro made me spit coffee from my mouth.Frankenstein chicken or jersey blue, the spat felt straight out of political talk radio.
The drabble was fun, the main story even more so. Ride of the valkeries scene was priceless.

Re: Drabblecast 145- Varmits! by Steve Lowe

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:06 pm
by Phenopath
That was deranged, I loved it.

Re: Drabblecast 145- Varmits! by Steve Lowe

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:22 am
by themorg
Richmazzer wrote:Loved it! All of it. Intro made me spit coffee from my mouth.Frankenstein chicken or jersey blue, the spat felt straight out of political talk radio.
The drabble was fun, the main story even more so. Ride of the valkeries scene was priceless.
i choked on my Coke zero but everything else was the same.

Re: Drabblecast 145- Varmits! by Steve Lowe

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:24 am
by moonowl
Great! Did they really press keys in the soap and get them cut? Or did someone forget his meds? Left just enough doubt and enough possibility.

I also kept thinking how 'bassoon' rhymes with 'raccoon'.

Great twit, PMS avenger!
Damp_Obsession wrote:they are the bottom of the pecking order, except for maybe the clarinets.
Hey! I played BASS clarinet! Where does that leave me? (Actually, sitting right next to the bassoons).

Re: Drabblecast 145- Varmits! by Steve Lowe

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:41 am
by ROU Killing Time
moonowl wrote:
Hey! I played BASS clarinet! Where does that leave me? (Actually, sitting right next to the bassoons).
Luckily I was in the trumpet section, which is arguably one of the cooler band-nerd types (although the flute section would disagree, but I think that's because they were pissed off at the hearing damage they incurred from sitting in front of us.)

But, we're all band nerds. When Gilbert asked those who were nerds to step forward, the entire marching band that joined him.

The possible exceptions to that rule are the saxophone players. Girls seem to really go for them. Maybe because they don't have that circular indentation on their lips from the mouthpiece, and because they can do that whole jazzy-sezzy thang.

Re: Drabblecast 145- Varmits! by Steve Lowe

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:05 pm
by Damp_Obsession
moonowl wrote: Hey! I played BASS clarinet! Where does that leave me? (Actually, sitting right next to the bassoons).
Bass Clarinets are geekeier! But that's a good thing! I was in the drumline, but it was the geeky section of the drumline so I'm low on the order too. XD

Woo Pit!
ROU Killing Time wrote: The possible exceptions to that rule are the saxophone players. Girls seem to really go for them. Maybe because they don't have that circular indentation on their lips from the mouthpiece, and because they can do that whole jazzy-sezzy thang.
Them and the drum line. We've got fast hands, fool.

Re: Drabblecast 145- Varmits! by Steve Lowe

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:59 pm
by ROU Killing Time
Damp_Obsession wrote:
moonowl wrote: Hey! I played BASS clarinet! Where does that leave me? (Actually, sitting right next to the bassoons).
Bass Clarinets are geekeier! But that's a good thing! I was in the drumline, but it was the geeky section of the drumline so I'm low on the order too. XD

Woo Pit!
ROU Killing Time wrote: The possible exceptions to that rule are the saxophone players. Girls seem to really go for them. Maybe because they don't have that circular indentation on their lips from the mouthpiece, and because they can do that whole jazzy-sezzy thang.
Them and the drum line. We've got fast hands, fool.
Fast hands is a good thing, but is it better than being adept at double and triple tonguing?

Re: Drabblecast 145- Varmits! by Steve Lowe

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:07 pm
by Damp_Obsession
ROU Killing Time wrote:
Fast hands is a good thing, but is it better than being adept at double and triple tonguing?
Ay, that's very true. But we drummers can do that too. Haven't you heard of tabla drums? If you skip to 5:40 you'll see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Joyk_EMtzn0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Re: Drabblecast 145- Varmits! by Steve Lowe

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:17 am
by myke_deschain
Great all and all program. Didn't really think I was going to like the main story all that much, though the language was done very nicely. As it went into the memories of band i started to dig it. Because apperently like everyone here i was also in band and the number of instruments when you start in elementary school are limited. I rocked the alto sax.
Damp_Obsession wrote:

Re: Drabblecast 145- Varmits! by Steve Lowe

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:59 am
by ROU Killing Time
Damp_Obsession wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote:
Fast hands is a good thing, but is it better than being adept at double and triple tonguing?
Ay, that's very true. But we drummers can do that too. Haven't you heard of tabla drums? If you skip to 5:40 you'll see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Joyk_EMtzn0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
I suppose it's also worth noting that while drummers may have fast hands (and no I hadn't heart about table drums) trumpet players have exceptionally nimble fingers. At least on their right hand.

(ok, after getting past the lecture, I'll concede that dude has some pretty nimble fingers too. On both hands no less, but everyone knows as far as getting your religious freak on, the hindus are right up there.)

Re: Drabblecast 145- Varmits! by Steve Lowe

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:27 am
by Damp_Obsession
ROU Killing Time wrote: but everyone knows as far as getting your religious freak on, the hindus are right up there.)
Very, very true.

Re: Drabblecast 145- Varmits! by Steve Lowe

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:38 am
by Talia
oh so us carniverous Al Sharptons aren't welcome here, huh. I SEE HOW IT IS.

I'll just take my things and go!


(great story. We've got tons of raccoons here in CT, I've always suspected they were up to something.
And everyone knows you can't trust a tuba player...)

Re: Drabblecast 145- Varmits! by Steve Lowe

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:27 am
by normsherman
Talia wrote:oh so us carniverous Al Sharptons aren't welcome here, huh. I SEE HOW IT IS.

I'll just take my things and go!
HA! :lol:

also
Holy crap are there a lot of former band geeks listening to Drabblecast or what? May have a new demographic to market to!

Re: Drabblecast 145- Varmits! by Steve Lowe

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:16 am
by moonowl
normsherman wrote: Holy crap are there a lot of former band geeks listening to Drabblecast or what? May have a new demographic to market to!
Former you say? (points finger at at least one editior who is still in a band)

Re: Drabblecast 145- Varmits! by Steve Lowe

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:37 am
by ROU Killing Time
normsherman wrote: Holy crap are there a lot of former band geeks listening to Drabblecast or what? May have a new demographic to market to!
Jeez Louise, what do you expect? Traditionally there are many more SF/Fantasy/cross-genre fans in the band than in, oh let's say, the football team.

There's probably lots of drama nerds listening too.

Probably not a surprise, but I'm 2 for 2 there, giving me a pretty strong nerd coefficient.

Also, I just used the word "coefficient" in a sentence, which ups the ratio even more.

Thank God I wasn't on the debate team.