Drabblecast 146 - Teddy Bears and Tea Parties

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
F5iver

Re: Drabblecast 146- Teddy Bears and Tea Parties

Post by F5iver » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:20 pm

Lordy!

This story is like being trapped in a Hieronymus Bosch or Salvador Dali painting.

A story that more perfectly captures the nature and transcendence of nightmare I cannot imagine.

Beth Peters

Post by Beth Peters » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:05 pm

That was AMAZING. I agree, it did have an Alice in Wonderland feel, but much more dark. I went to try to vote for it but you have to be a member! :-(
I hope it wins, that was really great. The imagery was cool and the ideas really twisted, but also original. I liked internalogic's review.
A Jetson Your Llama! I never said that it was a Mexican McDonalds!

myke_deschain

Post by myke_deschain » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:41 am

I've been meaning to write up something on this story alas I'm a very busy man and tonight is no different so i will keep it short and simply say:

It was an amazing story, one of my very favorite thus far from the drabblecast and short fiction of the horror genre abroad. I had to wait till i finished my breakfast at work to finish listening to this story. That's saying something.

Please, DC editor-sirs; more like this this.

...and though I'm sure this has been said already; give us all some jelly.

sboydtaylor

Post by sboydtaylor » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:32 pm

Thanks again, everyone! It's a joy to hear your impressions and reactions. And keep your fingers crossed. It's still possible it could make the Nebula final ballot. :)

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:47 pm

sboydtaylor wrote:Thanks again, everyone! It's a joy to hear your impressions and reactions. And keep your fingers crossed. It's still possible it could make the Nebula final ballot. :)
Good luck! Hope you stick around on the forums. You are certainly pleasantly odd enough to hang with us Weird Kids.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

vburn

Post by vburn » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:39 pm

Did anybody else find the teddy bears the easiest characters to relate with in this strange tale?
"I'm all outta lead 'n' my pencil won't write no mo'."

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:17 pm

vburn wrote:Did anybody else find the teddy bears the easiest characters to relate with in this strange tale?
I liked Monocle Man.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

thebrog

Post by thebrog » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:40 pm

Is it just me or do the teddybears' voices remind you of the Sklorno?
The Elitists Podcast
A Weekly Blizzard Entertainment News Podcast
http://www.Elitistpodcast.com/

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:46 pm

I like this one a lot. It's interesting with some clever new ideas. I'll put it in my personal top ten.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

poorturtle

Post by poorturtle » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:43 pm

I really enjoyed this. Creepy, and kept me interested - in fact, I was so enthralled, I had to stop what I was doing to sit down and listen.
http://www.ianmcdonnell.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Praxis

Post by Praxis » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:27 am

I feel like if I start posting on these here boards when I think "Well now *that* was the weirdest story I've ever heard" I'd have to keep going back and editing whenever another 'Clown Eggs' comes along.

But. THAT was the weirdest story ever.
Visceral, strange, scary, enticing (just what would vampiric teddy bear sweet juicy limbs taste like, anyway?), bit more scary, borderline hysterical (both the funny and trama versions) and just downright what-the-f**k-happened-to-create-that-world.

Wonderful. And, yes, the weirdest story ever.

Other posters have already commented on that we don't know the girl's name. I agree, it helps keep her slightly alien from the listener/reader. What also helps is that she is not, entirely, repulsed by the world in the story. If she reacted to everything that happened with fear, it would be a more simple horror story (girl in scary world, is scared). If she was unfazed and not scared by a world where 'everything everything everything eats' and where 'dead' toys talk to you and don't like you eating their limbs, then she'd be a darn cracked girl herself.
But the girl is balanced between both of those and, throughout the story, might tip either way. Personally, that was what made the story interesting, more than the weird-ass world itself.

So c'mon Norm, give it your best shot. Out-weird this story.

treeman

Post by treeman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:41 am

Yah, that was definitely weird. And awesome. I think it would have been great on its own...clearly it is, since it's a reprint. But as is so often the case on this podcast, the story is now epic after being read and produced by Norm.
somethings crawling out of my portable yoga mat!
Grocery Store Horror 4: Death By Natural Causes
It's not locally grown...

Insomniacagnostic

Post by Insomniacagnostic » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:46 am

Yeah pretty much everything Praxis said. This was possibly my absolute favorite, so weird, so alien, so many mind and reality bending creepy wonderful bits in this. Unmitigated pure awesome. Loved It.
Best WTF since clown eggs hands down.
I'm not dyslexic.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:54 pm

When I first read the drabble, I'd thought, "This is good" -- even though I was F'd out on the zombie genre.
But, when it was performed by Norm, it became awesome -- proof that "script", acting, and soundtrack really can work synergistic alchemy. Congrats, Phenotype and Norm, great result.

The twabble was an excellent repackaging of a decades-old joke. Way to go, PMS!

As for the story, I hesitate to tear into it too much -- especially after the author was kind enough to grace these forums.
Let's just say that it was a double whammy of two things I hate: Gratuitous horror and completely non-sequitur metaphysics. I felt that the author came up with the last sentence (a catchy blurb, if nihilistically misleading) and worked to torture the reader until ending with that hook seemed appropriate.

Scattercat

Post by Scattercat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:17 am

This story was freaking *awesome*. Holy tentacled horrors, Batesman! It reminded me a lot of "The Sultan of Meat" over on Pseudopod, but I have to say I preferred this one a lot. It was somehow more visceral, and having a storyline (however trippy) helped keep it on track. I think the eeriest part was exchange between the Girl and Ollie:

"We still love you."
"You all keep saying that..."

I'm also a sucker for creepy poetry. *Loved* the last few lines. This is what I wish I had the balls to write.

yoru

Post by yoru » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:03 am

Fine work Mr. Taylor. I enjoyed your story frightfully.
I have a friend who is a member of the SFWA. I will make sure she hears it.

nevermore_66
Location: Chapel Hill, NC (by way of Norway, Montreal, and October Country, IL)

Post by nevermore_66 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:30 pm

Oh, Lordy, Lordy!

This tickled me right in my undead inner child, straight through my ribcage, just under the psychic bed, and behind the bloody, obsidian altar where Santa Clause was sacrificed to Adulthood.

It was so...I can't...

Gah! I'm tripping over my ten typing tongues trying to tell one and all how much I enjoyed this. Other posters have already said a lot of it.

Some horror is just plain mean. It's beating ugly wads of meat. And that can give a certain thrill, I guess. But this, with its jelly gore (an awesome notion), touches the imagination just as completely as any good, adventurous fantasy.

Awesome production. Is that Nox Arcana and/or Midnight Syndicate I'm hearing on some of these casts? Did anyone else hear a sort of demonic Snarf in the voice of the cat?

It was so good...(think Ewan McGregor getting his first hit of heroine, after going clean, in Trainspotting, only it's not a needle, but iPod ear buds..."God, it's good...")

Going to go eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and shiver n' grin.
Boy meets girl.
Boy looses girl.
Boy gets girl back...
...one piece at a time.
Strangeness in the Proportion
(Now with 20% more absinthe!)

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:41 am

I'm seconding the demon Snarf
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:00 pm

*bing bing* I think I'm gonna make a little prize or something when listeners pick up things like that in the music or characterizations.
"Give us all some Jelly"

nevermore_66
Location: Chapel Hill, NC (by way of Norway, Montreal, and October Country, IL)

Post by nevermore_66 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:40 pm

All I want is a Teddy Bear full of jelly.
Boy meets girl.
Boy looses girl.
Boy gets girl back...
...one piece at a time.
Strangeness in the Proportion
(Now with 20% more absinthe!)