Drabblecast 151 - The Society of Eccentric Moustaches

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 151 - The Society of Eccentric Moustaches

Post by Kevin Anderson » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:01 pm

Drabble- The Birthday Party
by Josh Roseman

The Society of Eccentric Moustaches
by Daniel Lemoal

“I’m going to cut to the chase,” Zephyr said. “You’ll never make it as a magician. You just don’t have the moustache for it...”

Art by Arron Cambridge
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Re: Drabblecast 151- The Society of Eccentric Moustaches

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:00 am

Delightfully whimsical. Great voice characterizations (I'm reminded of the fawn from the Golem story a ways back.)

Not deep, not especially meaningful, but completely enjoyable.

Nice of you to throw a birthday party for me, even if it was belated by two days.

/noisemakers...
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

DougallStrange

Post by DougallStrange » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:09 pm

Man, I Hate Magicians that contemptable bunch of liars, they try and tell you that they are Magical but they are not their whole exsistence is built on a falsehood. Grrr Ok that’s out of my system, now this was an interesting tale I liked how the main characters Moustache envy drove him to an extreme solution and then pushed him to seek revenge on the Moustache of that thrice damned magician Zephyr.
Unnamable Cthuloid horrors, crumble rock, rusts scissors and inscribes paper with blasphemous secrets that cause your eyeballs to explode while your tongue catches fire from the unholy hymns your crazed mind forces you to scream out.

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:59 pm

Wow, 37 views with 2 replies indicates that I'm in the majority that doesn't know quite what to make of this. I agree with ROU about the voicing, but the premise that a great mustache is a necessary magical distraction isn't the strongest hook on which to hang a tale. DougalStrange tries to make the case for hating magicians as if they were clowns. But magicians are more like lawyers and politicians than clowns, so the hatred is more logical, less instinctive.
No, it seems, ROU has got it that this episode is more a confrontation with whimsicality.
I will say that Mrs. Strawman and I agree the episode's background music was spectacularly appropriate and inspired.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:18 pm

Once upon a time, many many years ago, my beard was spotty. I still remember those feelings of beard inadequacy. I feel for my brothers who won't hazard anything larger than a thin goatee or an insipid chin strap. We all were once as you are now.

For those men who can grow facial hair and choose not to, remember there are men in even this great nation of Canada*—perhaps your father or your uncle or that boss you had that one time who didn't suck—who will never know what it is like to grow a thick and glorious patch of facial hair. You owe it to them. Just like you owe it to starving kids in Africa to eat that kinda lame bit of limp carrot on your plate.

I like how this story turns what is stereotypically considered a female attribute—cosmetic vanity, etc.—and twists it backwards on something that most men don't bother having at all anymore. The ending feels like a bit of a non sequitur though.

--

I have a habit of opening the thread when there aren't any posts in it yet so I can read the episode notes in-forum without getting spoilerated. That counts for at least two of those page views. :D

*Haha! I promised I'd pick on Canada as soon as I got a reasonable chance. I don't just pick on the U.S.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:37 am

Fun story, strange ending. But the exit music was beautiful! What was it?
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Raptor Redux

Post by Raptor Redux » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:42 am

"Mustaches make our heart look like Burt Reynolds." Someone please explain what that means.

The lichen?? Strange ending. But I liked it.

Loved the drabble. Spiderbot's rule.

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:26 am

I'm pretty sure someone made a spiderbot someplace. There has to be one at Burning Man, right?

I liked it! Perhaps as a female, the whole going to extremes for body modification to fit in society thing rang true enough to cement it together for me.

My question is, if DNA mods were banned, why did he choose that over the other options? Or would hair plugs be banned as well?
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:26 am

moonowl wrote:I'm pretty sure someone made a spiderbot someplace. There has to be one at Burning Man, right?

I liked it! Perhaps as a female, the whole going to extremes for body modification to fit in society thing rang true enough to cement it together for me.

My question is, if DNA mods were banned, why did he choose that over the other options? Or would hair plugs be banned as well?
I got the impression that any non-natural modifications were banned. Not sure there is anything conclusive there, but the hypocrisy of the mentor using caterpillars at the end seemed to suggest this to me.

Has the snow melted yet? Did the whimsy lift you out of your funk?

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:27 am

Oh yes, I forgot to mention. Great cover art for the episode. Drabblecast is really taking on a pro look to go along with the pro sound.

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:53 pm

Yes, I needed some more weirdness!

Oh, and the Drabble was awesome! :mrgreen:

No, the snow is still hanging around. There is less of it, but still around. Getting brown and nasty and full of dog piles (I think people don't realize they have to scoop poop in the snow still? WTF? That doesn't melt.)
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

Richmazzer

Post by Richmazzer » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:25 pm

Raptor Redux wrote:"Mustaches make our heart look like Burt Reynolds." Someone please explain what that means.

In the words of Mr. Zephyr... "Now that's a dandy!"

Also, it's "Lycan," as in were-wolf. Not the hardy fungal fauna that can grow in deserts and high altitudes. Might clear up the ending for ya. :-)

I thought this was a great episode. Thanks for introducing me to the Ig awards. I hope to see your hamster (or medium sized dog) car taking first prize in "Green" technology next year.

Yes, the Drabble was outstanding. The main story was a great lighthearted offering from the heavier, serious (but awesome) pieces the last couple weeks. Another solid contribution to the "Stache Lit" genre, of which Drabblecast is a pioneer. Norm's range and vocal variety continues to astound.

feste451

Post by feste451 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:40 pm

As the owner and tender of a Reynolds-esque mustache for the past two decades, I now run the risk of liberation from the marital condition if I shave.

This was a drastic change of mood from what we've had during the past two or three weeks and a happily entertaining. One thing that hasn't changed is the awesome production values from the quirky sound effects to the ambiance set by music.

My name is Feste and I'm an addict....

Off topic: anyone remember a pair of Drabblenews items a long time ago featuring monster pigs?

"If we didn't shoot it, someone else would have."

At any rate, while reading the "Sharktopus" story on the Drabblenews board, there is a link to a trailer for a 2009 movie that made me laugh.
http://io9.com/5428496/korean-pig-monst ... splatstick" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
I want to change the world but no one will give the source code.

Raptor Redux

Post by Raptor Redux » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:43 am

Also, it's "Lycan," as in were-wolf. Not the hardy fungal fauna that can grow in deserts and high altitudes. Might clear up the ending for ya. :-)
Indeed it does.

Still do not understand Norm's statement about the heart and mustaches though. I need to take a smart pill I guess...

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:46 am

Raptor Redux wrote:Still do not understand Norm's statement about the heart and mustaches though. I need to take a smart pill I guess...
We were not meant to question Norm's ways. The best we can do is to search for guidance in understanding his word.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:25 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
Raptor Redux wrote:Still do not understand Norm's statement about the heart and mustaches though. I need to take a smart pill I guess...
We were not meant to question Norm's ways. The best we can do is to search for guidance in understanding his word.
Amen. Pass the mashed potatoes please, Tom.

(Hmm, if "Potato" is singular, then why is the plural "Potatoes?")

No wonder english is considered one of the hardest second languages to learn.

The PMS Avenger

Post by The PMS Avenger » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:43 am

As probably one of the few people here who is genetically incapable of (and socially discouraged from) growing facial hair, I did not see the light heartedness that you are all are finding in this story. Mustaches are no laughing matter. Frankly, I thought the story was a deep, haunting lamentation of a barefaced antihero in this thickly bearded world. Even now, hours after the story has concluded, my soul still wears the black 5 o'clock shadow of sorrow.
Communism was just a red herring!

HPHovercraft

Post by HPHovercraft » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:45 pm

OK, even after several days, it seems I'm going to be the first to ask:

Just what exactly DID Paul intend to do with the moustache, as he reached for it right at the end?

Oh, and for those discussing lichen/lycan - my first thought was also "lichen" although I got "lycan" immediately after. However, consider for a moment that a lichen is an organism that grows over and covers everything... kind of like Paul's hair. Can't quite express it the way I want to but suffice to say that in my head at least (somewhere normal humans fear to tread) "lichen" actually makes some sense.

//If I grew one I'd be sleeping cold till it was gone, and then for a week afterward to teach me a lesson.

///Had one while I was at Uni for a while - dad said "Keep it, it annoys your mother" while mum said - "Get rid of it - you look like the devil!"

strawman

Post by strawman » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:47 pm

Actually, lycan and lichen are pronounced identically. Intellesting.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:27 pm

My cat's nickname is Lap Lichen.

A lap lycan would probably be more interesting.