Drabblecast 152 - Trifecta XI

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 152 - Trifecta XI

Postby Kevin Anderson » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:14 am

Feature: The Existential Lizard by Alasdair Stuart
Feature: Cod Philosophy by Stephanie Campisi
Feature: Monkeys Imitating Humans Imitating Monkeys by Nancy Stebbins
No drabble for this episode.
Genres: Comedy Fantasy Strange

Wednesday, February 24th, 2010
Maeve stepped into his study. She took a moment to remember the smell, the scent of old leather and hot meat, of tea and savagery. Archie held a delicate forearm out which, carefully, she took, shaking the lead claw once.
... ...
"If there's one thing they teach you in podcasting school, it's that you always save the monkeys for last."

Read by: JB Goodspeed, Norm Sherman, and Josh Roseman
Music by: David Gosnell, Alan Langford, Christopher Willits, Norm Sherman, and J.S. Bach.
Episode Art: Skeet Scienski

Announcing the 2009 Drabblecast People's Choice Winners!
Best story: Babel Probe by David D. Levine (Episode 109)
Best Drabble: Absent Minded Professor by Peter Recore (Episode 138)

A shorter version of The Existential Lizard first appeared on the author's blog, Big AND Clever, February 2008.
Cod Philosophy was originally published at FARthing magazine #2, 2006.
Monkeys Imitating Humans Imitating Monkeys is a Drabblecast original story.

Twabble: “ The philosophers saw with dismay that there was nothing left to deconstruct. They glanced at each other suspiciously. ” by Mr. Tweedy
Last edited by Algernon Sydney is Dead on Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Standardize format. Add or correct links.

dreamrock

Re: Drabblecast 152- Trifecta XI

Postby dreamrock » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:10 am

I think I'm going to have to listen to this a third time at least before moving on.

The Existential Lizard was stunningly great. Tea and savagery indeed. "Tooth and claw and fur and fire." "Of tea ... and savagery." Really great prose and a really great story. It feels like it's simultaneously super-serious and self-parodying. Is Maeve really justified or is she just one of the last survivors of the previous ruling families who is taking a sort of frivolous revenge? Might be reading too much into that part. Really great story, though.

Monkeys Imitating Humans Imitating Monkeys was really heart-warming. The wife reminded me of a differently insane Jeffrey Goines from 12 Monkeys. I didn't get a strong impression from the husband, but we had enough to let us know the man and his monkey were going to be pretty happy together.

Cod Philosophy was kind of a brain burner. For awhile, I was just about sure the protagonist was insane. Then I wasn't so sure. After that, I was really conflicted but figured he could still be insane. After the story had been over for awhile, I thought about the possibility that if the protagonist had eaten the Cod, he might have been possessed just as the cat had been. Spooky.

On a personal note, I accept that fish are a necessary part of our ecology ... but those suckers freak me out.

--

I hate that game and I hate anthropomorphism now. God, I have to do a whole f*HORN* episode on it now.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

HPHovercraft

Postby HPHovercraft » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:38 am

I loved cod philosophy. Ah, Australia, me ol' stomping ground. Bert Newton on Good Morning Australia would make me want to do more than run along the beach though. There may be puking, or banging of heads. I can't be sure.

What I loved most about this week, strangely enough, was our kickass donor of the week. Apparently, he does vegetarian meet-ups. This probably unintentional pun inspired a twabble I posted over at the other board --

One by one the vegetarians arrived to the aroma of roasting Swedes. "Ah, I do love a good vegetarian meatup," one sighed.

//It's an old joke, but still hilarious.

HPHovercraft

Postby HPHovercraft » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:39 am

HPHovercraft wrote://It's an old joke, but still hilarious.

Er, and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Raptor Redux

Postby Raptor Redux » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:30 pm

I loved all three stories. The words were like poetry, and I mean that in a good way.

internalogic

Postby internalogic » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:34 pm

This episode kicked ass and Norm rocks. How's that for pithy hard-hitting commentary? It's all about content, Starks.

The Existential Lizard was indeed great. Accomplished so much in so little space. Incredible.

and finally, the return of 'Metroid (the lovers of Samus Aran), by Christopher Willits' (played during the intro). I first heard it in a previous Drabblecast episode and promptly tracked it down and bought it.
O Lord, Protect us from Your followers!

feste451

Postby feste451 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:42 pm

WOOHOO! Triple bill today on Anthropomorphic Theatre! Yay!

Generally speaking, I enjoyed listening to all three stories.

"The Existential Lizard" was very enjoyable, albeit a trifle predictable. Archie was quickly made as particularly loathsome. I wish I could have been more sympathetic toward Maeve as the wronged and long-suffering sibling. I guess because I never had a sister who I made feral and homocidal. For me, Jenkins was the most sympathetic even as the least developed character. Of course, being a butler, he was technically the most developed by stereotype.

While listening to "Cod Philosophy" the imagery I got was the afterlife a la the movie version of "What Dreams May Come." Truly bizarre but still enjoyable. I'm glad my cat shuns fish heads.

"Monkeys" was my least favorite story of the three (there has to be one). I think if the reading was more in the style of crime noir, it would have boosted my enjoyment. Something about the deadpan delivery. I did like how the characters were developed through their dialogue. It was pretty obvious why Otto made the choice he did.

Now I want to go and dig up my collected Usagi Yojimbo stories.
I want to change the world but no one will give the source code.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:08 pm

I've had this terrible head cold, and my brain is pretty slow right now. On top of that I listened while driving. I could not fathom what the last two stories were saying. So I'm putting this episode aside, getting well, then I will listen to it again.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:33 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:I've had this terrible head cold, and my brain is pretty slow right now. On top of that I listened while driving. I could not fathom what the last two stories were saying. So I'm putting this episode aside, getting well, then I will listen to it again.

Take that vitamin C Tom and get better. Head colds are a pain, that's for sure.

I was too busy cheering on the Canadians as they won the gold last night in the woman's hockey game. I'll be giving a listen today, shortly in fact, as I head out to grab some groceries. Lasagna tonight.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

themorg

Postby themorg » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:12 pm

I really like the story about the cod but the other 2 meh.

The monkey story felt very much like drabblecast material. The disregard of things other than the monkey made me think of the woman in a similar way to MDW and Choadsworths obsession with the worm. Also the anthropomorphism of a monkey pretending to be a human seemed a poor connection to anthropomorphic genre that connected the stories. Strange detective stories or things stolen seemed more connected to this story. i might have missed something but flying off in the sunset as the ending...

The Cod Philosophy was my favorite because it super imposed the idea that fish only want to be eaten. i love fish in any form be it rectangles or squares or circles, i even am willing to eat in stick form from time to time. My only part i have a problem with is i would never eat something i micturated or defecated upon. I would just put up with the fish incessantly nagging at me. Nothing that wants to be eaten ever ends well. How the cat took over the the pleading to be eaten i loved it.

Oh yea the lizard story... meh.
Boo Hoo i got kicked out of the house and i want to take revenge story. The words were fun to hear but it felt like it was a retold tale I've heard over and over again. There seems to be a romanticism about being thrown out of power and returning that is over done by all fiction. If an over throw happens people are shot in the back of the head and family's are butchered in their beads. No survivors until someone else overthrows them in a similar brutal fashion.

I would rate this TrifectaX 6.5 out of 10 over all. The Cod Philosophy was definitely the best.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/

Phenopath

Postby Phenopath » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:50 pm

I agree with theMorg; Cod Philosophy was also my favourite, definitely my cup of tea. Surrealism, combined with a relentless downbeat humour.

I also enjoyed "Monkeys Imitating Humans Imitating Monkeys" for both the title and the film noir pastiche. There were some mirthful lines.
"Are you going out?"
"No, I am agoraphobic"

Unfortunately with The Existential Lizard I was not really feeling it. I am not sure why the lizard was existential, and I was distinctly confused about the relationships between the characters.
Phenopath's Story Archive

moonowl

Postby moonowl » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:48 pm

Yay! Great trifecta! Complete with the honked out f-word!

Cod was my favorite. I really was hoping someone would take Mr. Fish to a therapist. Poor fishy. The details of the environment were great (and sometimes icky). The end was unexpected and delightful.

The Lizard one was fantastic. Yet another warning Jurassic Park type technology is a bad idea.
(Of course I still want a pet Compsognathus. Wise I am not.)

Monkeys. I suppose this isn't the board to reveal my almost-phobic dislike of the little crap flingers, is it?
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

HPHovercraft

Postby HPHovercraft » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:51 am

moonowl wrote:Monkeys. I suppose this isn't the board to reveal my almost-phobic dislike of the little crap flingers, is it?

If I was going to be an animal, I would be a monkey. Flinging poo 4tw!

Either that or a pidgeon, same reason.

dreamrock

Postby dreamrock » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:20 am

A kitten or some sort of bird. Not particular, just the flying kind.

There are appealing things about the possibility of being a monkey, but nothing appealing enough to make me choose it over being a kitten or a bird.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:00 am

Enjoyable threesome, I'd rank them in Cod/Monkey/Lizard order for my personal preference, but they were all anthropomorphic fun.
moonowl wrote:Monkeys. I suppose this isn't the board to reveal my almost-phobic dislike of the little crap flingers, is it?

Au contraire, it's the perfect place, imnsho. Plus it's cheaper than revealing to a therapist who will just joke around on the links with his buddies about them, whereas we shall embrace your monkey-phobia.

moonowl

Postby moonowl » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:59 am

HPHovercraft wrote:If I was going to be an animal, I would be a monkey. Flinging poo 4tw!

But....you are a animal and ARE a monkey! Of a sort. I have some friends with toddlers that fling poo.

This is why I don't like monkeys. They are like furry toddlers that never grow up. So you can't embarrass them years later and tell an amusing story about poo flinging to their date.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:36 pm

Ok guys, I need an English Major to help me understand Cod Philosophy. Why does the fish need to be eaten? Is it a statement about how the fish is nothing but a piece of the food chain? His existence is only justified if someone eats him? WTF?
And Why, oh Why did the guy not eat him? I mean, the pan was hot and everything! Instead he cuts the fish in half then puts both halves in the garbage? WTF?
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:23 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Ok guys, I need an English Major to help me understand Cod Philosophy. Why does the fish need to be eaten? Is it a statement about how the fish is nothing but a piece of the food chain? His existence is only justified if someone eats him? WTF?
And Why, oh Why did the guy not eat him? I mean, the pan was hot and everything! Instead he cuts the fish in half then puts both halves in the garbage? WTF?

I'm reminded of the guy who kept getting reincarnated and then killed by Arthur Dent. One time he cooked him up, then tossed him aside because he wasn't really that hungry.

Yes, I think it has something to do with "purpose of existence" from the cod's point of view.

I'm not an English major, but everything you really need to know can be found in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Don't Panic.

Phenopath

Postby Phenopath » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:28 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Ok guys, I need an English Major to help me understand Cod Philosophy. Why does the fish need to be eaten? Is it a statement about how the fish is nothing but a piece of the food chain? His existence is only justified if someone eats him? WTF?

Would you eat Mr Fish? :)
Phenopath's Story Archive

themorg

Postby themorg » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:36 pm

Ok, i am not an English major, but i heard it as within the fish world the fish would receive a great boon from being eaten and prepared by a human. the fish said "Please kind sir it is most important that you eat me. my integrity demands it." Use of the word Integrity imply that Fish have a hierarchy.

Later the fish says "There is, in the world of fishes, a certain importance on being eaten, the fine art of flaying. the crumbing the gorgeous aesthetic of garnishes of lemon and carrot slivers." This conveys the same implication that the hierarchy is very important to follow almost to a religious quest by the fish.

The fish goes on to say "The more worthy, well breed, the fish the better the likely hood of it being marinated in the most marvelous of sauces." i believe this speaks that the fish believes that he is low class and of low breed. The fish is a social climber and feels he can attain great renown from being consumed by Lucas.

Again the fish says that "there were hooks and nets and even Moby Dick rejected me."this leads me to believe that the fish has such a low opinion of himself that it was an intrinsic problem with himself that each hook or net missed him. This is the logic the anthropomorphism the author has given the fish. It is what differs from normal human intuition about fishing. Basically the fish believes it is his own failing that he was not caught where humans, many times, believe that it is there fault for not catching the fish.
For me it is what makes me love the story so much more than just a funny tale about the fish wanting to be eaten but a philosophical question of the under pinning of what fishing is.

At least it shows the barriers and, in this case the cultural divide between the two worlds making it my favorite story among the trifecta.

PS no quote was perfectly quoted but written out to convey what the fish said to give context to my assertions of meaning of the story.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”