Drabblecast 152 - Trifecta XI

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Phenopath

Re: Drabblecast 152- Trifecta XI

Post by Phenopath » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:40 pm

themorg wrote:
tbaker2500 wrote:Ok guys, I need an English Major to help me understand Cod Philosophy. Why does the fish need to be eaten? Is it a statement about how the fish is nothing but a piece of the food chain? His existence is only justified if someone eats him? WTF?
And Why, oh Why did the guy not eat him? I mean, the pan was hot and everything! Instead he cuts the fish in half then puts both halves in the garbage? WTF?
Ok, i am not an English major, but i heard it as within the fish world the fish would receive a great boon from being eaten and prepared by a human. the fish said "Please kind sir it is most important that you eat me. my integrity demands it." Use of the word Integrity imply that Fish have a hierarchy.

Later the fish says "There is, in the world of fishes, a certain importance on being eaten, the fine art of flaying. the crumbing the gorgeous aesthetic of garnishes of lemon and carrot slivers." This conveys the same implication that the hierarchy is very important to follow almost to a religious quest by the fish.

The fish goes on to say "The more worthy, well breed, the fish the better the likely hood of it being marinated in the most marvelous of sauces." i believe this speaks that the fish believes that he is low class and of low breed. The fish is a social climber and feels he can attain great renown from being consumed by Lucas.

Again the fish says that "there were hooks and nets and even Moby Dick rejected me."this leads me to believe that the fish has such a low opinion of himself that it was an intrinsic problem with himself that each hook or net missed him. This is the logic the anthropomorphism the author has given the fish. It is what differs from normal human intuition about fishing. Basically the fish believes it is his own failing that he was not caught where humans, many times, believe that it is there fault for not catching the fish.
For me it is what makes me love the story so much more than just a funny tale about the fish wanting to be eaten but a philosophical question of the under pinning of what fishing is.

At least it shows the barriers and, in this case the cultural divide between the two worlds making it my favorite story among the trifecta.

PS no quote was perfectly quoted but written out to convey what the fish said to give context to my assertions of meaning of the story.
You sound like an english major.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

themorg

Post by themorg » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:44 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:I'm reminded of the guy who kept getting reincarnated and then killed by Arthur Dent. One time he cooked him up, then tossed him aside because he wasn't really that hungry.

Yes, I think it has something to do with "purpose of existence" from the cod's point of view.

I'm not an English major, but everything you really need to know can be found in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Don't Panic.
It also reminded me of the cow that was engineered to be eaten at the Restaurant at the end of the universe. Adams, in the future, will be looked on as on as the smartest men to have lived. i hope in the year 4500 Philosophy courses cover Plato, Sun Tsu, and Adams.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

themorg

Post by themorg » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:45 pm

Phenopath wrote:You sound like an english major.
Currently my major is Personal Training.
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

HPHovercraft

Post by HPHovercraft » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:46 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:
tbaker2500 wrote: I'm reminded of the guy who kept getting reincarnated and then killed by Arthur Dent. One time he cooked him up, then tossed him aside because he wasn't really that hungry.

Don't Panic.
You mean Agrajag? Actually, I was more reminded of the cow in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. "I'll just nip off any shoot myself then..."

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:49 pm

themorg wrote:
Phenopath wrote:You sound like an english major.
Currently my major is Personal Training.
Keep fit?

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:18 pm

Thanks Morg.
I understand the purpose of existence, but I like your point about he's taking it as his fault he hasn't been caught yet. That's nice, thanks.

Next question: why does the story extend out to the cat? It just feels like too much happened in those last few sentences of the story.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:26 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Thanks Morg.
I understand the purpose of existence, but I like your point about he's taking it as his fault he hasn't been caught yet. That's nice, thanks.

Next question: why does the story extend out to the cat? It just feels like too much happened in those last few sentences of the story.
Tom, I agree with you there, I did not feel that the twist ending was necessary.

themorg

Post by themorg » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:11 am

tbaker2500 wrote:Next question: why does the story extend out to the cat? It just feels like too much happened in those last few sentences of the story.
Lucas broke the rules of the agreement with the cod. Without this underpinning we would assume that the sacrifice made by the fish was worthless. I like it ending where the fish dies but it feels incomplete.

You might have seen this Gorge Washington picture before.
Spoiler:
It is incomplete and lots of white space. The white space is the part that is left up to the imagination
Spoiler:
Same picture (basically) finished with details warped up nicely. This is the biggest problem i have with Disney. Everything is neatly and happily ever after you scan your Plus card.

It is also a setup by the author of how the magic works within his or her definition. I believe it necessary to quickly sum up the tale so strands of new questions help the audience complete it themselves. This is so the audience has to think on the fact that Lucas has to now eat his cat to fulfill his debt.

I think it brings up a good point of using inferred knowledge and inferred magicuse.
The reader knows what would happen if Lucas made a dog eat the cat.

See if you get what i am saying
Spoiler:
Lucas's debt would not be solved and he would then be forced to eat the dog
It is playing out continually in my head in a way that i really did not hear the next story until i stopped my MP3 player and let it gel in my brain. Also i love stories about fish anthropomorphized with value systems. honestly i hate fishing but love fish.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:34 pm

themorg wrote:It is also a setup by the author of how the magic works within his or her definition. I believe it necessary to quickly sum up the tale so strands of new questions help the audience complete it themselves. This is so the audience has to think on the fact that Lucas has to now eat his cat to fulfill his debt.

I think it brings up a good point of using inferred knowledge and inferred magicuse.
The reader knows what would happen if Lucas made a dog eat the cat.
(Upon proofreading my text below, I see that it sounds a little testy. It is not meant to, but I'm in too much of a hurry to rewrite it! :-) )

I'm not sure I agree with you on this. You are making the assumption that readers will reach the same conclusion if they only think about the facts. (Which is a contradiction to the point you were making earlier about George Washington. So I'm not sure which direction you're taking with this.)

I contend that this ending was rushed. The story leading up to the ending had total consistency within his world. Much time was spent defining multiple data points establishing how the world worked. The ending violated my expectations (the nature of a good twist) without being consistent with the carefully established story. A few extra sentences would have made a world of difference in my book.

HPHovercraft

Post by HPHovercraft » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:00 pm

tbaker2500 wrote: I contend that this ending was rushed. The story leading up to the ending had total consistency within his world. Much time was spent defining multiple data points establishing how the world worked. The ending violated my expectations (the nature of a good twist) without being consistent with the carefully established story. A few extra sentences would have made a world of difference in my book.
It's a little abrupt; not quite "and then I woke up and it was all a dream" abrupt.

In fact, I actually thought it fit quite well.

One can imagine

(Hotlinked for great laziness!)

being the next thing to go through his head - and that's a good place to end it.

Otherwise, as you all rightly point out, he could feed the cat to the dog, and the dog to a lion, and the lion to an orangutan, and the orangutan to a sloth, and make the sloth into a breakfast cereal and - hurrumph, I digress. Anyway at some point he either has to eat it, or it ends, and he's clearly not going to eat it, so it should end. And it does!

Hmmm, I see what you mean Tom. Mine comes across a bit irritated too... Sorry!

themorg

Post by themorg » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:17 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:A few extra sentences would have made a world of difference in my book.

i agree, i guess i was saying because it did not my imagination went wild and thought of the million things that might happen next.
tbaker2500 wrote: I see that it sounds a little testy.

i did not think it sounded testy at all.

themorg

Post by themorg » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:21 pm

HPHovercraft wrote:Otherwise, as you all rightly point out, he could feed the cat to the dog, and the dog to a lion, and the lion to an orangutan, and the orangutan to a sloth, and make the sloth into a breakfast cereal and - hurrumph, I digress. Anyway at some point he either has to eat it, or it ends, and he's clearly not going to eat it, so it should end. And it does!
New Sloth Flakes made with imitation sloth.

The off brand one would be
Slow Moving Mammal Crunch

and Post cereal company would just call it
Bran Flakes

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:53 am

themorg wrote:
tbaker2500 wrote:A few extra sentences would have made a world of difference in my book.

i agree, i guess i was saying because it did not my imagination went wild and thought of the million things that might happen next.

Hey congratulations themorg, your post count is now up to 1/3 devil! :twisted: 222 :twisted:

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:45 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
themorg wrote:

Hey congratulations themorg, your post count is now up to 1/3 devil! :twisted: 222 :twisted:
Good thing you signed for PayPal in advance, St.Tom. Two twisteds in one post. Have you no shame?
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:43 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:Good thing you signed for PayPal in advance, St.Tom. Two twisteds in one post. Have you no shame?
Hey, if ever there was a time to use twisteds, that was it. Plus I prepay Norm for my transgressions.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:24 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote:Good thing you signed for PayPal in advance, St.Tom. Two twisteds in one post. Have you no shame?
Hey, if ever there was a time to use twisteds, that was it. Plus I prepay Norm for my transgressions.
Indulgences via pay-pal. Gotta love the modern information age. It makes things so much more efficient.

:)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:20 pm

I love the smell of Trifecta in the Morning

Had to give this episode a double listen, but overall, well done.
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

Richmazzer

Post by Richmazzer » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:18 am

Monkeys was my favorite, but I liked them all. Maybe Norm's right and I'm a sucker for spider monkeys. I thought the reader's delivery was great. Clever how it fit but didn't fit into the anthropomorphism theme, while also, by it's title and subject matter was ambiguous on those same lines.

Cod was a fun mood piece. I recalled Campisi's knack for really unique and almost overboard imagery from her other Trifecta appearance, Aqua Vita.

Lizard was one of those stories that is a peephole into a really strange room. You get to see enough to know what things look like and what's going on, but then you're whisked away. So wealthy raptors are the bourgeoisie and Maeve is a terrorist breaking down the lizard system from the inside out through her connections (incestuous?) from the inside? Run with it!
Loved the music in all 3.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:40 am

Behind the curve again. :(

None of these stories really grabbed me. I enjoyed "Cod" for its evocative writing, but I did not like the end. I felt that the transfer of consciousness from the fish to the cat opened up the possibility that the being was really some sort of demon and wanted to be eaten so that it could posses a human body, as it had possessed the cat. That would have been interesting twist if it had come midway through the story, but as an end, it was just confusing, IMO.

What really stood out and what I will always remember in Norm's intro: Battletoads! As soon as Norm mentioned it, I knew where he was going. All the anger and frustration caused by Level 3 came bubbling back up inside me, still potent after all these years. I rue the fruitless hours spent beating levels 1 and 2 over and over again to get another shot at level 3, only to mercilessly slapped down every time by the grossly unfair and incongruous jet ski level. I mean, what the hell are jet skis even doing in a brawler? And what are you racing down? An intestine?

Norm, you touched me with that Battletoads reference. I felt a personal bond with you, that I had finally found someone who could understand and share my pain. Thank you, Norm. Thank you.
Advertise in this space!

Scattercat

Post by Scattercat » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:46 am

The nice thing is that even if the stories are meh, Norm still does intros and outros.

Battletoads FTW. Level 3 is *nothing* compared to the goddamned snake level. I've still never quite beaten the game without an infinite continues cheat. I can make it to the stupid final tower, though...