Drabblecast 153 - What Fluffy Knew

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 153 - What Fluffy Knew

Post by Kevin Anderson » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:38 pm

Drabble - The Offering
by Liz Mierzejewski

What Fluffy Knew
by Kristine Kathryn Rusch

"Her routine was perfect in its simplicity. She spent her mornings in the kitchen waiting for someone to brush her, her afternoons sprawled on the couch in the warm sunshine, and her evenings on the nearest lap. Sometimes she watched the water droplets in bathtub after her people took showers.
Yes. It was a good life.
Until they came....

Art by Liz Mierzejewski
Music by Helen Long, Aaron Derington, Shostakovitch, Schoenberg
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

themorg

Re: Drabblecast 153- What Fluffy Knew by Kristine Kathryn Rusch

Post by themorg » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:40 pm

I enjoyed it while i killed zombies and started a cult, a Kelp Cult. Cat story's don't usually do it for me but this one was a fun listen. i was hoping for a little more one the aliens but if fluffy was that set on destroying them then am not that worried. Hope Munsi is not hurt to bad from the atomic attack.

As a side note i got a pay check from the olive garden restaurant that i had not picked up at the end of my first marriage. With that messy dabble into my past i decided to become a 5$ a month member keeping my sanity from a time where i could not stay sane. Thanks drabblecast
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

munsi

Post by munsi » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:51 pm

i did enjoy this one, i thought the kitten POV was engagingly pulled off. however, my biggest takeaway from this story was the fact that i miss my puppy, seymore. i suppose that's just what humanized, sympathetic animal characters does to me. still, highly entertaining...

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:26 pm

This is a story for cat lovers, but it left me a little cold.

I loved Liz's drabble, it was irrepressible. But I did not think that the nocturnal visitors were cats...
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:12 am

Fun stuff from Liz. Drabble-hugs and high-fives. I'm not sure what I had in mind as far as what the visitors were. Seems like they could be cats, or cockroaches, or something even more sinister than those two options.

The main story was a pleasant bit of fluff /rimshot /cymbalcrash, and I quite enjoyed it. I was reminded of the Philip K. Dick story "Roog" where, unbeknown to the humans, man's best friend kept vigil against alien invaders , but in this case it was man's best fuzzy purring leaches who were looking out for themselves, with their human pets getting a nice dividend from their feline masters efforts.

The reading was very good. For some reason I always imagine cats in the feminine voice, even when they are Tom's. Then again, I always think of dogs in the masculine even when they are bitches. Not sure why. But for that reason, I think having a good female narrator worked very well, even if that meant it wasn't a Norm Sherman read story.

Probably won't be my first pick for peoples choice 2010, but that's not because I didn't enjoy it, it's just that it's gonna take one over the top, crazy awesome story to push Pratt's "Morris & The Machine" out of the running for that honor.

Fine episode of the drabblecast, as always,

I loves me drabblecast day.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:48 am

I accidentally listened to this one three times. The first two were on purpose, but for the third, I was trying to find this one particular part ... and it just so happened that the part I was listening for was in the closing statement and I got distracted by the awesomeness of the episode.

Loved this story. I had a little bit of trouble with the timeline, but by the third time, I had it figured out. I found a lot of congruence between Fluffy's views of reality and what our views of reality might be in a similar situation. Most of our society still thinks lemmings are so stupid that they follow other lemmings off cliffs even though they only do that when Disney documentary people herd them.

Who says we're not a princess? Come here, Fluffy, that's a good little princess.

"'Canada has the best hockey team in the world!' And that's a statement, not a fact."
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:05 pm

Kudos to drabblecast for representin' the female weirdos. We are small but mighty. However, quite sure people were avoiding me on the bus because I was laughing out loud about sausagefests. One of the best intros ever done.

Now you all know, the crazy cat ladies are not crazy. They just know how to keep the little aliens away.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:16 pm

I couldn't help but think of zZzacha listening to this while working in her Dutch sausage factory.
I feel sure she must have an opinion about the superiority of bunnies to Fluffies in combating alien hordes.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:47 pm

Oh. The part I was looking for? The part where Norm calls us "You weirdos." I get a special feeling when he says that. The one in my throat like I'm really touched. Jeez. :shock:
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

F5iver

Post by F5iver » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:21 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:Fun stuff from Liz. Drabble-hugs and high-fives. I'm not sure what I had in mind as far as what the visitors were. Seems like they could be cats, or cockroaches, or something even more sinister than those two options.
Thank you, Rou! :)

I was at first confused when I saw my name on the drabble. I thought Norm had made a mistake. It took a moment to register in my brain what he'd done, and then it was like Christmas in my mind! Lots of pine needles, things to return, and getting fat from cookies.

His interpretation was great. Totally unexpected, but it really worked.

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:42 am

Great show all around. Loved the creepy meow-meow Drabble. The feature had kind of a Cat Whisperer / World of the Worlds vibe going. Cutesy and horrifying all at the same time. Just excellent. Meow!
Raise your fists and scream "black smut"!

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:21 am

dreamrock wrote:Oh. The part I was looking for? The part where Norm calls us "You weirdos." I get a special feeling when he says that. The one in my throat like I'm really touched. Jeez. :shock:
Or when he talks about us forum denizens like we are his speshul snowflakes. :oops: Are we really that weird cause we like Uncle Norm and friends telling us a good story?

Oh, reading this week was awesome, almost for got to mention that!!!!
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:31 am

This was filled with win and LOL. The story, the reading, Liz's drabble, the wandering domino chain of Norm's intro - loved it!
http://cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://panamindorah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

munsi

Post by munsi » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:23 am

moonowl wrote:Kudos to drabblecast for representin' the female weirdos. We are small but mighty. However, quite sure people were avoiding me on the bus because I was laughing out loud about sausagefests. One of the best intros ever done.

Now you all know, the crazy cat ladies are not crazy. They just know how to keep the little aliens away.
...damn skippy he ought to! female weirdos try harder, since it's tougher for them to find like minded freaks! it leads to them being a higher quality of odd, in my experience

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:29 pm

dreamrock wrote:Oh. The part I was looking for? The part where Norm calls us "You weirdos." I get a special feeling when he says that. The one in my throat like I'm really touched. Jeez. :shock:
I know what you mean.

Great episode this week, Head Weirdo.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Richmazzer

Post by Richmazzer » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:29 am

I thought the reading was really fantastic on this one.
Not my favorite story, but certainly very entertaining. I really loved Sing, and this fell a good bit short of that wonderful piece. But I enjoyed how Fluffy kept her self-serving priorities in line the whole time, very accurate of cats, and it was spot on as far as the cultures of cat-people and kitty behavior. Loved the sound effects at the end while the tiny aliens were batted around and dismembered. My cats do the same thing to small insects and lizards that occasionally sneak inside and I think the scene replayed that kind of imagery perfect for anyone who owns a cat.

Good drabble and prob my fav twitfic so far!
The Drabblecast deters diabetes in adults and raises IQ in infants by 27%, and that's a statement!
Not a fact.

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:43 am

Oh, and now we all know what the cats are looking for when they seem to just stare into space, or at a wall...

Raptor Redux

Post by Raptor Redux » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:54 am

I loved the drabble and the main story. Great reading on both. I have trouble believing that ufo's can be that small, but it makes for an interesting story.

ChicagoMike

Post by ChicagoMike » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:42 am

The small spaceships reminded me of this passage from HG2G: "For thousands more years, the mighty ships tore across the empty wastes of space and finally dived screaming on to the first planet they came across--which happened to be the Earth--where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog."

themorg

Post by themorg » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:47 am

ChicagoMike wrote:The small spaceships reminded me of this passage from HG2G: "For thousands more years, the mighty ships tore across the empty wastes of space and finally dived screaming on to the first planet they came across--which happened to be the Earth--where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog."
welcome to forum and i agree. HG2G bleeds into everything SciFi and odd in a way that always amazes me. It was more of a philosophy than a fictional novel.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false