Drabblecast 154 - Family Values

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Beth Peters

Re: Drabblecast 154 - Family Values by Sara Genge

Post by Beth Peters » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:45 am

I loved this one! I really wasn't expecting to, since it seemed so "proper" at first, but I was really sold, maybe it was the spectacular reading. I also liked the music a lot (Ravel? Good cello player).
Felt like an alien Jane Austen wrote it and Tracy was Kiera Knightly.

God, intro was hilarious. The pedophile/102 year old girl clip was to die for. It is a cruel world.

Drabble: I'd say this one's an early contender for drabble of the year.
A Jetson Your Llama! I never said that it was a Mexican McDonalds!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:20 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:
First off- Norm, we love you, and want the DC to live a long and happy life. My grandfather died before I was born from throat cancer from cigars every night. Nasty stuff.
Oh Tom, the occasional Cognac-Coconut- Grape flavored Philly Blunt isn't going to do anything but increase my street cred and validate my school-of-hard-knocks, gangsta facade. Preciate you keepin it real though G.
"Give us all some Jelly"

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:49 pm

normsherman wrote:Oh Tom, the occasional Cognac-Coconut- Grape flavored Philly Blunt isn't going to do anything but increase my street cred and validate my school-of-hard-knocks, gangsta facade. Preciate you keepin it real though G.
I don't claim to know much about cigars, but I think we should get you something better than that. :lol: As long as it's occasional and not one a day, I'm guessing you'll be mostly fine.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:15 pm

Your life- just being appropriately concerned.

But about this gangsta facade- When you start popping caps from your .45, make sure you hold it upright and not sideways. You can't aim worth shit holding it sideways.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

themorg

Post by themorg » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:12 am

tbaker2500 wrote:Your life- just being appropriately concerned.

But about this gangsta facade- When you start popping caps from your .45, make sure you hold it upright and not sideways. You can't aim worth shit holding it sideways.
you can aim a shit?
probably read that one wrong.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Etaan

Post by Etaan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:38 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Second off- The volume was fine. However the narrator has a very hard to understand voice, so I had to turn up the volume about 40% to clearly hear the story. When you mix a silky voice with unusual words, it becomes hard to understand.
I would have to agree. I usually listen to my stories on the train, but kept missing out on some of her softer words. Without any background noise I was able to understand almost everything just fine, and I think that the surprising intensity and passion of the energy transfer scene was well worth the extra effort of following what this narrator was saying. (I was going to say "well worth the wait," but that just looked dirty once I typed it out.)

I said that I could understand almost everything because I still can't quite make out what the Teacher is saying at the 16:00 mark. I've created my forum account and am making my first post to see if I could get some help understanding what he said and meant by it.
"Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
"That is an excellent practice. But right now I'd suggest you concentrate on the Jabberwocky."

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:01 pm

Welcome Etaan. I had a poke about and found the text of the story here...

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/fiction/p ... ily-values" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

...at the point you mention Teacher is introducing himself as teacher of the muddy waters.
Phenopath's Story Archive

Etaan

Post by Etaan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:10 pm

Excellent, thank you. It was actually just after the introduction that I was wondering about, the part where he says "And I recall a certain Senator who was invested soon after her first marriage." The word "invested" was my best guess for what she was saying, but it didn't seem to make sense in that context.
"That is an excellent practice. But right now I'd suggest you concentrate on the Jabberwocky."

themorg

Post by themorg » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:00 pm

Etaan wrote:Excellent, thank you. It was actually just after the introduction that I was wondering about, the part where he says "And I recall a certain Senator who was invested soon after her first marriage." The word "invested" was my best guess for what she was saying, but it didn't seem to make sense in that context.
You know without knowing he was a teacher of the muddy waters you miss part of the diegesis of the story. I was fascinated by thinking of humans in the rolls played by the characters and then forced to remember that they are jellyfish. The Teacher just seems like he could be from anywhere or he is about to do something horrible at any time but saying something like where he is from gives Wu the opportunity to see if he legitimately who he says he is. Perhaps the Muddy waters is a prestigious university where all the little jellies hope to go and above reproach. In a way it makes the situation sexy and not as sleazy. (if i anthropomorphize my own human cultural taboos about sex into the story.)

an example

Hello, i am from, Uppsala universitet and i would love to dance. (and make passionate Electric love to you)

or

I'm here to fix deine cable, i am a teacher. (who plans on shocking you) (Quote from The Big Lebowski)

Welcome to the forum. Context is everything
Spoiler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-r02-oZ ... r_embedded
OMG i would love the know the context of this video
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Raptor Redux

Post by Raptor Redux » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:04 pm

normsherman wrote:
Interesting about the "fuzzy" and volume issues. Anyone else have this problem? Before posting, I always drive around the block and listen to the finished edit while smoking a cigar. If it makes it past my "car test," then I know it's good to hit the feed, and this one didn't raise any flags with me.
I listened to it twice while walking. The voice quality was fine each time. Though I found the music got in the way of the story the first time through. On the second listen, it blended in better and I enjoyed it much more.

It made for a fine episode.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:31 am

I'll go back and boost her vocal track up maybe 8-10% since enough people have commented. Won't be any trouble at all.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Scattercat

Post by Scattercat » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:19 am

Beth Peters wrote: Drabble: I'd say this one's an early contender for drabble of the year.
:-D Glad you liked it. The whole Wisest Stone series to date (except the one I forgot to tag from last year sometime and which as a consequence didn't get pulled into my initial tag-based sweep) is already posted down in the Drabbles forum, if you don't want to actually go to the blogger site and click on the Wisest Stone tag. (For some reason, search has been borked since I changed to my custom domain name; anyone got enough Blogger-fu to know how to fix it?)

RE: Cigars

I have a friend who likes to eat nothing but fatty fried food and smoke pipes and cigars as often as possible. He'd also drink to excess if he wasn't just that much of a Calvinist. If the laws of the universe work as my experiential data indicate, he'll live to be 110. Meanwhile, hummingbirds live only seven years. Life just ain't fair, is it?

(Everyone is welcome to smoke all they like, just please not in my actual presence because there is a non-zero chance that it will literally kill me. I am apparently part of the next stage of human evolution, adapted to live entirely indoors, in the dark, with filtered air. I'm like gene-engineered to live on a space station.)

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:27 pm

Didn't care for the background music, which was too intrusive. I thought the narrator was excellent. Her voice was delicate, but in an Audrey Hepburn kind of way, very distinct. I think that was why the music seemed heavy in comparison.
The story itself wasn't a top ten on the overall meter, although it gets a 10 for consistent weirdness. I had the feeling that the author got the story from prolonged observation of jellyfish in a large aquarium.

Not a bad technique, come to think of it. But I'd probably get a better vibe from a terrarium, since I'm a land mammal. Why aren't there any land critters with tentacles, huh? Tell me that.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Etaan

Post by Etaan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:57 pm

strawman wrote:Not a bad technique, come to think of it. But I'd probably get a better vibe from a terrarium, since I'm a land mammal. Why aren't there any land critters with tentacles, huh? Tell me that.
Snails were the first thing to came to mind, but then I came across this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star-nosed_mole" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:12 am

Excellent! Doubtless this was the inspiration for Death Mole in Season 1 of MBDM
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:32 am

normsherman wrote:I'll go back and boost her vocal track up maybe 8-10% since enough people have commented. Won't be any trouble at all.
"Fine", he says. "It won't be any trouble at all! The next story will be late because I am boosting the volume by a measly 8% but if that's what the audience wants, then fine.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:25 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:"Fine", he says. "It won't be any trouble at all! The next story will be late because I am boosting the volume by a measly 8% but if that's what the audience wants, then fine.
Yeah... As someone who has done things like this on occasion, it is a certain amount of trouble.
http://cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://panamindorah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

themorg

Post by themorg » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:51 pm

alhilton wrote:
tbaker2500 wrote:"Fine", he says. "It won't be any trouble at all! The next story will be late because I am boosting the volume by a measly 8% but if that's what the audience wants, then fine.
Yeah... As someone who has done things like this on occasion, it is a certain amount of trouble.
Agreed. The band i was in produced an album that we tweaked knobs for 3 months that (for all intensive purposes) sounded like the same live recording done on a handheld recorder.

i re listened to it last night with my junky 94db ear buds on a no frills mp3 player turned down with traffic around and it sounded good. I wish other podcasts did as much work as norm does.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:58 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:
normsherman wrote:I'll go back and boost her vocal track up maybe 8-10% since enough people have commented. Won't be any trouble at all.
"Fine", he says. "It won't be any trouble at all! The next story will be late because I am boosting the volume by a measly 8% but if that's what the audience wants, then fine.
And yea, verily ye shall have your Family Values with an 8-10% boost AND this week's show on this very nigh!
"Give us all some Jelly"

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:09 pm

normsherman wrote:
tbaker2500 wrote:
And yea, verily ye shall have your Family Values with an 8-10% boost AND this week's show on this very nigh!
And there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth amongst the unbelievers.
Phenopath's Story Archive