Drabblecast 065 - Old Clara's Favorites

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Mr. Tweedy

Drabblecast 065 - Old Clara's Favorites

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed May 21, 2008 8:47 pm

Drabblecast 65 - Old Clara's Favorites by Jonathan Gillespie

Let me tell you about that cellar. First, I think we went down more than a story. Second, you could smell the age in it. Third, I'd seen brighter places during an overnight whiteout in winter, with lights off and nothing but the moan of the blizzard keeping me company. This place was darker and almost as cold, but dead silent. Except for one sound: Scratches...

Drabble - "Grandpa's Stories" by Roy McDaniel

News - PETA offers $1000000 prize for invention of cybermeat.

W00t: deadjon is the forum's 100th member!

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Wed May 21, 2008 10:53 pm

That drabble was simply shocking. One of my favorites. Seems like the drabbles are getting better and better.

...and why exactly do we need cybermeat?
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu May 22, 2008 2:03 am

In a strange coincidence, here's the NYT link concerning cybrids:

http://judson.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05 ... mment-4295

Weird science sees no ethical problem playing with human-animal creations to produce "cybrids". Our ethical arguments will now be taken over by PETA.

Apparently it's okay to grow a man-cow in order to eat it, if that will spare the life of a cow?

bolddeceiver

Post by bolddeceiver » Thu May 22, 2008 5:26 am

Story was ehh, but not bad.

I've been following that bit of drabblenews since it broke, and I have some thoughts about it. My worry is that, much more than even modern farming methods, this has really scary potential consequences for livestock diversity.

As it is today, if all of our fancy civilization fell apart, we'd be stuck with very limited crop and livestock diversity. This is bad in and of itself; not only would crops be more prone to disease -- diverse stock means more natural resisters to any given bug, while homogenous stock means if the one bug comes along that kills, it'll kill just about everything -- but in the first place, the factory-farmed breeds are suited, well, to factory farming. I'm no survivalist, but if something happened, it'd be a problem.

Now imagine petri-meat really took hold on a worldwide basis (I'm not thinking near-term here, but in terms of centuries), replacing livestock for the majority of meat production. What then would we be left with if the meat factories stopped working -- if civilization collapsed, or if we ran out of the chemical inputs for the process, or whatever else? Other than maybe a handful of petting zoos or farmer's-market types raising heirloom species, nothing. Millenia of hard work breeding the domesticated livestock we're used to today, totally lost.
...the pagoda-like enclosure, where Japanese sand-badgers disported themselves...

Drabbling Daily

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Thu May 22, 2008 6:10 am

I dunno, I feel like there will always be some sort of critter to eat. Granted, you may have to lure her down into your carnie tent and club her, but that's beside the point.

If civilization collapsed finding healthy meat would only be one of the many problems we'd all be dealing with- along with trying to find a place with a decent wifi signal.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Thu May 22, 2008 11:08 pm

I liked the main story in this episode, and it almost felt as if the tale was drabblecast inspired. And I don't know if its just me, but I really enjoy the first person narrative in podcasts. Not so much for reading - I much prefer to read 3rd person stories but podcasting, especially flash, 1st person just seems to work better - like a good campfire story.

normsherman wrote:If civilization collapsed finding healthy meat would only be one of the many problems we'd all be dealing with- along with trying to find a place with a decent wifi signal.
If civilization did collapse, couldn't we just eat the zombies? Food for thought.

AynSavoy

Post by AynSavoy » Fri May 23, 2008 12:35 am

I'm pretty sure zombie flesh would be putrid. Would PETA have a problem with it, is my question.

For this week's main story, I either wanted more (of the beasties), or less overall, like it might have more impact for me if it WAS a drabble. Barring that, I thought it had some interesting ideas and just wanted more of them.

I liked the drabble this week a lot.

And Norm, you deserve to have YOUR brain aerosolized for that Schwarzenegger joke.
"she says 'I like long walks and sci-fi movies'"
http://amillionwordstogo.blogspot.com

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri May 23, 2008 2:29 am

AynSavoy wrote:
And Norm, you deserve to have YOUR brain aerosolized for that Schwarzenegger joke.
Oh, you mean that Scharzenburger joke?

:lol:
"Give us all some Jelly"

AynSavoy

Post by AynSavoy » Fri May 23, 2008 2:31 am

You are not helping your case. I'm buying you a ticket to Minnesota right now.

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Fri May 23, 2008 5:01 am

I've got to give the main story a huge, resounding 'meh.' Notice I'm not canning it --- it did everything it needed to to keep me listening. It just wasn't great.

I wonder if it's a matter of the general standard of stories on the Drabblecast evolving. If this had come out 50 episodes ago, I would've been gushing all over it. I guess I'm getting a little more finicky about what really presses my buttons. Oh, and it didn't have any poop (I kid, I kid!)

On the improving quality, this week's drabble has taken over as 'Best Drabble Eva' in cammoblammo's hypothetical list of best things ever. Last week's drabble was sitting there quite comfortably, but the touching blend of pathos, love and unspoken tragedy we witnessed this week knocked it from it's perch. No, really. I can get choked up just like the next guy, but to do it in 100 words takes some real skill.

Chivalrybean

Post by Chivalrybean » Fri May 23, 2008 6:12 pm

Grandpa: Always a sadistic joker. ... {>..>}

I liked the story... it could have used a more terrifying moment, it was like Eep! then he ran away, almost as if he was not in a whole lot of danger as soon as he hit the steps going up.

I did want him to survive like mad since, he, like me, is a husband of an expecting wife, which did not go unnoticed, so in the celler darkness I was hoping nothing bad happened to him.

Kevin Anderson wrote:
If civilization did collapse, couldn't we just eat the zombies? Food for thought.
Eat zombies? We could make a sandwhich line: Zedway, Eat Flesh!

AynSavoy

Post by AynSavoy » Fri May 23, 2008 6:16 pm

I like Zedway better as a name, though.

Photo credit: http://tcritic.com/archives/zombie-eat-flesh/

Chivalrybean

Post by Chivalrybean » Fri May 23, 2008 9:45 pm

So much for being original...

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Sat May 24, 2008 2:01 pm

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat May 24, 2008 3:41 pm

It is not true that McDonald's processed chicken is really Zombie McNuggets.
They use regular dead people. (The ones from China are extra hot.)

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Sat May 24, 2008 4:03 pm

Yes, I heard that as well. I also heard that they changed the name to Chicken McNuggets after the original name did poorly in all test markets, except Fresno, CA.

Soylent McGreen - had all the same dipping sauces though.

jonathancg

Thanks everyone

Post by jonathancg » Sat May 24, 2008 4:15 pm

Hi everyone,

I try to avoid commenting in discussion about my stories, but I just wanted to say I really appreciate everyone who listened to this tale, whether you liked it or not.

I also deeply appreciate the feedback, whether its positive comments or constructive criticism. It's my staff of life -- helps me improve. So thank you all for posting your comments.

I think Norm did a heck of a job with the story!

adam

Post by adam » Sun May 25, 2008 11:06 pm

DKT

Post by DKT » Tue May 27, 2008 11:16 pm

Really enjoyed this week's story. All the sound effects, the music, and Norm's pitch-perfect narration gave it a very creepy feel.

And I'm very much with Kevin Anderson -- First Person POV stories really work well for me in podcast form.

tadmaster

Post by tadmaster » Sat May 31, 2008 9:24 pm

strawman wrote:It is not true that McDonald's processed chicken is really Zombie McNuggets.
They use regular dead people. (The ones from China are extra hot.)
Would it be stereotyping to say I don't find them as filling?
Also known as Tango Alpha Delta; sometimes found in the wild at MySpace, del.icio.us, and Last.fm.