Drabblecast 155 - The Second Conquest of Earth

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Raptor Redux

Re: Drabblecast 155- The Second Conquest of Earth by L.J. Daly

Post by Raptor Redux » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:27 am

With the exception of the main story subject, which was not my favorite theme, I loved everything about this episode. And the main story was expertly done and performed. Nice how the Drabble News fit in with the stories. Pure inspiration. Thanks Norm.

stGurgel

Post by stGurgel » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:22 pm

Best. Podcast. Ever!
Loved every aspect of it, and not just the story, all the rest as well. Thanks for giving it to us.
/Peter

themorg

Post by themorg » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:00 am

This one really scared the $h!@ out of me by this one. It was a how the end of the world really seemed desperate like the end of the world. (at least a future one) I wanted to crawl our of my skin back into my safe hammock where humans were the dominant species.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:23 am

stGurgel wrote:Best. Podcast. Ever!
Loved every aspect of it, and not just the story, all the rest as well. Thanks for giving it to us.
/Peter
Welcome to the forums, Peter. Long time listener, first time poster, or did you just discover the pod-gold that is drabblecast?
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

j.ronald.lee

Post by j.ronald.lee » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:17 pm

I know I'm late on my comments for this episode, but I have to say it was one of my favorites in a very, very long time. I enjoy my science fiction served up with a large plate of dread. The foreboding tone, the misplaced foreshadowing, and the way our hero used her skills to stay involved in her mortal coil, if only for a bit longer... all came together for me in a short time. It's a story that, if it were the first chapter of a book, I would stay up all night reading to learn what happened.

Roarke's Juror

Post by Roarke's Juror » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:40 pm

Hi There! Just wanted to say that this story prompted me to join this forum as well as to chuck a few bucks Norm's way as a donation. Excellent story and a great podcast.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:20 pm

Roarke's Juror wrote:Hi There! Just wanted to say that this story prompted me to join this forum as well as to chuck a few bucks Norm's way as a donation. Excellent story and a great podcast.
How kick-ass of you, now that's the way to make a first post on the forums.

Welcome welcome. Enjoy your stay.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

shoebox

Post by shoebox » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:59 pm

At the risk of undercutting how much I love the goofier stuff that keeps me coming back to the Drabblecast every week, I have to say that "The Second Conquest of Earth" is quite possibly the best story the cast has ever run. Certainly it moved me like no other Drabblecast has. The way the unfolding of the backstory was mixed with the events and revelations of the current situation was absolutely perfect. The over-the-top effects on the alien's voice, and its contrast to the quiet frightened voice of the narrator, added a constant feeling of warning to the story beyond the implications of the words - it was impossible to forget even for a second that the narrator was one misstep away from a brutal death. Frightening and beautiful. Just perfectly done. Kudos aplenty to everyone involved.

-=ShoEboX=-

myke_deschain

Post by myke_deschain » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:11 am

yea... so i haven't been able to pursue this forum for some time now but I just need to drop a quick line about this story and say that it was by far one of the best serious pieces the DC has gotten its hands on... Oh, please more like this...

endersgame29

Post by endersgame29 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:15 am

have been away from Drabblecast a bit so just catching up...this is one of the best stories ever that i have heard on a podcast.
just as everyone has said...great story-short but rich, and lots of subtext--i want more of this world. Great reading both human and alien. Fantastic production...can't believe you do this week after week... i must send money to keep this going!

Unblinking

Re: Drabblecast 155- The Second Conquest of Earth by L.J. Da

Post by Unblinking » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:22 pm

I quite liked this one, it was like several stories overlapping each other with the backstory, the current story, and the tarot images on top of each other, complementing each other but not redundant. Very well done!

Etaan

Post by Etaan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:31 pm

Watching you comment your way through the archives is a great little trip down memory lane. How many do you have left?
"Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
"That is an excellent practice. But right now I'd suggest you concentrate on the Jabberwocky."

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:16 pm

Etaan wrote:Watching you comment your way through the archives is a great little trip down memory lane. How many do you have left?
I have a lot left to comment on (Around 150 to go, by my count!), so I hope you're enjoying it. Threadomancy is a pointless hobby of mine. :D

I have listened to all the non-B-sides episodes, I am just much slower to comment than I am to listen.

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Re: Drabblecast 155 - The Second Conquest of Earth

Post by Varda » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:12 pm

Holy crap! A story about a cold reading master! I've always wanted to write a story like this, but as others have pointed out, it's really hard to get into that masterful mindset of the fake psychic. Always encouraging your mark to feed you information, while you put on a show that convinces the person that you knew it all along. And to top it off, this fake psychic uses her powers for good and not for evil.

I thought it was kind of a meta-story, in that it's a story about believing in the power and scope of storytelling itself. Many years ago, I remember talking with an engineer friend who didn't understand why anyone not interested in being a writer should ever have to take a literature class after middle school since literature just doesn't seem to do much. Similarly, I love that this story opens with the idea that the humans are allowed to keep their religions because the invaders see religion as the "opiate of the masses", something more likely to pacify than to incite any sort of change.

But the point's that things like storytelling and religion do have their own power, although it unfolds over a long span of time. Someone much further up the thread provided an interesting account of continental drift, and I think this might be an appropriate metaphor for those slow, glacial changes that add up to be quite a lot in the end. But like a good fake psychic's mark, you won't even realize you've been led along.
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

strawman

Re: Drabblecast 155 - The Second Conquest of Earth

Post by strawman » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:35 pm

What else could explain the continued existence of print newspapers and magazines, which seem to lose more money every year? Got to be because the Storyteller has powerful juju.

We can only hope Norm uses his awesome powers for good.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"