Drabblecast 066 - Creatures in Disguise

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:30 pm

Chivalrybean wrote: It is like an old video with old graphics. If it is fun anyways, I'll play it, even if it doesn't look as sweet as Half-Life 2 or something.
Joust for Atari is still the best game ever.
"Give us all some Jelly"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:58 pm

Joust.. Archon..

My personal favorite is... oh darn it! What was it's name? Small character, you can drill either to the left or right of you. Bad dudes chase you, fall into pit, and you can walk over them. They crawl back out after 3 seconds or something. Bah, I'm getting old.

Tom
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:24 am

Dig Dug! It's Dig Dug man!

I, personally, hadn't noticed a negative trend (although I would probably be considered a part of it). Some stories are liked better than others. Some work better for different people. It might be coincidence that several less-beloved ones have landed in a row. It's probable that that would happen sometimes.

Concerning my own criticisms:

I think the Drabblecast is flippin' awesome. There are exactly two regularly released entertainments of which I would hate to miss an episodes: Drabblecast and Doctor Who. I like other stuff, but this is the only thing I anticipate every week. To me, Drabblecast is the act to beat. This isn't "just" the Drabblecast. This is The Drabblecast. That might sound kind of odd talking about a show that's mostly devoted to silliness, but a show doesn't have to be serious in tone to be of seriously good quality. Between the great production, the witty humor, the genre-defying diversity and the frequently great stories, the quality here is darn serious.

So, it's in that spirit that I offer criticism. I don't want to cut a story slack because it's "just" the Drabblecast. I want to criticize at the same level I would criticize a story in a "real" publication, because this is real, baby. It's an honor to have your story on such a great show, even if the market is small (for the moment), and any author should take criticism here with the understanding that their audience is used to really good stuff. I mean, a story that's "meh" by Drabblecast standards is "good" when compared to the average. Just being here makes you a peer with "Worm Within" , "Beekeepers" , a slew of other stories that were absolutely top-notch. That's an achievement.

I feel like I'm starting to ramble... Hopefully somebody feels me. Basically, I think serious criticism is appropriate here because this show is good enough to be taken seriously.
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:09 am

Well, I guess we come from different perspectives. I prefer to not comment on things I didn't like, and compliment on things I did like. I see no purpose in criticizing what are essentially volunteers. I see great good in promoting excellent work.

My 2c. Do with it what suits you.

Tom

AynSavoy

Post by AynSavoy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:07 am

tbaker2500 wrote:Well, I guess we come from different perspectives. I prefer to not comment on things I didn't like, and compliment on things I did like. I see no purpose in criticizing what are essentially volunteers. I see great good in promoting excellent work.
In my own defense, I've been in a fiction-writing workshop this term in school, and I've been critiquing five short stories a week for the past ten weeks in addition to writing and revising my own. So when I've been listening to DC recently my mind's had a more critical edge. (I've been getting harder on my own writing, too.)

Regarding what I said about the "twist" (or lack of one) in this story, I actually received an almost identical comment on one of my own stories recently: "I figured the end out in the second paragraph and it killed it," to which my response was, "You weren't supposed to have to figure it out, it's not about that." So that's where that came from...
"she says 'I like long walks and sci-fi movies'"
http://amillionwordstogo.blogspot.com

AynSavoy

Post by AynSavoy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:10 am

And, for the record, I've never stopped listening to a DC, or not enjoyed myself. That I can remember, anyway.
"she says 'I like long walks and sci-fi movies'"
http://amillionwordstogo.blogspot.com

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:07 pm

So, basically, everyone's here for the love. That's all you need, right?
Advertise in this space!

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:44 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:So, basically, everyone's here for the love. That's all you need, right?
...and Zombies
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:13 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Joust.. Archon..

My personal favorite is... oh darn it! What was it's name? Small character, you can drill either to the left or right of you. Bad dudes chase you, fall into pit, and you can walk over them. They crawl back out after 3 seconds or something. Bah, I'm getting old.

Tom
Lode Runner! That's it.

Tweedy, was that "Dig dug! Dig dug, man!" an tribute to Wierd Al?

"Yo, Ding Dongs, man! Ding Dongs! Yo!"

Tom

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:13 pm

Weird Al? No. I was just trying to pretend that I'm hip.

Now that I think about it, the baddies in Dig Dug didn't fall down the pits you dug. My bad. :oops:
Advertise in this space!

Gligstith(click)optok

Post by Gligstith(click)optok » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:38 pm

:shock:

As a recent contributor, I feel left out. There were some very kind comments left about my drabble, but no one criticized my work.

I wouldn’t have put it out there, if I weren’t ready for some honest feedback. Please feel free to go to the drabble cast 67 feedback and blast away.

dracken

Post by dracken » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:43 am

It just recently crossed my mind to check the DC forum to see if there are any comments on my drabble about monsters. I was very plesently surprised by the ammount of people who enjoyed it. It was fun writing a naive story about a childs revenge and it's great to see people like it. And I am even more pleased to say that I had another drabble accepted wohooo.

No about the quality of the DC, I have only started listening to it recently but I can say among the few podcasts I listen to DC is amazing due to its variations among generes and quality. I think it's diversity that makes this podcast trully cool and I hope that will remain in the future.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:32 am

I haven't laughed that hard on a drabble yet - good job. Keem 'em coming!

jonathancg

Post by jonathancg » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:16 pm

This is horribly late, but I just want to say I absolutely loved this story. This was excellent, from the narration, to premise, to resolution. My only beef was the stranger the man wound up with on the run. I didn't think their chance meeting was explained well enough.

But overall, excellent!
Author of "On Dasher", "Old Clara's Favorites", and a host of other tales available online and in print. Check out my site at http://jonathancg.net

planish

Post by planish » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:21 am

Drabble - Monsters: Yeah, sure you knew how it would end, right from the get-go, but the cameo from CM totally redeemed it. I didn't see that part coming. :lol:
[still catching up]

Unblinking

Re: Drabblecast 66 Creatures in Disguise by James Shacke

Post by Unblinking » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:35 pm

It is a testament to the standards of Weird that Drabblecast has set for itself that a story about evil duck attackers seems almost mundane. It is pretty hard to compare with the truth about ducks, with their corkscrew penises and labrynthine vaginas. Which isn't the author's fault, of course, but the revelation that ducks are vicious creatures prompts me to say "Yeah, I know. I've been listening to Drabble News."

TheBigBadG

Re: Drabblecast 066 - Creatures in Disguise

Post by TheBigBadG » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:08 pm

So I just want to check here - there's a story about killer ducks, the standardised term for people going missing is mentioned multiple times, both in the story and by Norm, there's a whole bunch of discussion afterwards and NO-ONE goes near the 'ab-duck-tion' gag? Shame on all of you...

ps: Archon. Archon Archon Archon. Chess and monster duels? Short of making a version you can play against a giant squid, that is pretty much it right there.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:39 pm

I'm ashamed.
I hope they don't come for me now. :shock:

sandrilde

Post by sandrilde » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:54 pm

I both hated and loved this. I don't believe the story has any lasting, redeeming value but it was a helluva lotta fun, particularly with Norm's oh so dramatic readings.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:31 pm

sandrilde wrote:I both hated and loved this. I don't believe the story has any lasting, redeeming value but it was a helluva lotta fun, particularly with Norm's oh so dramatic readings.
I thought being a helluva lotta fun was a great lasting, redeeming value to a story?