Drabblecast 160 - Trifecta XII

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 160 - Trifecta XII

Post by Kevin Anderson » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:04 pm

Never Forget Some Things
by G.A. Semones

Behindeye: A History
by Douglas Warrick

Sock Heroes
by M. Thomas

Art by Bo Kaier
Music - Phil Keaggy, Al Petteway, Norm Sherman, Flopsy and Clarence “Gatemouth” Brown
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Re: Drabblecast 160- Trifecta XII

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:32 pm

Best Trifecta Ever, I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this episode all.

I'll sum it up by handing out three Wiggly-Awards.

In the category of "Best Characters" the Wiggly goes to "Never Forget Some Things" c'mon people, Space Monkeys are awesome and the bit with the card-shuffling was just too good. Never forget the prehensile tail.

For best narration, shocking as it is that Norm doesn't capture the Wiggly, it goes to Behindeye: A History. That man has a voice straight out of the golden-age of science fiction radio. Buttery indeed. I'm going to go make some popcorn and give this episode a listen again, and pour story 2 all over the top of it.

For best story premise, "Sock Heroes" takes home that scary creepy Wiggly statuette for this touching tale of anthropomorphic foot wear. Accepting the Wiggly for the author is none other than our resident stocking knitter, Moonowl.

Top-notch episode, Mr.Sherman. Thank you so much for brightening my mood on a day when it needed some light shone on it.

Time to go do some nominating on the parsec awards. Too long has "The Northern Pike Fishing Podcast" been ignored by the academy.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:51 pm

Not to derail so early, but how does the nomination process work? Looks like they want to be sent stories?
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:52 am

1) Space Monkeys= awesome. I got a Greedo and Han flashback. I also won my personal 'guess this week's outro tagline' contest. YAY!

2) I don't understand! How can a skinless baby have skin on it's face? Is the guy blind or not? Where are the moths coming from?
Story wins for random wisecracks (paraphrase) like "they are going to attack soon....like now."

3) A production of my own with great readers. Squeee! It's about socks! YAY!
PSA: Please my good people, handwash and line dry your woolen socks.

4) Go nominate DC for a Parsec or you are a skinless, one socked space monkey.
(don't forget Abbie Hilton, either.)
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:24 am

moonowl wrote:1)
4) Go nominate DC for a Parsec or you are a skinless, one socked space monkey.
(don't forget Abbie Hilton, either.)
Copy and paste this to all your facebook friends. let's see if we can get 1 million people who aren't skinless one socked space monkeys...

munsi

Post by munsi » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:08 am

this is my favorite episode since The Great Old Pumpkin. All three stories were amazing, and I was smiling all day due to having listened to it whilst walking to work.

Talia

Post by Talia » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:21 pm

All three were awesome, but 'Sock Heroes' was a personal favorite for me. I mean, people take socks for granted. I mean, its so easy to assume they're just these scraps of fabric we throw on our feet for a while to keep our shoes from getting smelly. This story reveals the truth. They're not just footwear, they are VALIANT BEINGS who should be commended for their bravery in enduring the horrors of the washing machine time and time again. Thank you, socks. You've really got sole.

Or at least come near them sometimes.

Also, I'm pretty sure a maw much like described in the story currently exists in my wallet.

(as a random aside, the word for sock in French is "chaussette." Is that not the best word ever? I used it as a character name once).

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:32 pm

I had a similar theory regarding socks and only my mother might know whether I had it before M. Thomas's story was originally published. I certainly didn't have a story idea for it, and I don't think I ever would have had the guts to do a story this poignant involving socks. :lol: That said, I choked up over this story. At work. I hate it when that happens ... at work. But I don't hate that it happens. Drabblecast rarely does that for me which is ok because I don't want to cry for every story. Sock Heroes totally rocked and I believe the trouble it took to procure the story was 100% worth it. Many many props to Moonowl and to the actors in the story.

The temptation for those lines read in the drier to be shouted must have been strong, but that quiet read was much more emotionally powerful. It felt like if it had been a movie, you would know they only heard each other because they were so attuned to the other because of the depth of their relationship. It was heartbreaking.

I usually listen to Drabblecast episodes at least three times before moving them to my local archive. I had to listen to this episode three times for Behindeye ... and then listened to it all by itself twice more. I have the feeling that even if I had been paying close enough attention to realize what was actually being said at the beginning and end with the man and the chemicals the first time through, I still would have needed to have listened to it that many times. This is an incredibly dense story and I'm not complaining. Soooo not complaining. This is stark and beautiful and I don't understand it. It has points I think I understand. The flood metaphor for instance. The man and the boy deifying each other. The futility of the bugs thinking they understood the point so they no longer needed the frame that was supposed to be teaching them (so far as they were concerned).

At first I thought it was a comedic line when the author mentioned they were Jewish. That played very well. And then it became obvious that if it was comedic, it wasn't just comedy. It made me wonder if there was a deeper purpose, addressed at some other more common religion through the dim reflection of another faith. And, of course, there was an element of cosmicism: we are so small and insignificant that if we encountered aliens, gods, or anything to that level, we couldn't possibly hope to understand ... and we are most certainly not important.

I gotta mention at this point that I don't personally believe in cosmicism, but it's really rare outside of Cthulhu fiction and I'm far from minding viewpoints other than my own when in fiction.

Oh, and I gotta give mad props to the voice work on this too. I can't possibly imagine a better read for this.

I feel like I'm giving Never Forget the short shrift on this because I don't have a whole lot to say about it. It's awesome. Space monkeys rule. Con men stories rule. Norm's reading was brilliant too. Never forget the prehensile tail. Damn right.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:47 pm

Best Trifecta in a long time.

Never Forget Some Things was an excellent story, helping raise awareness of prehensile tales. (pun intended.) It was eclipsed only by Sock Heros, which is one of the better stories I have heard in a while.

With regards to Behindeye: I was so glad to hear Cheyenne Wright back after his illness. What a great voice for the story. For Mr. Warrick, I mean this in the kindest way possible: Please seek medical attention.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:02 am

I listened to Behindeye again. I get it now, the blind man is inside the bleach man's eye. Got it.

There is a thread I'm trying to follow about ending suffering by causing suffering. Jewish moths, killing the suffering skinless baby becasue it's suffering makes them suffer a never ending war (Hello Palestine!) and the bleach. Pain to erase pain that causes pain...over and over again in a cycle.

I need to listen to it 4 or 5 more times. I don't quite grok it, but I DO like it.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:15 am

Talia wrote:I mean, people take socks for granted. I mean, its so easy to assume they're just these scraps of fabric we throw on our feet for a while to keep our shoes from getting smelly.
That's because people buy $200 shoes and a ten pack of crappy socks for $5.

I admit one of the reasons I hunted for the story (besides the obsessive compulsive disorder) is that I am the Priestess of the Ministry of the Good Sock.

I am convinced one of the tragedies of mechanization is not evil robots taking over the world, but the death of a good fitting sock. If you can't be bothered to spend a good 12 hours of your life knitting a pair, go splurge and find a good brand like SmartWool. They are not scratchy, I promise. Cotton is wrong for socks. It needs elastic to hold it's shape,holds moisture and then smells. Wool is antimicrobial, breathes and can hold tons of liquid until you feel damp feet. Yes, even in the summer, as odd as it sounds, a thin wool sock beats a cotton crew any day.

I would knit more for other people, but then they demand MORE of them, and I don't have a sweatshop of spacemonkeys in my basement yet. Yes, i even know how to DARN a sock, and I feel like the last woman on the planet who owns a darning egg and knows what to do with it.

Just do NOT put them in the dryer!!!!!! :(

(if nothing else did, this post fully certifies me as a Weirdo.)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:27 am

Nah, not a weirdo, sorry. Moonowl, have you ever checked out Syne Mitchell's weavetech podcast plus website, etc? Pretty good stuff, plus she's a sci-fi author.

The PMS Avenger

Post by The PMS Avenger » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:22 am

Did anyone else notice the "vorp blade" in Never Forget Some Things? Was that a throwback to the vorpal sword in Jabberwocky or, more likely, am I just desperate for connections?

Behindeye: A History pretty much exemplifies why I love the Drabblecast so much. Really, the entire thing just blew my mind. The story was so strange and the narration so perfectly buttery and fit for the story, that as I was listening, I momentarily forgot that I was running on a treadmill.
And that dinosaurs are extinct.
And that, no matter what I do, Norm will never love me.
Plus the artwork was INCREDIBLE this week.
I simply cannot come up with enough glowing things to say about this episode!
Communism was just a red herring!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:54 am

tbaker2500 wrote:Nah, not a weirdo, sorry. Moonowl.
Why are you insulting moonowl, Tom.

Yes, you ARE a weirdo.

Just like the rest of us.

Fly that Woolen Freak-Flag High and Proud!!!.

;-)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:31 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:

Yes, you ARE a weirdo.

;-)
I'm just saying, that if she want's to be a true weirdo, she needs to do better than woolen socks and voting for a cat! I mean, at least vote for a penguin who rides an undead unicorn. That would have been a start.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:48 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote:

Yes, you ARE a weirdo.

;-)
I'm just saying, that if she want's to be a true weirdo, she needs to do better than woolen socks and voting for a cat! I mean, at least vote for a penguin who rides an undead unicorn. That would have been a start.
Let's not open up old wounds...

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:39 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:Let's not open up old wounds...
They never closed for me, comrade.

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:08 pm

Good stuff! This wasn't my favorite Trifecta ever but I thought all three stories was solid. Didn't quite see where the first story was going but loved the ending. A band of space monkeys in jet packs loaded up with 5 weapons a piece could do some major damage as an invasion force.

The second story was gross as hell and I didn't get how the moths played in the whole deal. Great narration, though, and the ending was cool.

As the wash doer of the family I could really relate to the sock story. That was top notch. I have a bag of single socks that I add to every load and try to match others up with on a regular basis. Where in the hell are the mates? I know that this is an ongoing worldwide mystery but what the hell? I'm sure there is a rational explanation but maybe there is an undiscovered reason - like the static electricity and circular motion of dryers creates a wormhole in to another dimension.
Raise your fists and scream "black smut"!

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:16 pm

Great way to dispose of a body: cut it up into foot-sized pieces, wrap it in a sock, and put it in the dryer
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:31 pm

strawman wrote:Great way to dispose of a body: cut it up into foot-sized pieces, wrap it in a sock, and put it in the dryer
I'm glad that, with the exception of this case, you use your powers for Good, Strawman.

That really is thinking outside the socks...