Drabblecast 160 - Trifecta XII

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
redkudu

Re: Drabblecast 160- Trifecta XII

Post by redkudu » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:34 am

>>Sock Heroes totally rocked and I believe the trouble it took to procure the story was 100% worth it.<<

I had no idea I was so difficult to find, until they found me. :)

When I wrote Sock Heroes, I wondered how far pathos could be pushed before it became absurdity, even comedy. I always felt I had been successful in pushing it to the comedic.

This podcast took it in a completely different direction, and it was beautiful. Thank you.

M. Thomas

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:52 am

Thank you for dropping by. It's always nice when an author makes an appearance on the forums. Norm's podcast is indeed a strange and wonderful place and your story fit right in alongside of the many great episodes he's so good at putting out for our enjoyment.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:00 am

Hello M. Thomas! Thanks for the wonderful story- it was quite beautiful. It was quite entertaining to try and track you down, even if I did come in second place.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:05 am

tbaker2500 wrote:Hello M. Thomas! Thanks for the wonderful story- it was quite beautiful. It was quite entertaining to try and track you down, even if I did come in second place.
Sort of like how you came in second place on the author welcome, you mean? :twisted:

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:08 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:
tbaker2500 wrote:Hello M. Thomas! Thanks for the wonderful story- it was quite beautiful. It was quite entertaining to try and track you down, even if I did come in second place.
Sort of like how you came in second place on the author welcome, you mean? :twisted:
Hey- I was recording audio for you during that post! :lol:
Damn, I'm getting slow in my old age.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:01 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote:
Hey- I was recording audio for you during that post! :lol:
Damn, I'm getting slow in my old age.
All part of my master plan.

I warned you about my dark and twisted evil side, didn't I?

gsemones

Post by gsemones » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Hi all!

Thanks for all the kind words about "Never Forget Some Things." I'm glad you all had so much fun with it! It's been a blast for me to listen to Norm's performance, that's for sure!

PMS Avenger, the vorpal sword reference popped out of my head while writing, and I immediately thought of "Jabberwocky." If anything, the only real connection there was a desire for resonance in the story with various genres and themes wrapped up together.

I am doing longer pieces with these two characters and their universe.... What really did happen at Eridani 4? :-)

Great stories and a great Trifecta, very happy to have been a part of it! Thanks Norm!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:59 pm

Let me be the first to say welcome dear author person. Looking forward to hearing more of what happened in the universe of the space monkeys. Fun fun stuff.

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:33 pm

When I think Space Monkeys, I think Planet of the Apes. When I think Planet of the Apes, so that I won't have to think Michael Jackson, I think Charlton Heston.
Imagine if the Space Monkeys did some research on Charleton Heston, watched The Ten Commandments and, not realizing that movies are movies, concluded that Charleton Heston is Moses.
Come to think of it, Planet of the Apes was pretty much Pharoah, Let My People Go, with Space Monkeys.

Bottom line: prehensile tales is not as good a power as a flame-throwing butt.
Nevertheless, a fine fecta.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:59 pm

strawman wrote:When I think Space Monkeys, I think Planet of the Apes. When I think Planet of the Apes, so that I won't have to think Michael Jackson, I think Charlton Heston.
Imagine if the Space Monkeys did some research on Charleton Heston, watched The Ten Commandments and, not realizing that movies are movies, concluded that Charleton Heston is Moses.
Come to think of it, Planet of the Apes was pretty much Pharoah, Let My People Go, with Space Monkeys.

Bottom line: prehensile tales is not as good a power as a flame-throwing butt.
Nevertheless, a fine fecta.
I looked up "stream of consciousness writing" in Google and this is what came up.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:26 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Best Trifecta in a long time.
Agreed. Like any right thinking person I appreciate any story with space monkeys in it, but behindeye really won it for me. I loved the florid language, relentlessly bizarre imagery and tweeny serving of darkest humour, all read with aplomb. Fantastic.

"Did it hurt? Goddamn right it hurt!" [referring to the insertion of crystalline dentures by moths for the purpose of murder]
Phenopath's Story Archive

Richmazzer

Post by Richmazzer » Sat May 01, 2010 9:12 pm

dreamrock wrote:. :lol: That said, I choked up over this story. At work. I hate it when that happens ... at work. But I don't hate that it happens. Drabblecast rarely does that for me which is ok because I don't want to cry for every story. Sock Heroes totally rocked and I believe the trouble it took to procure the story was 100% worth it. Many many props to Moonowl and to the actors in the story.

The temptation for those lines read in the drier to be shouted must have been strong, but that quiet read was much more emotionally powerful. It felt like if it had been a movie, you would know they only heard each other because they were so attuned to the other because of the depth of their relationship. It was heartbreaking.
OK, I don't feel so silly now admitting that I got choked up during this scene in this story also. Drabblecast gets me watery-eyed and emotional in ways that I don't feel embarrassed about sometimes (Morris and the Machine, Blue) and then there are stories like this one, and the Last Clown Hunt, that are such ridiculous premises but are written, read and produced with the music with such sincerity that I find myself touched and affected but also confused. C'mon, they were socks and clowns!

I can't think of anything else harder to pull off than that. So big kudos to Vinny, Norm and of course M. Thomas. Kudos for all of it, but specifically for that moment in the story when the wife sock sees in her husband's eyes what his decision was. Every word M. Thomas wrote up unil that point set that moment up. Then the beautiful crescendo in the music made that moment. What dreamrock said about the reading being quiet and attuned made that moment. The moment was greater than the absolute silliness of intelligent socks and linens in a dryer, fleeing a giant vortex. Crying and smiling at the same time. Someone should tell this lady that's what rainbows really are:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIYZvr3ueGw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Thanks nevermore 66 and Drabblecast twitter for the link!)

Trifectas are always fantastic, I imagine because Norm and crew get lots of shorter flash submitted and the competition gets tough for a slot on a special that only comes out every 3 months or so.
But I agree that this was one of the better Trifectas I can remember, maybe the best. Really fit with the theme.

I loved the space monkey partnership, the dynamic between the two characters was cute and funny (loved the monkey's disapproving glances and eye-rolling as the MC spun his yarn.) This was very well read and had a nice hook at the end (I play moonowl's game of guessing Norm's closing tag each week and finally guessed it this week after a stretch of defeat lately.)

God's almighty, Behindeye: A History was something else! Norm got the perfect reader here. I have to say that I haven't always been too excited by Cheyenne's narrations on Pseudopod, but he was outstanding on Drabblecast 131: Storm Comes a Calling and he was just phenomenal in Behindeye. This story was a lot like Sock Heroes in that it pulled off combining two very different vibes. It combined really twisted horror with comedy, and not schlock Evil Dead-type comedy, but a humor that was somehow understated and perfectly timed. And Cheyenne really articulated that well and holy smokes if the way he read the last few lines didn't send chills down my spine. I was on a jog while listening and this story stopped me dead in my tracks. I thought the author's use of repetition throughout was brilliant. Overall, one of the darkest production jobs Norm has ever pumped out, maybe since Swanwick's Hush and Hark, which I'll never forget. Oober creepy and powerful stuff.

MrARM

Post by MrARM » Mon May 03, 2010 5:40 pm

I have taken some time from playing god to register and post about the amazing story, Behindeye. I work at home and listen to the Drabblecast as often as it comes out, but I have never felt a pull of compulsion for even finding the Drabble website until I heard this story. No offence, I LOVE this cast! The visuals are those to spin my brain into a cotton candy web of frightening (in a good way) images. Thank you for producing such a distractingly aw inspiring podcast to allow my little people to dance between my fingers and sing your praise.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue May 04, 2010 1:06 am

Welcome to the forums MrARM. Take a load off, stay a while. You might even find you like it here.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue May 04, 2010 4:40 am

MrARM wrote:I have taken some time from playing god to register and post about the amazing story, Behindeye. I work at home and listen to the Drabblecast as often as it comes out, but I have never felt a pull of compulsion for even finding the Drabble website until I heard this story. No offence, I LOVE this cast! The visuals are those to spin my brain into a cotton candy web of frightening (in a good way) images. Thank you for producing such a distractingly aw inspiring podcast to allow my little people to dance between my fingers and sing your praise.
Oh just dandy, someone else that's playing God. Well listen here bub, I have have several galaxies worth of Culture-class Offensive Units primed and ready to defend my turf.

I jest of course, if there's one thing you can say about the infinite and ever-expanding meta-cosmos it's that it provides for plenty of elbow-room, and I'm glad you stopped by to say high.

In fact your post inspires a new personal motto for me.

"Listen to The Drabblecast. It's more fun than playing God!"

redkudu

Post by redkudu » Thu May 06, 2010 1:36 am

So big kudos to Vinny, Norm... Kudos for all of it, but specifically for that moment in the story when the wife sock sees in her husband's eyes what his decision was. Every word M. Thomas wrote up unil that point set that moment up. Then the beautiful crescendo in the music made that moment. What dreamrock said about the reading being quiet and attuned made that moment. The moment was greater than the absolute silliness of intelligent socks and linens in a dryer, fleeing a giant vortex. Crying and smiling at the same time.

Agreed. The music, the voices...the moment of silence and then the crescendo - you have said what I couldn't. I think what may make it an extraordinary experience is that when I listen to it (as I have, several times) it sounds like someone else's story. :) The reading makes it all new to me.

shagin

Post by shagin » Sun May 09, 2010 10:15 am

Sock Heroes was interesting, but the other two pieces...bleh...

Unnecessarily weird with nothing to hold interest.

El Barto

Post by El Barto » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:55 pm

My thoughts on the sock puppet story:

High quality
Thought provoking
Mind poking
Twisted
Clever
Awesomeness
Lovingly Hand-Stitched
By an author I assume has crazy hair

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:59 pm

Never Forget Some Things: This one did nothing for me. It depended entirely on a twist that I'd guessed from the first mention of "space monkey". I would think that someone who lives in a world with actual space monkeys would not forget the tail, so I wanted to yell into the iPod--"The tail, you idiot! The tail!"

Behindeye had a lot of amazing imagery, especially regarding the moths. I liked a lot of the language, but ultimately it just left me confused.

Sock Heroes was awesome! This was the first trifecta I listened to when I started listening to the Drabblecast, and this story has really stuck with me. I love how the author could take such a silly and absurd premise and give it genuine adventure and emotion. The production of it just multiplied this effect. Well done, well done!