Drabblecast 161 - Higher than Usual

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
danchambers

Re: Drabblecast 161- Higher than Usual

Post by danchambers » Thu May 06, 2010 5:36 pm

Hey guys, I'm really glad you all liked the reading, thanks for your feedback - I had great fun doing it! Not sure if you can tell, but I had rampant hayfever that day. Luckily, the bunged-up nose helped me bring out the narrator's character and really get my teeth into Derek's story.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu May 06, 2010 10:30 pm

Ah, thanks for stopping by.
Did you remember to vote today?
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

myke_deschain

Post by myke_deschain » Fri May 07, 2010 12:16 am

Loved this one.... The ability of a brit to not only keep their cool, but to be cheerful during a chaotic situation always makes me smile.. The narration by Chambers was simply amazing.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri May 07, 2010 3:25 am

danchambers wrote:Hey guys, I'm really glad you all liked the reading, thanks for your feedback - I had great fun doing it! Not sure if you can tell, but I had rampant hayfever that day. Luckily, the bunged-up nose helped me bring out the narrator's character and really get my teeth into Derek's story.
My advice then is keep some spare pollen socked away. I greatly enjoyed the narration. I'm a big fan of British humor; Monty Python, Hitchhikers, Dr.Who, etc, and you honored this tradition very well in your rendition.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Ignoranus

Post by Ignoranus » Sun May 09, 2010 6:42 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:
normsherman wrote:Maybe fluoride? We can't really tell-- but I think the title refers to higher than usual tempers and violence.
Do you know when they started fluoridation, Norm.

How does that coincide with your post war communist conspiracy?

Watch those precious bodily fluids.

Drink rain water, or distilled water only.
Norm, have you ever seen a communist drink water?

Under no account will a communist drink water, and even then, only under duress? Only vodka?

shagin

Post by shagin » Sun May 09, 2010 10:01 am

A fun listen all around. Happpy Birthday, Robot! reminds me of my oldest son when he was seven or eight and I could have wished this game was around to help him both at home and at school.

"Higher Than Usual" was a fun, high energy listen. Dan's reading was top notch with just the right amount of British sensibility and lunacy to carry the piece through. The eventual change in his tone perfectly matched Derek's subtle change in his presentation of the character and situation. I appreciated the fact that never once did we step out of the character's PoV to tell the story or relate portions of the setting.

I had to listen to certain portions twice to make certain I had heard the descriptions correctly, not because the author had done a poor job but because I wanted to make certain I hadn't missed anything. In a presentation this quirky, missing even a split second of the narrative would have been a loss. I was pleased that the author did not resort to a quick fix of an ending, how we were left with the ever popular questions of not only "What?" but "Why?". A definitive ansewr to the dilemma would have spoiled the mood and taken us away from the main character's focus.

Excellent story, a fine narrative, and great production. Well done, sirs!

Sandra

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Mon May 10, 2010 11:24 pm

The story amused me, but using what sounded like Edward's Song (Ice Dance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F608ouen5C8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) as background music seems wrong since I associate that music with a very gentle soul.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Tue May 11, 2010 9:09 pm

Playing some catchup here...

I found this story a bit repetitive, predictable and long. It had funny moments, but frankly not enough of them to make up for the pace. The reading was excellent, it just missed the mark for me.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

ZuSquared

Post by ZuSquared » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:47 pm

This is the story that prompted me to give up caffeine; and put my cricket bat back up in the the attic.

Nice one.

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:26 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:
normsherman wrote:Maybe fluoride? We can't really tell-- but I think the title refers to higher than usual tempers and violence.
Do you know when they started fluoridation, Norm.

How does that coincide with your post war communist conspiracy?

Watch those precious bodily fluids.

Drink rain water, or distilled water only.
But only water that you distill yourself. Do you really want to trust that your purchased distilled water has really been distilled properly?

This one was fun, and had a very catchy Monty Python feel to it. I like how it takes normal situations like departmental isolation and turns up the dial to 11 and makes it into a war, and yet somehow makes it hilarious! Well done, by both the writer and the reader, well done.