Drabblecast 070 - Reality Bites!

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:42 am

tbaker2500 wrote:For all we know, a Yeti is doing the writing!
In case you were wondering, here's a picture of Norm at work.

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:48 pm

Abominable. Snowman.
There's a DC story in how this baby got its name, hands down winner of the weird monster name contest. Secong place: the Boogie Man.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

The Dunesteef

Post by The Dunesteef » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:36 am

Good story. I, like Adam, was expecting the vampire to turn the tables on the insurance agent (a much scarier monster than any vampire) by turning her into an undead and forcing her to see things his way.

Maybe instead of her also being a vampire it would have been cooler if she was a werewolf or a...something else...just to give us a little variety.

Great read by Norm and Christina. I really enjoy the times when Norm includes another reader in the podcast.
Check out some great short stories at The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine

JimB

Post by JimB » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:00 pm

I considered making Cheryl demonic, but in less than 2000 words, it confuses the issue by dragging in other elements and forcing the reader to further suspend their disbelief. In this case keeping it simple was a better option.

Regards,
Jim

LajesticVantrashellofLob

Reality Bites Response

Post by LajesticVantrashellofLob » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:29 am

The story was certainly based on an interesting premise, but the twist ruined the story for me. Absolutely nothing goes right for the main character. He's trapped in a bureaucratic nightmare, and then he gets beaten up by a 300 year old vampire. I've had days like that, and I don't need to hear about someone else having the absolute worst day of his life. I've had enough of my own, thanks :)

Don't get me wrong, the premise of the U.S. government dealing with undead creatures in a bureaucratic fashion is brilliant, but this particular story just didn't work for me.

adam

Post by adam » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:56 am

i tend to be the other way around. i dont love depression or anything, but stories with really unfortunate endings, lacking resolution are special in that they ring true with real life. like the movie "Blow," if any of you have seen it. it's not in my list of favorite movies ever, but you can't say it's not powerfully effective.
if you've been around for a while, or have gone through the archives, you may note that both my submissions- Morton and Epiphany, both have the same sort of relentlessly-crappy-day vibe to them. jellypark-esque stories will always be better received (brilliant writing and creativity aside) for their cheeryness, but i think it's still fun and important to get a chuckle out of some misfortune from time to time.

LajesticVantrashellofLob

Post by LajesticVantrashellofLob » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:15 am

Actually, I quite liked Morton, 'cause the ending was awesome.

I actually torture the characters in my stories quite a bit as well, but not quite in the "the government is taking my house and my insurance company sucks." That's the kind of situation that I see enough of in real life.
Philosophy is a game with objectives and no rules. Mathematics is a game with rules and no objectives.

You're always the hero in your own story - life is about not being the villain in anyone else's.

JimB

Post by JimB » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:53 pm

Actually, considering she appears in both scenes, Cheryl is the "main character" of this story rather than Mr. Merrill.

I went with the premise that if such creatures existed, they would have problems just like the rest of us, money problems and the like. Just imagine spouses reanimating their dead husbands/wives so they can keep getting the social security checks.

After all, look at Cheryl. 100+ years, she still has to work as a lawyer - that kind of sucks. Sorry bad pun.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:29 pm

Quite enjoyed the story, but I did see the insurance lawyer being a vampire herself coming a parsec away... :-) I mean, aren't they all?

The report from South America had me in stitches...

sandrilde

Re: Drabblecast 070 - Reality Bites!

Post by sandrilde » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:51 pm

I absolutely loved this - light and fun twist on vampires forced to deal with the bureaucrasy (omg i have no idea how to spell that) of the modern day - cool stuff!