Drabblecast 162 - Birdwatcher

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 162 - Birdwatcher

Post by Kevin Anderson » Thu May 06, 2010 9:15 pm

Drabble- Wall of Gloves
by Matt Moore

Birdwatcher
by Garth Upshaw

I was poisoning crows the day the aliens arrived. They’re smarter than you might think – crows, not aliens – and they don’t go for any of the easy stuff anymore...

Art by Elan Trinidad
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

dreamrock

Re: Drabblecast 162- Birdwatcher by Garth Upshaw

Post by dreamrock » Thu May 06, 2010 9:46 pm

I'm totally convinced the $10/month donate option was added for my personal use. :lol:

I'll try to comment on the actual story content later. Freeforums is being a flaming pile of poo at the moment so I'd rather not risk the frustration.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri May 07, 2010 1:40 am

Does Portland thrown-down the strange, or what? Way to go, homeboy.

I enjoyed Birdwatcher very much. In some ways I was reminded of Iain Banks debut novel "The Wasp Factory" in the way the narrative followed the main character. Unlike that novel, this story had strange and enigmatic aliens too. Echoing the "living in the past" theme from Morris and the Machine, it was refreshing that the protagonist chose to live in the present rather than doping out on his alien egg to follow his true vocation of poisoning crows. Well written and creepy, this one gets a thumbs-up from ROU (and not just cause it's yet another Portland author...)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

lhoward

Post by lhoward » Fri May 07, 2010 3:26 pm

The story was shiny as always, but I'm here to talk about that awesome whale-milking shanty at the end. I grew up on Cape Cod, and have always have a certain nostalgia for whalers. And nipples, who doesn't love those? Is there someplace I can get an mp3 of that track?

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri May 07, 2010 5:08 pm

lhoward wrote:The story was shiny as always, but I'm here to talk about that awesome whale-milking shanty at the end. I grew up on Cape Cod, and have always have a certain nostalgia for whalers. And nipples, who doesn't love those? Is there someplace I can get an mp3 of that track?
It's available for download at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/normsherman for a very modest amount. And if you like nipples, well then Mr.lhoward sir, you should download the other track from the Norm Sherman album, "Everybody's Got Nipples."

btw, it's beautiful on the Cape today. Think I may go milk me a whale.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri May 07, 2010 10:55 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:
lhoward wrote:The story was shiny as always, but I'm here to talk about that awesome whale-milking shanty at the end. I grew up on Cape Cod, and have always have a certain nostalgia for whalers. And nipples, who doesn't love those? Is there someplace I can get an mp3 of that track?
It's available for download at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/normsherman for a very modest amount.
Even more modest now! Posting that link reminded me I wanted to bump the price down on that puppy. Thanks ROU!
"Give us all some Jelly"

Talia

Post by Talia » Sat May 08, 2010 3:56 am

I must confess the main story kinda baffled me a little bit. May require a re-listen, I'm not sure. The Drabble really made me think, and I realize I may have to reconsider the interior design at my place. Maybe the Wall of Spleens was not such a great idea.
lhoward wrote: And nipples, who doesn't love those?
I was beaten up by nipples when I was a child, I've hated them ever since.

myke_deschain

Post by myke_deschain » Sat May 08, 2010 6:08 am

Between the ep. art and the eerie foreboding music I had assumed the story would be a horror romp and after hearing "i was poisoning crows the day the aliens arrived.." i mimed a 'Yes!' motion and decided that this would be exactly what I needed to cheer me up at work... Though some how this one sorta lost momentum for me and fell flat at the end.. not sure why.. I was kinda busy at work and not really giving it all my attention, so it was probably my fault... might give it another go sometime...
ROU Killing Time wrote: In some ways I was reminded of Iain Banks debut novel "The Wasp Factory"
Honestly that's all I could think of...

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat May 08, 2010 6:27 am

myke_deschain wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote: In some ways I was reminded of Iain Banks debut novel "The Wasp Factory"
What a deeply disturbing book that is. I really wish Banks wrote short fiction, but he just doesn't seem to work in that realm at all. If he ever does though, a Banks story on Drabblecast would be too freaking awesome...

Maybe someday.

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat May 08, 2010 12:55 pm

I can't make the connection between poisoning crows and the aliens. and there were spots where it felt a tad overdone: naturally, with drama you don't "get"= Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. I was left wondering: if everyone got an egg, and you were the only one who chose to stay, does that mean you were the source of the world's unhappiness? Imagine being at a party. Everyone but you disappears, leaving you to clean up someone else's house. No thanks. Good thing I've got an egg.

Is there a subliminal message in the Mirrorshards?
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat May 08, 2010 12:56 pm

I can't make the connection between poisoning crows and the aliens. and there were spots where it felt a tad overdone: naturally, with drama you don't "get"= Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. I was left wondering: if everyone got an egg, and you were the only one who chose to stay, does that mean you were the source of the world's unhappiness? Imagine being at a party. Everyone but you disappears, leaving you to clean up someone else's house. No thanks. Good thing I've got an egg.

Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Sat May 08, 2010 1:24 pm

I was feeling ambivalent about this story until the end where our hero refused to fall into the alien's trap. Superb, does mankind's survival depend upon disaffected youth?

On reflection I think that there are plenty of people who would not choose the egg, but who would choose life. Although I agree that airline pilots would take the egg option, since they appear to me to be massively egotistical.

Nice drabble, btw.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Nixelplix

Post by Nixelplix » Sat May 08, 2010 2:10 pm

strawman wrote:

I thought it was a great episode! The poisoned mirrorshards were the kid's version of the egg!

MattMooreWrites

Post by MattMooreWrites » Sat May 08, 2010 6:23 pm

Talia wrote:I must confess the main story kinda baffled me a little bit. May require a re-listen, I'm not sure. The Drabble really made me think, and I realize I may have to reconsider the interior design at my place. Maybe the Wall of Spleens was not such a great idea.
lhoward wrote: And nipples, who doesn't love those?
I was beaten up by nipples when I was a child, I've hated them ever since.
Damn, Talia, you stole the idea for the follow-up drabble I was working on. - MM
MattMooreWrites.wordpress.com

MattMooreWrites

Post by MattMooreWrites » Sat May 08, 2010 6:24 pm

Phenopath wrote:Nice drabble, btw.
Thanks! - MM
MattMooreWrites.wordpress.com

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:48 am

This was a good story. It had all the elements of a story I would greatly dislike, but it won me over instead. The use of shiny eggs to kill off humans was beautiful. Probably the easiest conquest of Earth yet.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Tue May 11, 2010 9:12 pm

Good episode. I love how the cruel crow-killing sicko who is using the shiny trap thing himself is the one to not fall into the same trap the aliens are using.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

Roarke's Juror

Post by Roarke's Juror » Wed May 12, 2010 10:48 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:
myke_deschain wrote:
What a deeply disturbing book that is. I really wish Banks wrote short fiction, but he just doesn't seem to work in that realm at all. If he ever does though, a Banks story on Drabblecast would be too freaking awesome...

Maybe someday.
I think that "The State of the Art" is a selection of Sci-Fi shorts by Iain Banks. It's published under his sci-fi moniker Iain M. Banks.

Apologies for thread creep...

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed May 12, 2010 4:14 pm

Roarke's Juror wrote:
I think that "The State of the Art" is a selection of Sci-Fi shorts by Iain Banks. It's published under his sci-fi moniker Iain M. Banks.

Apologies for thread creep...
Yes, the very few shorts he's done, but that's at least 18 years old. Also most of it is a novella.

I did read that one of the stories from that collection "A Gift from the Culture" is going to be made into a movie. Odd choice. I'd have gone with "Use of Weapons" or "The Player of Games."

No one asked me though.

(I'll apologize for adding to the thread creep too, now...)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:24 pm

What a creepy thread...
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...