Drabblecast 164 - The Observer

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Talia

Re: Drabblecast 164- The Observer by Kristine Kathryn Rusch

Post by Talia » Tue May 25, 2010 6:49 pm

See I liked the format. I don't mind the juxtaposition of a darker story with the lighter stuff, if anything it keeps it from just been too dark an episode overall.

And I didn't think this was a weak story. Evidently there is going to be some severe difference in opinion on this matter though :p

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Tue May 25, 2010 10:15 pm

The main story was alright, but as I recall the EP episode that Talia linked was a stronger piece on similar themes; more visceral with a clearer storyline (and in which the female protagonists were responsible for the atrocities that they committed).

Sarah's narration was very good, and I love the rap... <hums> gimme fries motherfucker biggie fries motherfucker </hums>
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed May 26, 2010 12:43 am

moonowl wrote:Oh come on. No offense Strawman but I really disagree with the B-sides. Dude, I'm really surprised- you listen to MBDM and that was too much for you?!

Does the Drabblecast really need a PG-13 warning at this point? It doesn't have a clean rating on itunes as far as I can see. It isn't exactly a podcast with a history based for genteel or youthful ears. I don't mind an occasional over the top warning (pig brains, ew) but I'd get annoyed at Norm warning us about stuff at every dang show. I mean, rhythmic bleeping of mofo is somehow worse then the main story about victimization, self mutilation and ripping tentacles and eyes of innocent creatures that bleed color of soda?
It's a given that different people find offense in different places. Brothers Grimm in the original had as much gore and ew factor as the DC. But obviously we have some enormous desensitization on the mofo word. You talk seriously about misogynistic elements in the story, but overlook the plain, perverted misogynism of this term, which has been so widely used that it is "nothing more than an expression" which has lost its meaning.

But come on. It hasn't lost its meaning to me. It still means sexual intercourse with one's mother.

Another point is that I'm not going to offend my friends by suggesting DC to them this week. In fact, I will have to suggest that people skip it. I think Norm has stretched some boundaries in terms of "family-friendly" fare. And as you note, I'm pretty tolerant of weirdness and absurdity, because I value it.

But regardless of my opinion, I am sure that offensive language will reduce the potential audience for DC far more than its inclusion will increase it. Since I want to see DC grow, I hope Norm will take a step back.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Wed May 26, 2010 12:57 am

Oh good guns. It was an absurd song about a foolish guy ordering food in a musical style known for swearing. I really thing swearing had a point to reflect the style he was spoofing. No women were hurt in it's production, it was making a fool of the speaker. The thing you find so objectionable was mostly bleeped. heck, you even wrote mofo above. Isn't that just a beeped text version?

Norm has said tons of stuff before that was beeped, heck, whole sentences in MBDM and I know exactly what they guys were saying. Now it's a problem for you? I can't say I grok the sudden moral objections my friend. I'm just surprised. I'm kind of surprised anyone that listens here on a regular basis would be so worked up over something that wasn't even fully said, frankly.

(whoops, I accidentally deleted something else relevant I said here I can't remember. :lol: )
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed May 26, 2010 1:08 am

No, I don't think it is. You can still get arrested in all 50 states for public obscenity.

Spoiler:

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Wed May 26, 2010 1:11 am

strawman wrote:No, I don't think it is. You can still get arrested in all 50 states for public obscenity.
Then you can win court cases over it. Yay, the lawyers win.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed May 26, 2010 1:25 am

There are laws because the majority of people establish the rules. Which reinforces my point that DC will have a bigger audience if it avoids obscenity. That's all I'm sayin.

Spoiler:

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Wed May 26, 2010 1:38 am

I think I'd be more sensitive to what your saying if you didn't seem to listen to every episode anyway. B-sides, warnings, MBDM (which is sometimes plain vile and full o' beeps) or otherwise. I'm not attacking you, It's like you feasted on pork at my BBQ, and the next day became kosher. It's surprising.

I'm also pretty sure DC is not intended to be "family friendly" and acquire listeners interested in such. He does try to keep it reasonable, but the stories, content and humor are all pretty adult in nature. Not really for your typical 6 year old to be hearing, for example. Norm can correct me if I'm wrong.

Talia

Post by Talia » Wed May 26, 2010 2:54 am

strawman wrote:There are laws because the majority of people establish the rules. Which reinforces my point that DC will have a bigger audience if it avoids obscenity. That's all I'm sayin.
Sure. DC could have a bigger audience if it switched to playing nothing but Jonas Brothers music, too.
(never mind the legal stuff, I'm making a point here).

I rather refuse to believe DC would suddenly double its audience or something if it was decided to avoid all references to swearing at all times. Unless you are particularly suggesting DC should start orienting itself towards kids (????????????). You may know a lot of people who are offended to death by cuss words, but I, for example, don't know anyone who can't handle the rather limited amount of "bad words" you might hear on here. So I rather suspect DC's use or disuse of the words wouldn't affect as many people as you think. (maybe all your friends, but none of mine, etc, so it all balances out. I kinda suspect more people are ok with some limited amount of cussing but of course I can't prove this).

If DC were to make a point of editing out anything that offended anyone, anywhere, at any time, it would be a podcast about bunnies and rainbows. And not even interesting bunnies and rainbows.

I am sorry you weren't able to find humor in the song because of the language. That's too bad.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed May 26, 2010 3:48 am

Norm has used "bad words" before, and I didn't say anything.
Never said he should revamp the show to target 6 year olds.
I don't listen to the drunken MBDM discussions.
I've posted enough here that I think people know me well enough to recognize I'm not that easily offended, or want DC to be bunnies and rainbows.
I am sorry you weren't able to find humor in the song because of the language.
Who said I didn't find humor in the song?
I said what I said, and it's not what you said I said. Strawman is offended by the proliferation of an gratuitous incestuous obscenity in this week's episode. If members of the community object to Strawman giving this opinion, then maybe said community members should make me a sandwich.

Spoiler:

Talia

Post by Talia » Wed May 26, 2010 3:52 am

Get back into the kitchen and make you some pie? :D

SeldonCrisis

Post by SeldonCrisis » Wed May 26, 2010 3:54 am

Just wanted to say how much I absolutely loved this story, especially how the author told the story without actually, you know, telling a story. It was more of the equivalent of painting a picture than playing a movie and the style spared the audience all (well, most of) the gory details of combat/war while still showing its consequences. Very effective and powerful.

Also, the reader did a fan-freaking-tastic job with this story, and when I listened to it a second time, it gave me a chance to appreciate the very subtle background track which adds so much to the listening experience. Great production work (but that's nothing new).

As for Norm's rap (I'm pretty sure the neighbors think I'm crazy because they always hear me burst out laughing for no apparent reason when I'm walking my dogs, thanks Norm), I don't think it was inappropriate or that the Drabblecast should aim to edit their content so that they can cultivate their audience. The Drabblecast is, by definition, for "strange listeners;" not everyone is going to find the content appropriate or amusing. I could go on, but won't. Suffice it to say that I'll back the Drabblecast when Tippy tries to censor it.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed May 26, 2010 4:06 am

*sigh*
Now I remind people of Tipper.
There is apparently no decency remaining in the world to appeal to.

Blueberry, please.

Spoiler:

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:21 am

strawman wrote:*sigh*
Now I remind people of Tipper.
There is apparently no decency remaining in the world to appeal to.

Blueberry, please.
Poor Strawman. I don't even remember the language used in this rap, but I know where you are coming from. My pet peeve is the gratuitous use of sex in stories where there is no reason for it. Many good stories, which I would have liked to recommend to people like my parents or my nieces, I don't because of some stupid sex scene. Like Mur's pie hunter story.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Wed May 26, 2010 4:47 am

You don't listen to MB? what? I know you were fighting in there like the rest of us! You pick an animal on random non-facts without listening to the show? How can you be such a ill informed voter!? :o

You want decency? Here? bwahahahahahah!

I also want to know why mofo is incestuous?? Pretty sure technically any Dads out there fit the bill...

I love you anyway Strawman. I've said enough for once. Will you like wheat or rye?

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:54 am

moonowl wrote:You don't listen to MB? what? I know you were fighting in there like the rest of us! You pick an animal on random non-facts without listening to the show? How can you be such a ill informed voter!? :o
Um, they come out like a day before the polls close. All the info is from Bo and here on the forums.
You want decency? Here? bwahahahahahah!
Sorry moonowl, I'm going to take you to task on this one. This forum is full of decent people, doing decent things. Strange, yes. But generally decent.
I think you're going a little strong on strawman here, ripping him a new one for expressing his opinion. I hope you meant it all in jest, but it doesn't always seem that way.

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Wed May 26, 2010 5:04 am

Gee, that post was complete %100 silliness in content. I thought it was dead obvious, sorry. I even used little smiles and stuff. OK, OK, perhaps the part about bread was a little stern.

But I know you, my rival. You take anything to do with MB veeery seriously. I know you have all your random non-facts on imaginary critters in order. Prolly on spreadsheets and Powerpoint shows too.

( :D )

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed May 26, 2010 5:09 am

moonowl wrote:But I know you, my rival. You take anything to do with MB veeery seriously.
:lol: Says the lady who went to all her friends and convinced them to vote for pussy the last day? I was just mad that you had more friends than me! :lol:

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Wed May 26, 2010 5:11 am

See? I told you you, an indecent, shameless poll stuffer.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Wed May 26, 2010 5:32 am

that's what she said.
"Give us all some Jelly"