Drabblecast 164 - The Observer

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
moonowl

Re: Drabblecast 164- The Observer by Kristine Kathryn Rusch

Post by moonowl » Wed May 26, 2010 5:36 am

I was sincerely hoping someone would pick up on that.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

Outtops

Post by Outtops » Wed May 26, 2010 2:22 pm

The fiction was pretty great this week. As usual fantastic narration and production, but I think something needs to be said... Norm... please, PLEASE make the McDonalds rap available for download, It was beyond fantastic. You sir, are a lyrical genius. Hehehe down with those fajitas, priceless. Classic drabble news cast.
Props.

Wolfshade

Post by Wolfshade » Wed May 26, 2010 3:54 pm

I really liked this story. The voice fit it perfectly. The music was top notch. Seriously, every Drabblecast episode makes me a bit sad because it reminds me I have the musical talents of a dead person.
http://twitter.com/wolfshade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.fullcastpodcast.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:04 pm

Which dead person? Beethoven? Bach?
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Travelin Corpse Feet

Post by Travelin Corpse Feet » Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 pm

If Norm ever chooses to put out an all rap CD, I will gladly buy it. (Or will download it and burn it to a CD. I like my music on disc)

I really liked the rap. I think it struck me like it did because the it sticks a toe into R-rated territory, and most of what I've heard from this podcast so far (at least in the host segments) has been more PG-13'ish.

I didn't dig the story too much. Maybe it was just a little too subtle for my tastes. I wanted to know more about what the weird aliens were, though I suppose the piece was meant to be more introspective than anything else, and I could see how expanding too far might not work.
A story of love, lust and violence and a man in a jam.

'"Well, Here I Am" My blogogna.

My Twitter feed, Scribblepodium, is good for a laugh or a cry.

Wolfshade

Post by Wolfshade » Wed May 26, 2010 7:08 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Which dead person? Beethoven? Bach?

Anyone, really, considering they only decompose (as opposed to compose) at that point.....
http://twitter.com/wolfshade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.fullcastpodcast.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:51 pm

Wolfshade wrote:
tbaker2500 wrote:Which dead person? Beethoven? Bach?

Anyone, really, considering they only decompose (as opposed to compose) at that point.....
...And we're now heavily in Victor Borge territory. Gosh, he was wonderful.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Praxis

Post by Praxis » Fri May 28, 2010 11:10 pm

I hope this is taken as a compliment to the author but I found the later parts of the story (more detail about the 'conflict' with the squid type creatures) to be a distraction from the "main" part of the story - a fractured and artificial personality trying to find some equilibrium or, failing that, an quick end.

Even from the way the narrator describes what is left of 'her' (an AI, I'm assuming) and the original person I understood that something had gone very very wrong and that this was not entirely unexpected by the generals in charge.

I was already on her side so to speak, the fleshing out of what was actually happening up in space didn't change that.

Loved it overall.
"What are bones?"

Rish Outfield

Post by Rish Outfield » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:47 am

I absolutely adored both the McDonalds rap and the underlying music is Ms. Rusch's story. While I like Danny Elfman as much as the next guy (okay, waaaaaaay more than the next guy), the background music was ominous, sad, mysterious, and upsetting, and was masterfully done.

I've also gotta echo the one who said that listening to Drabblecast reminds them how untalented they are (though I'm paraphrasing). Sometimes it's good to see a master at work, to put our own feet back on the ground, and march us back to the cubicle where we belong.

Party on, Norm.

silverflute

Post by silverflute » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:59 am

The rap about Utah at the end made me laugh so hard I had to pull off the road. The stories on this podcast are second to none and yes the production is phenomenal, but Norm Sherman is what makes me excited to see this show downloading each week.

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:23 pm

Not a big fan of this one, I'm afraid. Too message heavy, and it seemed to be the same messages contained in the KKR story about women warriors over on EP. It also seemed to be hinging a great deal on the concept of the maternal instinct being the key to unstoppable warriors, which isn't really a new revelation--In Species, they made the opposite assumption, that a female human-alien hybrid would be docile, and yeah, that didn't work out so well.

The triple layered personality was interesting, but especially after hearing the too-similar story on EP, this one lacked luster.