Drabblecast 073 - All In

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics

The poker game: Ethical or unethical?

Ethical
42%
Unethical
16%
Tweedy, it's just a story. Who cares?
42%

Total votes: 19

Mr. Tweedy

Drabblecast 073 - All In

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:11 pm

All In by Peter Atwood

"Of course I'm in. I'm one treatment from gettin' clear and clean. I'm not leaving here without my pound of flesh."

A heavy thunk and a sharp yell came from behind the square-windowed door. I looked around. Tan Suit and Clipboard were gone. Fatso laughed.

"Sounds like my first eight ounces are being prepared..."

Drabble - Cleaning the Pallet by Michael Young

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:31 pm

Slight volume issues with the background music (lil loud)- sorry bout that. Am remixing and will republish.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:00 pm

Actually, I thought the audio was exceptional this week. I was going to say that this was one of the best-sounding Drabblecasts yet. Huh, I guess I just did. :)
Advertise in this space!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:03 pm

Sweet, well then I won't tweak it much. With headphones the music gets a tiny bit distracting, to me at least.
"Give us all some Jelly"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:39 pm

Yea, the music was a bit loud. I also missed Norm's narration.

I think this story was better suited for a drabble. I understood the concept right away, and the rest just seemed like filler.

I don't mean to sound negative, perhaps it's that the concept seems all to plausible, not very speculative.

Tom
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

willing

Post by StalinSays » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:26 pm

All parties are willing to play, so let them do so at their grotesque leisure.

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:51 pm

About not being so speculative, yeah, this reminds me of the embryonic stem cell discussions, or the Donner Party ghoulishness, where your health and happiness depend on consuming or injecting parts of other people which can regenerate your failing cells. Or cloning for transplantable organs; as in China, the harvesting of organs from executed prisoners. Or the kidnappings in India where you get bonked on the head, and when you wake up you've got a scar where your kidney used to be.

Yep; this is one drabblecast that's behind the speculative curve.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:16 am

I for one am surprised by the apathetic vote to Tweedy's pole on this one. Sure, this treatment alludes to the stem cell debate- which I always thought was pretty controversial.

"I'll call your bet and raise you three feti..."
"Give us all some Jelly"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:10 am

normsherman wrote:I for one am surprised by the apathetic vote to Tweedy's pole on this one.
Are you saying the Mr. Tweedy's Pole is apathetic?
Gross.

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:14 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Are you saying the Mr. Tweedy's Pole is apathetic?
Gross.
Introducing the Drabblecast Spellcheck program :idea:
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:47 pm

strawman wrote:
tbaker2500 wrote:Are you saying the Mr. Tweedy's Pole is apathetic?
Gross.
Introducing the Drabblecast Spellcheck program :idea:
Yes, one thing I really wish we had in this forum!
"Give us all some Jelly"

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:07 am

Okay, my half a kilobyte:

This story is classic Drabblecast. There weren't any unexpected twists---it was simply strange. I'm not sure if I liked it, but I certainly did appreciate it.

It did seem to miss the pizzazz that Norm's readings usually bring. That's saying a bit, because Ben Phillips isn't exactly a slouch when it comes to story telling.

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:39 am

I thought the story was OK. Creepy enough to keep me going. The narration and different voices were great. Not a keeper though.

BTW, Mr. Tweedy's Pole may be apathetic but his Austrian is one crazy mofo!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:29 am

Goldenrat wrote:I thought the story was OK. Creepy enough to keep me going. The narration and different voices were great. Not a keeper though.

BTW, Mr. Tweedy's Pole may be apathetic but his Austrian is one crazy mofo!
But not nearly as ambitious as his German.

guitardel

It's Just a Story

Post by guitardel » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:00 pm

I enjoyed the story. Disturbing, and I wanted to flip the author off, but I only have one opposable thumb left after the last game.

Listening in the car the production was fine.

Unethical at every level, but it is just a story. I liked the back story going on during the game.

Igwiz

Post by Igwiz » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:50 pm

I liked this story, but I agree that it was a bit predictable, and the use of "luck" as a deus ex machina was a bit cliche. The Queen high/Jack high plot device lost its drama for me as soon as he failed to make the flush draw.

Still, when the gambling started, I was hoping that we would also see some weirdness or magic, like the freaky stuff that went down in the Spanish film Intacto (2001), which is what the beginning background with coolers and clipboards reminded me of.

Overall though, it was a pretty good story, and I really enjoyed the characterization. Hey, I'm a characterization slut... you had me at Fatso and Tan Suit.
"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" ~ George Carlin

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:18 am

Mr. Tweedy is back after a week-long break to move stuff between appartments. Did you all miss me? *crickets* :(

I like this one pretty well. Not a Pumpkin Seeds by any means, but quite entertaining. It lacked overt wierdness, but it had lots of weird and creepy atmosphere. The idea of people playing poker with the winner taking loser's body parts as prize was good enough to support the story for pretty much it's whole length. Despite the predictability, I was kept in suspense because someone was going to lose something(!).

...I'm typing on my Wii and can only see about a dozen words at a time. It's rather difficult to keep my place. I feel like I've got lheimer's or something...

Oh, yeah, the story: Production was excellent, even for a Drabblecast. I especially liked the quantity of music, which added greatly to the mood...

Yeah. I totally can't keep my place... A word processor the Wii is not. :[
Advertise in this space!

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:54 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:Mr. Tweedy is back after a week-long break to move stuff between appartments. Did you all miss me? *crickets* :(
Mr. Tweedy, you're back! I hope the move went well and yeah, I sure missed the Tweed! It was an incredible silent week here at the forum, glad to have you back. Your absence left me totally silent, awaiting your return.

Now that you're back, I dare to raise my voice again. W00t!

I liked the story, although I had to start over a few times to get it completely. With my ADHD it's very complicated to totally get a story the first time, so I missed some essential stuff that was told in the beginning. Sometimes, that tells me that the story just wasn't written well enough for me. But this time, I was just too involved with reading the Drabblecast forum and caring for my sick cat (who used to have a penis and one white and one black ball and is getting used to being called 'she' in stead of 'he' these days. We're all getting used to the idea. And to the mess, especially with the FUNNY shield he/she has around his/her neck). Oh, and I was also cleaning up a bit. Did I mention I have ADHD?

I love recpas. Also, I love recaps and typing in the dark.
So: I am struggling with my ADHD, I have a cat with an identity crisis, I love it that Mr. Tweedy has found the time to return to the forum and I liked the story!

Thank you for your attention :]
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:34 pm

zZzacha wrote:
I liked the story, although I had to start over a few times to get it completely. With my ADHD it's very complicated to totally get a story the first time, so I missed some essential stuff that was told in the beginning. Sometimes, that tells me that the story just wasn't written well enough for me. But this time, I was just too involved with reading the Drabblecast forum and caring for my sick cat (who used to have a penis and one white and one black ball and is getting used to being called 'she' in stead of 'he' these days. We're all getting used to the idea. And to the mess, especially with the FUNNY shield he/she has around his/her neck). Oh, and I was also cleaning up a bit. Did I mention I have ADHD?

I count 141 words. Trim off 41 words and I think that's a great drabble!

Tom

guitardel

Baby Draws

Post by guitardel » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:07 pm

By the way, I loved this Drabble. Played it for my family, and they all loved it, the younger the better. Del.