Drabblecast 169 - The Reenactment

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
SeldonCrisis

Re: Drabblecast 169- The Reenactment by Ben H. Winters

Post by SeldonCrisis » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:13 pm

Maybe I'm gullible, but I found myself right there with Mr. Stanly in believing that he could actually be Alexander Hamilton, and that's what made the story so fun. This is the Drabblecast Universe, after all, so it is entirely possible that a high school history teacher ends up being the reincarnation of a historical figure, and that would explain his otherwise unexplainable obsession with the Burr-Hamilton duel. Plus, when Mr. Stanley came to believe he was Hamilton, he rose to the occasion and fought with valor instead of the douchebaggery he exhibited up til that point. So maybe he was Alexander Hamilton born to seek revenge.

But then, when Burr revealed his true identity as a disgruntled former student, I found myself right there with Mr. Stanley again, thinking, "Oh, that makes a lot more sense."

Great story.

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:29 pm

The Drabblecast forum extends a warm heydi-ho welcome to you, in the neighborhood of the great state of Georgia
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

waiting4oct

Post by waiting4oct » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:39 pm

Couple of minor production notes:
1) piss-KAT-uh-way
As a Rutgers Engineering Alumnus, gotta say, it's funny to hear that mispronounced :)

2)During the duel you play a fife and drum corps, it's the British Grenadiers, probably not what any band would be playing in Northern Jersey in the early 19th Century. (beautifully altered in the Black Adder)

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:04 pm

:lol:
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

ejbman

Post by ejbman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:39 am

I liked this one quite a bit.

The problem is that frisson is pronouned "friss-son" not "frishun". Norm mispronounces at least one word in each episode. I know it makes me obsessive to notice.

But if I were just a little more obsessive, I would make a collection of the recordings of each of those words and look for a hidden meaning in the inevitably freakish beat poetry thereof.

And if I were just a little more obsessive, I would translate it into Hungarian, read it aloud, then record it and play it backwards listening for hidden, Satanic messages.

But I'm not that obsessive.
The Dribblecast: Beepin' Good.

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 am

I think it goes to show the quality of the stories on the Crabble cast that, while this is one of the weaker oens I've heard, it's still awesome, going for the amusing over the weird.

The main character was broadly drawn, but I would guess purposefully, given that I'm sure we all have known a teacher like this somewhere along the lines, and his descent into 'oh my god, this is ghost of Burr!' was so heartfelt he had me right there with him. And then the 'that makes sense' had me literally guffawing. I didn't know I could guffaw, but there you go.

Great story, great delivery, great everything. Well done, guys. Oh, and hi, I'm new :wink:
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Mikes wrote:Great story, great delivery, great everything. Well done, guys. Oh, and hi, I'm new :wink:
Hi New, I'm Tom. Welcome to the forums!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

zcarter80

Post by zcarter80 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:21 am

I Think that this was such a well read piece that it made the story what it was. it wouldn't have worked half as well if i had simply seen it in the written word format Norm really brought this one to life for me. Thanks Norm. The only thing i think that could have taken the story somewhere else I would have like to see would be if the main characters had really become their counterparts and it had changed history in the end. After all there's always room for another Political smack down or bloody patriotic brawl in the history books right?
If I wrote it you can read it unless you sound like Fran Drescher.

tamarbucks

Post by tamarbucks » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:15 pm

Clever , witty! Love that its a modern take on a classic format.

Nice flow and perfect reading of the story had me building up to the twist in eager anticipation. On the edge of my seat, with my concern not for our "incarnated spirit of a hero" but my fear being, well, that the story would wuss out and he would not end up getting shot. Way to deliver a punch line. The "You shot me" made me laugh out loud.

5 stars for the pronunciation of "schedule" as "shed-dewl".

Much happiness to hear Drabble not taking itself ftoo seriously. Bows of gratitude for the very good laugh.

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:45 pm

This one was a great deal of fun, which is what I hang around here for. The Drabblecast was the perfect place to showcase this story--if it had been on an all-mainstream podcast, I would've assumed he wasn't the reincarnation. If it had been on an all-fantasy podcast, I would've assumed he WAS. Since it was on the Drabblecast I had no friggin clue what to think, so it kept me guessing, which is a good thing. The final reveal with "Oh, that makes a lot more sense" had me laughing so hard I had to rewind and re-listen to the part of the story directly after that. And, really, I think we've all had that teacher at some point--definitely not sympathetic, but I just want SOMETHING to root for, which I had here.

The moral of the story: No good can come from Craiglist.