Classics 20 & 21 (EP 170 & 171) - Mongoose

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
normsherman
Site Admin

Re: DC 170 & 171- Mongoose by Sarah Monette and Elizabeth Bear

Postby normsherman » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:51 am

Ha- I knew I'd get called on that. Couldn't find an energy weapon sound I liked. Figured battery running low might mean 'gun battery.' I dunno, like I said, I never thought I'd get away with it. ;)
"Give us all some Jelly"

stakultexsun

Postby stakultexsun » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:08 am

Great story, awesome names for the creatures....good times all around. Except for that poor breeder.

Production is top notch, as always!

Etaan

Postby Etaan » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:37 pm

moonowl wrote:*considers knitting a Mongoose plushie*

My new band name (once I get musical talent and a band) is definitely "Exploratory Octopus."

Excellent production, great reading by everyone. I loved Colonel Sanderson, the SS/Spanish Inquisition officer with a heart of gold. Or the incomprehensible ferocity to stare down a breeder wrath so that afterward she could subvert Israel into her own kind of cheshire.
"Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
"That is an excellent practice. But right now I'd suggest you concentrate on the Jabberwocky."

rcd

Postby rcd » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:57 am

Great story and presentation! It's refreshing to get a story that is visceral and pulls you into its depths. Kind of reminded me of "Alien" in some ways, dark, foreboding - you know something is going to happen but you're not quite sure when and how. And the presentation went a long way to making that happen. And, Mongoose - there's a lot more there than meets the eye! A follow up story with these characters would be great!

eggyolk

Postby eggyolk » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:00 am

Holy Mongoose! This double episode was good enough to make me wet my pants. Holy jeez. This was just amazing. How can I gush more about this double episode? Perfect Space-Opera Lovecraft! Perfect. Perfect. Perfect.
The Returning, an alien abduction serialized podcast novel
http://www.heyescast.com

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:26 am

I'm not gushing about it like everyone else, but I really liked it. Great story, great read. My favorite part is when Mongoose learned about the Cheshire cat, and slowly disappeared, leaving only a sharp-toothed grin. That was just awesome.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

alhilton

Postby alhilton » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:57 am

Loved this to pieces. :D

AdamGrey

Postby AdamGrey » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:07 am

So many aspects to enjoy on this one, but I'll mention a background item of interest. Sanderson and Irizarry's interactions indicate a reversal of genders. He drinks a Pink Lady, she orders Scotch (neat, no less), etc. It's a small thing, but it give depth to their characters, suggests much, and at the same time keeps things weird. Fantastico!

I find that really good spec fictions leaves me wanting to hang around and explore the world more, to peek around the corner to find the other narratives. This story gave me that feeling, and when it ended, I wanted more, more, more.

Thanks Norm - you made me and the girls smile with this one. Can I buy you a Macallan?

Travelin Corpse Feet

Postby Travelin Corpse Feet » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:11 am

Great story overall. I was expecting a little more in the conclusion--like maybe a confrontation with the infamous Bandersnatch--but wasn't disappointed.

This feels like it could be expanded into something larger. There's a lot of potential for worldbuilding here.
A story of love, lust and violence and a man in a jam.

'"Well, Here I Am" My blogogna.

My Twitter feed, Scribblepodium, is good for a laugh or a cry.

ZuSquared

Postby ZuSquared » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:10 am

My coffee deprived brain couldn't work out why Mongoose, and her kind, were named after the Cheshire Cat. I guess, ultimately, I saw her as more of a practical, problem solver, and not really sharing many of the characteristics of the enigmatic, irritatingly vague Cheshire Cat.

Is it bad that I wanted the story to totally commit to the Lewis Carroll theme?

I know I'm a total sadass. :D

It's just I really wanted that kickass Politico to shout "Off with her head" at some point. Or, at the very least, the story could have had some mention of stolen jam tarts or white roses turned red with the blood of the final kill.

That said, I thought the story was absolutely excellent and that the production was outstanding.

eggyolk

Postby eggyolk » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:40 am

ZuSquared wrote:My coffee deprived brain couldn't work out why Mongoose, and her kind, were named after the Cheshire Cat. I guess, ultimately, I saw her as more of a practical, problem solver, and not really sharing many of the characteristics of the enigmatic, irritatingly vague Cheshire Cat.

It's just I really wanted that kickass Politico to shout "Off with her head" at some point. Or, at the very least, the story could have had some mention of stolen jam tarts or white roses turned red with the blood of the final kill.

That said, I thought the story was absolutely excellent and that the production was outstanding.

Mongoose's species can "phase in" and "phase out", which must have reminded people of the Cheshire cat, which can do the same thing (effectively). That, and what do you really call one of those things, besides lil' Cthulhu?
The Returning, an alien abduction serialized podcast novel
http://www.heyescast.com

Etaan

Postby Etaan » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:06 pm

eggyolk wrote:That, and what do you really call one of those things, besides lil' Cthulhu?

My favorite Saturday morning TV show. The musical numbers were at least as good as Animaniacs.

Was anyone else a little uncomfortable with how much Irizarry's accusation that captains and station masters intentionally ignored infestations in order to help their bottom line rang true? Imagine that, after bypassing most security measures in order to save money, BP found out about the leak before anyone else and figured out a way to blame it on the environmentalists. Feasible, right? Now replace "oil leak" with "tear in the veil of the universe that will allow creatures of pure destruction into our plane."

Capitalism: Significantly Improving Everyone's Lives Right Until the Bandersnatch Shows Up
"Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
"That is an excellent practice. But right now I'd suggest you concentrate on the Jabberwocky."

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:45 pm

Well said.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:03 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Well said.

Agreed
"Give us all some Jelly"

Mr. Tweedy

Postby Mr. Tweedy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:31 pm

Mr. Tweedy stopping in to say that I enjoyed the portrayal of Christians in this story. Generally, Christians (when mentioned) are presented as atavistic and Puritanical in speculative fiction, obstructors who try to stop dinosaurs from obtaining guns, scowling guardians of the bland and boring. I enjoyed the fact that Christians were freaky mutants in this story, outsiders who no one likes because they're just so damn weird. It was a refreshing departure from the usual stereotype, and it made me smile.
Advertise in this space!

ZuSquared

Postby ZuSquared » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:40 am

eggyolk wrote:
ZuSquared wrote:My coffee deprived brain couldn't work out why Mongoose, and her kind, were named after the Cheshire Cat. I guess, ultimately, I saw her as more of a practical, problem solver, and not really sharing many of the characteristics of the enigmatic, irritatingly vague Cheshire Cat.

Mongoose's species can "phase in" and "phase out", which must have reminded people of the Cheshire cat, which can do the same thing (effectively). That, and what do you really call one of those things, besides lil' Cthulhu?

That makes sense. :D

It certainly would have been more interesting if Lewis Caroll had written the Cheshire Cat devouring the Queen of Hearts from the vagina out.

Interesting and maybe a little disturbing for younger readers.

El Barto

Postby El Barto » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:11 pm

The Drabblecast is what you get when a great book has sex with a masterfully produced movie.

Booyah to all y'all who make it happen!

strawman

Postby strawman » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:52 pm

Easier than making that happen (after all, nobody here knows between a book and a movie which one has the stabbing barbed sperm packet injector and which one has the Bandersnatch tunnel). If you could please elaborate in exactly 100 words, I want dibs on the dribble.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Scattercat

Postby Scattercat » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:30 am

I was initially disappointed that we didn't get a more climactic battle, but I liked the ending a lot better than I would have the one required by the standard rules of narrative.

Colonel SANDERSon, though? Really, people? You can't have a young attractive woman named after a goddamned racist old white dude with a beard and a string tie.

strawman

Postby strawman » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:48 am

The only actually racist thing the colonel ever did was serve awful chicken fried hormones and atrocious mashed glop to black people. But heck, he did the same nasty to people of all races and creeds, plus he created or saved about a million actual minimum wage jobs in the traditional manner. They even serve their food in a bucket so you have something to throw up in afterwards. They're GREEN, man.

Plus, did you know they now pay the employees (pictured) at their 3000 outlets in China $131 a month. How is that racist?
Attachments
CHNA_MAN_17_05.jpg
CHNA_MAN_17_05.jpg (108.44 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”