Drabblecast 172 - Trifecta XIII

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 172 - Trifecta XIII

Post by Kevin Anderson » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:52 am

The Apocalypse Hits Moose Fork
by Gary Cuba

Six Drabbles of Separation
by Kenneth Schneyer

Waiting for Grim
by Bruce Golden

Music by Gringo Motel, Norm Sherman
Art by Arron Cambridge
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

strawman

Re: Drabblecast 172- Trifecta XIII

Post by strawman » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 am

Trifectas are all about economy, usually not long enough to stand out and be memorable. Ken Schneyer's fecta really stands up and snaps in the wind here. Very well written, poetic even.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Talia

Post by Talia » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:10 pm

'Waiting for Grim' was great! I saw what the setup was pretty much immidiately, but it was no less charming for all that, and the thought of these guys hanging out and playing scrabble was a whimsical, amusing one, as was the bowling jaunt at the end. Pratchett-esque. I also enjoyed the whimsical tone of 'Moose Fork.'

I'm afraid I didn't really "get" the second one, 'Six Drabbles of Separation,' but maybe that's because I was driving and vaguely distracted. I liked it, but I feel like I missed something.

Fantastic cover art.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:46 pm

I didn't really get Six Drabbles either. I found it hard to follow the different stories though I didn't get to my traditional third listening yet.

Waiting for Grim was pretty cool, but Moose Fork really did it for me.

Nobilis's reading was phenomenal. Between his performance, the accompanying music, and the concepts of the story itself, I loved this one to death. Uh, unintentional pun there. In addition to the obvious bits, I was also struck with a message on third generation military philosophy: Death doesn't care if he got the bad guys and only the bad guys, he just cares that he got a lot of bad guys. Probably.

It's collateral damage. The story is a Rorschach. The story isn't negative or positive on Collateral Damage. Instead, it lets us see the subject with a different set of eyes.

Which is what good speculative fiction does when addressing philosophical issues. We get the chance to unwittingly empathize with a point of view we disagree with.

Though I strongly disagree with the concept of Collateral Damage (hardly surprising since I'm a pacifist), I wasn't thinking about that while listening to the story and found myself thinking, "Well, sure, that makes sense," to Death's reasoning. Hopefully those who support the concept of Collateral Damage got to experience the equivalent cross-pollination.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:29 pm

I did not understand Six Drabbles, but it is so poetically written that it was worth listening to twice just for the flow of the words.
Advertise in this space!

Richmazzer

Post by Richmazzer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:59 pm

The 6 Six Drabbles was my favorite, although I also really liked the other two, specifically the tone of Moose Fork and the read and general concept of Waiting for Grim.
I've listened to the 6 Drabbles of Separation a few times now and here's my take.
Working with the Six Degrees of Separation premise (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_separation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) the story is broken up into scenes in a long time-line leading to the end of the world, and all have some shred of the "separation" theme within themselves.

Drabble 1 a lonely bitter man facebook stalking or the like, pictures of an old lover.
Drabble 2 connects to drabble 1 by the scar idea, a man has an instant flash of his toddler as an old lonely man
Drabble 3 connects to drabble 2 with the character Timmy, who is now an adult, a soldier in a war who is going through his dead wife's ruined house suspecting infidelity.
Drabble 4 connects to 3 with a reference to soldier Timothy being treated by the narrator, a wartime doctor who has special empathy powers and can know instantly a patient's condition with a touch.
Drabble 5 connects to 4 with the reference to 'brain rot' which the doctor's father had, which apparently turns into a full out plague.
The two characters in Drabble 6 share the names of the characters in the opening drabble. They are ghosts, forever to linger together forever.

The way my head put it together is that the plague was a result of the war, perhaps a weapon even. I think those gaps are meant to be filled in by the listener. These are just poetic scenes.

Talia

Post by Talia » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:08 pm

So there's no actual connection between 2 and 1 besides the protagonist in 2's imagination?

Richmazzer

Post by Richmazzer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:11 pm

Maybe there is something, but the only thing I caught, and it seems to be the most overt connection of all, is the mentioning of scarring in both. I guess also that both are using their imaginations in ways that come back to bite them.

Travelin Corpse Feet

Post by Travelin Corpse Feet » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:05 pm

Yeah! Who's your twabbledaddy! l,,l :D l,,l

Dunno. None of these really stood out for me. I liked the Pratchetty goodness in "Waiting for Grim" and I won't say it wasn't entertaining, but it felt like it was treading on too well-traveled ground for my tastes.
A story of love, lust and violence and a man in a jam.

'"Well, Here I Am" My blogogna.

My Twitter feed, Scribblepodium, is good for a laugh or a cry.

Etaan

Post by Etaan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:29 pm

My reactions, in order:

1. Holy crap - Beer for My Horses!

2. I think that the Six Drabbles of Separation is not only a play on Six Degrees, but a description of the stories themselves. These are tales of actual separation due to divorce, death, secret knowledge or memory. Even in the final episode, when they are the last two people on Earth and eternally bound together by whatever deal with the Devil he made, they are still repulsed from each other by their mutual loathing of what he had wrought. I agree that the poetry of the tales was incredible, and bonus points for high degree of difficulty, but I was somewhat put off by the borderline non sequiturs in the very beginning and very end of the narrative.

3. Paul S. Jenkins gets the Sam Elliott Award for guy who I just want to hang out with so I can listen to him talk. Fantastic reading, and I've officially switched from "tiles" to "inscribed chips" when I play Scrabble.
"Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
"That is an excellent practice. But right now I'd suggest you concentrate on the Jabberwocky."

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:36 pm

On second listen, Six Drabbles score keeps rising. I actually took notes.

I am a lover of symbolism and Ingmar Bergman films, and Kenneth Schneyer serves up the tastiest meal since Axle's Babett. Each drabble is a pearl strung between past and future, with the theme of loss unto madness, isolation and ultimate suicide.
University courses have been devoted to less worthy works.
In case you couldn't tell, I'm very impressed.

Repeat listens are their own reward.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:04 am

Really good episode. I'm going to need to listen to it again, to fully appreciate more aspects of it.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:34 pm

Having listened to it again, I have to say that this episode brings the Trifecta back to it's former glory. Two awesome stories, split by one that nobody understands, sandwiched between a delicious intro and outro. Toss in a great drabble and twitfic on the side, and you have a.....

Where was I going with this analogy? Huh. Maybe I'll remember after lunch.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

shagin

Post by shagin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:31 am

Trifecta's are more often miss than hit with me, but I thoroughly enjoyed this set-up. The story arrangement itself contributed to the flow. Moose Fork was a terrific bit of whimsy, Six Drabbles a fine poetic piece(s), and Grim an ode to Prachett if ever I heard one.

Well done!

Sandra Odell
smodell1995@yahoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:51 pm

good to see Gary Cuba on the DC again. He's a friend, so I'm not particularly unbiased, but I thought this story was fun. I got some laughs out of it, especially the line "My horse is thirsty too", and I didn't expect that particular resolution.

Six Drabbles was cool idea, but with so many setting jumps it becomes a little hard to follow and harder to get emotionally involved in.

Grim was decent, but felt a little too much like Pratchett's work.

j-m

Post by j-m » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:53 am

Wow. Let me just say i LOVED the twitfic on this one. Hilarious!