Drabblecast 173 - Go Beep

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 173 - Go Beep

Post by Kevin Anderson » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:10 pm

Drabble- Sunday-go-to-sockin’
by Vela Damon

Go Beep
by Aliya Whiteley

I’m a fan of Nirvana.

I mean I’m a fan of the band rather than a fan of the concept. Although, hey, what’s not to like about the idea of being no longer subject to torture over the fires of greed, hatred and delusion? Free from all suffering – yes, that sounds pretty good. But if I really wanted to free of everything that makes us human then I probably wouldn’t dig bands like Nirvana any more, and that would be bad. Then I wouldn’t be me any more.

Art by Liz
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

Richmazzer

Re: Drabblecast 173- Go Beep by Aliya Whiteley

Post by Richmazzer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:02 pm

Can I just say that this week's episode music/soundtrack was brilliant! Hearing Nirvana's music stretched and molded in such a unique setting actually made me appreciate ole Kurt Cobain's genius a bit more. It really fit perfectly in a way I never would have thought it could.
So my only complaint with the story was that I couldn't put my finger on the characters ages. I put them at 17ish at first but casually cracking open beer on a Sunday seemed out of place for that and then the parents grounding and treatment at home, as well as phrases like "kneed me in the privates" seemed to place them more adolescent. I dunno, I'm sure it's different for others based on how you were raised in particular.
But I loved the line "we are living according to the lyrics of Nirvana...we like to sing a long and wave our guns, but we don't know what it means." I think it summed up the story very nicely.

Oh and I loved the drabble and the episode art is really cool.

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:14 am

The Drabblecast + Nirvana = nirvana! This is my favorite episode of the year so far. Can't get enough of the cheeky Nirvana background music, and Go Beep to the tune of Rape Me floored me. Genius! Just perfect all the way around. Yow!
Raise your fists and scream "black smut"!

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:27 am

Drabblecast just keeps getting better and better. The amount of work that went into this episode is daunting. I have no idea how Norm finds the time.

The story has this hilarious undercurrent where you can take the protagonist completely seriously and assume he did save the world, or you can assume he's a self-serious grunge-rock wannabe who spoiled a bit of harmless fun. And had his friend sit on his girlfriend. Flawless perspective dichotomy like this is either really really skillful or incredible luck. And I don't believe in luck. :D

I need a propane torch now, by the way.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

Etaan

Post by Etaan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:54 pm

So are you going to get a DRM takedown notice from the Nirvana people or the Weird Al Yankovic people first?
Richmazzer wrote:So my only complaint with the story was that I couldn't put my finger on the characters ages. I put them at 17ish at first but casually cracking open beer on a Sunday seemed out of place for that and then the parents grounding and treatment at home, as well as phrases like "kneed me in the privates" seemed to place them more adolescent.
I think that 17 is about right. And at that age, if I knew that my parents were brainwashed zombies and I was just sitting around staring at my friends for hours on end, I would have taken the opportunity to sneak a beer. I had a hard time figuring when it was supposed to be happening, however. Youtube and iTunes are current, but in that case these kids grew up 7-10 years behind the peak of Nirvana's popularity and it seems strange that they would be that into them.

Also, what's double math?
"Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
"That is an excellent practice. But right now I'd suggest you concentrate on the Jabberwocky."

Schreiber

Post by Schreiber » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:20 pm

Yeah, I just have to echo what everyone has been saying about the score and sound design on this one. That song is a freaking earworm.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:35 pm

thumbs up
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

DougallStrange

Post by DougallStrange » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:16 pm

What can I say about this story other than this might be my favorite Drabblecast so far! The story was great with its angst ridden protagonist, zombie creating viral marketing campaign, the fact that he annoyed his street back to normal. It was the production on this story however that put it into the Flipping Stratosphere. The soundtrack was amazing, the use of the Nirvana background was inspired. It was like a Nirvana pallet cleanser I might be able to actually enjoy them again. The Go Beep song was addictive in the story! I can't imagine what it would be like being bombarded by it in a multimedia onslaught, I almost wonder if this was Norm's application to a major Mad Men style Ad Agency hmmm. Go Beep everybody
Unnamable Cthuloid horrors, crumble rock, rusts scissors and inscribes paper with blasphemous secrets that cause your eyeballs to explode while your tongue catches fire from the unholy hymns your crazed mind forces you to scream out.

Schreiber

Post by Schreiber » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:28 pm

DougallStrange wrote:The Go Beep song was addictive in the story! I can't imagine what it would be like being bombarded by it in a multimedia onslaught, I almost wonder if this was Norm's application to a major Mad Men style Ad Agency hmmm. Go Beep everybody
Bear in mind, "Go Beep" is to the tune of "Rape Me" by none other than Nirvana.

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:40 am

I have to be honest and say this was not one of my favourites. The story was well written, but I just failed to see the point to it in the end; story starts, something major happens, main character saves the day, but it all goes back to the way it was before like nothing happened.

I couldn't help to keep thinking of the fantastic Teddy Bear's & Tea Parties episode awhile back which also told of a 'child finds self alone in a fantastical situation and fights way out' which dealt with the subject matter much better. Admittedly that story was much longer, so perhaps allowing for more a character-driven experience than this one.

What really stood out was the music, and who can dislike a podcast with a creme brulee recipe sung to Smells Like Teen Spirit? I mean honestly?
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:27 am

What really stood out was the music, and who can dislike a podcast with a creme brulee recipe sung to Smells Like Teen Spirit? I mean honestly?
THIS!

This story reminded me of the alternative righteous 'too cool for school' kids at the radio station. If you happened to like something, some guilty pleasure pop music that made you happy, ZOMG! You not the grunge indie elite! How can you like that band after they sold out? Here, let me verbally hold you down and sit on you until you think the way I do! Now you can brag how unique you are now you think just like me! Blerg.

I highly disliked Nirvana. In itself the band was meh. Then they lead to decade of lead singers trying to make themselves sound like they had some weird, pained, slightly fake western/southern accents.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

Insomniacagnostic

Post by Insomniacagnostic » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:55 pm

This was just truly amazing, the weaving in of Nirvana's oeuvre throughout the story in so many ways, the weird smiley faces :mrgreen:, the teen angstyness, and at the end a catchy recipe for creme brulee. My only complaint is I can't find anywhere that 'Smells like creme brulee' might be downloaded from.
Amazing.
I'm not dyslexic.

Travelin Corpse Feet

Post by Travelin Corpse Feet » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:33 pm

Decent story made better by the Drabblecast's production style. I don't think this would have been nearly as enjoyable without all the musical bits laced throughout.
A story of love, lust and violence and a man in a jam.

'"Well, Here I Am" My blogogna.

My Twitter feed, Scribblepodium, is good for a laugh or a cry.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:38 pm

moonowl wrote:
THIS!

This story reminded me of the alternative righteous 'too cool for school' kids at the radio station. If you happened to like something, some guilty pleasure pop music that made you happy, ZOMG! You not the grunge indie elite! How can you like that band after they sold out? Here, let me verbally hold you down and sit on you until you think the way I do! Now you can brag how unique you are now you think just like me! Blerg.

I highly disliked Nirvana. In itself the band was meh. Then they lead to decade of lead singers trying to make themselves sound like they had some weird, pained, slightly fake western/southern accents.
Stop sitting on me, moonowl, I don't want to be a member of the "guilty pleasure pop music" elite... ;-)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:10 pm

Ok, I must now give mea maxima culpa's over the fact that it's been awhile since I've listened to a drabblecast episode with all the stuff going on in my life, but I just listened to this one and it gave me a lift I sorely needed. As a member of the "Jelly Park Elite" naturally I always like a Whiteley story, and this one didn't disappoint. Echoes of the praise already noted on Norm's production and setting of songs to Nirvana tunes.

Historical footnote: When Weird Al asked Kurt Cobain if he could parody "Smells Like Teen Spirit" he said "sure, is it gonna be about food?"

Of course, it wasn't. Glad that you rectified that by doing "Smells like Créme Bruleé" Norm.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

eggyolk

Post by eggyolk » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:16 am

There are times when Norm gets a great story.
There are times when Norm makes and okay story great with production value.

This was not one of those times.
This was an awesome story made mind-blowing awesome by Norms production value.

I listened to this story three times and was rolling over myself laughing. Hell I was rolling over my kids too, it was just that funny.

This is a classic.
Beep.
The Returning, an alien abduction serialized podcast novel
http://www.heyescast.com

themorg

Post by themorg » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:15 am

i loved the toy piano just before the climax. really great sound work just like everyone was saying.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

jennybean

Post by jennybean » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:03 pm

Yeah, sometimes I think the sound effects/ music can be overdone, but I really loved the production in this one. It was perfect. (I'm a week behind because I was away.) Great story, great podcast.
Jenny

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:15 am

I’m a fan of Nirvana.
I'm not a fan of Nirvana. I hated Cobain and the posers who followed him.

That being said, this was an excellent episode. Straight back to Jelly Park. In many ways, this was too much like Jelly Park, but Jelly Park was good enough to warrant a sequel. I'm not sure if the story alone would work, but Norm creates a outstanding masterpiece. This will go into my Top 10 pile.

So... was there a point to this story? Jelly Park had a very clear point, but this story is enough of a parable that I sincerely doubt that the point of the story is that catchy pop music is bad. I ended up feeling like this was a "Day in the Life of" story, complete with the confused viewpoints of a teenager.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:28 am

tbaker2500 wrote:So... was there a point to this story? Jelly Park had a very clear point, but this story is enough of a parable that I sincerely doubt that the point of the story is that catchy pop music is bad.
This was my issue with the story, just put more succinctly. The posossible point about catchy, purpose-made catchy pop tunes is bad is too.... I don't know, light? possibly. If the point was 'derivative teenage rock music is as bad as pop music' then it veeeeery subtle.
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!