Drabblecast 173 - Go Beep

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
strawman

Re: Drabblecast 173- Go Beep by Aliya Whiteley

Post by strawman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:09 am

I think a little less 'literal': Go Beep illustrates the fact that popular culture is a form of mass influence and, if we're not careful, mind control. I just wonder if there's really that much difference between the culture and the counter-culture.

This didn't seem like a sequel to JP. It was very different. Plus, I was never into Nirvana. Go Beep was not a catchy tune.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:26 am

strawman wrote:I just wonder if there's really that much difference between the culture and the counter-culture.
Thank you.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:28 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
strawman wrote:I just wonder if there's really that much difference between the culture and the counter-culture.
Thank you.
This reminded me of the Download heavy metal festival I went to a few years back with 50,000 teenagers wearing a 'fight for your right to be unique' tshirts.
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:30 am

strawman wrote:I think a little less 'literal': Go Beep illustrates the fact that popular culture is a form of mass influence and, if we're not careful, mind control. I just wonder if there's really that much difference between the culture and the counter-culture.

This didn't seem like a sequel to JP. It was very different. Plus, I was never into Nirvana. Go Beep was not a catchy tune.
Regarding culture vs counter-culture, I tend to feel the same way. I see little difference in the structure of the following memes.

Counter-Culture Meme: I think Nirvana is cool. If you don't think so too you are dumb.
Culture Meme: I think Nirvana is meh. If you think they are cool then you are dumb.

Personally, I liked Nirvana. But I like The Beatles, Mozart, The Cranberries, Bach, Chet Atkins, The Police, Beethoven, etc.. shucks even that band that does the ridiculously poppy song "Soul Sister" (now THERE is a guilty musical pleasure...) If someone else doesn't dig my musical choices, who really cares? Certainly not me.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:33 am

There's a big difference. The culture is a vast star-faring race where the denizens freely travel through the galaxy on super-sentient ships controlled by A.I. Minds... Plus they like to party and get high alot.

The counter-culture is a bunch of grubby hippies that liked to travel around in V.W. vans and follow The Grateful Dead. Plus, they liked to party and get high alot.

Hmmm. I sense a problem with my argument here.

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:38 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:If someone else doesn't dig my musical choices, who really cares? Certainly not me.
IMO it all comes down to marketing to teenagers. Once they stop being children but before becoming adults, most kids are searching for who they are, and there is a whole industry out there who's sole purpose is to take advantage of that, and you can see it in nearly every aspect of life which touches on teenage life.

"I like alterantive music, people who listen to pop are sheep."

"I listen to classical, people who listen to altentaive are sheep with black eyeliner."

"I have a playstation, people who play xbox just don't understand."

"I play bass, peple who play guitar just don't understand the groove."

"I wear converse, people who wear nike don't think for themselves."

And so on and so forth. Zach de la Rocha hit the nail on the head when he said "They've got you thinking that buying is rebelling."

Also - apologies to any teenagers - I'm making sweeping generliasations here, I know.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:24 am

Marketing starts far earlier than the teenage years. My daughter is always asking me for the latest thing she saw advertised on Sprout...

It continues through and past the teenage years, in Cosmo and Playboy (depending on your gender and/or orientation) on your favorite TV shows...

It all ends up with commercials for Metamucil...

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:30 am

Oh, I completely agree, but what I find is that it's really foisted upon teens, forcing them into niches.

At least most of us can make more learned choices as we get older. I for one have no idea what place Ronaldo has in telling me what oil to put in my car engine. It's not like he needs it while he's rolling around on the grass, clutching his ankle.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:39 am

Hm, I think it's about how silly the battle is between pro and anti pop culture.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:10 am

dreamrock wrote:Hm, I think it's about how silly the battle is between pro and anti pop culture.
Oh, I hope so. That would be plot I could get behind.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

F5iver

Post by F5iver » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:02 pm

All I can add is that I played this episode for my 18 year-old daughter and she's now a DC fan.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:41 pm

F5iver wrote:All I can add is that I played this episode for my 18 year-old daughter and she's now a DC fan.
Oh good. Because if you aren't a DC fan, your not cool... ;-)

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:24 pm

Remember the popular 60's counter-cultural message: Question Authority.
People who tried it found that they didn't actually believe anything they said.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Etaan

Post by Etaan » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:29 pm

Seriously, folks, what the heck is double math? It's such an odd way to end the story I'd imagine that the author considers it somewhat important, but I can't find any pop culture (or counter culture) reference to it.
"Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
"That is an excellent practice. But right now I'd suggest you concentrate on the Jabberwocky."

Talia

Post by Talia » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:58 pm

I believe its a U.K. term for a type of math class? Belle and Sebastian mention double math in a song about a schoolboy, and that group is Scottish (I think).

Here, this page has some info.

http://www.charterhouse.org.uk/Academic ... atics.aspx

Although trying to read the entirety of that page makes me want to leap off a cliff.

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:10 pm

Talia wrote:I believe its a U.K. term for a type of math class?
Nope (I'm English). We say 'maths'. I assumed it was a back to back maths class.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:39 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Mikes is correct. Between the fact that "double math" nets zero results on the first page of Google which aren't related to a programming concept, and the fact that my math nerd thinks that's what it means ... I'm going with that.

I'm a little surprised people latched on that term so firmly. Seemed like a very off-hand remark. :D

EDIT: I googled "I have double math" and one of the first results mentions that plus "I have double french" ("and between which I'm obviously a zombie"). Unless there's something I don't know about French, Mikes is correct. Double correct. :o
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

G. E. Lee

Post by G. E. Lee » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:01 pm

Mikes wrote: IMO it all comes down to marketing to teenagers. Once they stop being children but before becoming adults, most kids are searching for who they are, and there is a whole industry out there who's sole purpose is to take advantage of that, and you can see it in nearly every aspect of life which touches on teenage life.
This. And I think this was rather the point of the story. I think Ms Whatley did a fine job of catching this point, but in a fairly subtle way.
By the way, as a flannel-wearing Gen-Xer of the 90's, I found the Nirvana tie-in's very catchy. Also, was anyone reminded of Tool's "Die Eier Von Satan" by the closing song? I took it for a subtle jab at Nirvana's lyrics, impenetrable as they often were.
mogera robusta

Polecat

Post by Polecat » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:47 pm

I interpreted the story as simply describing the fantasy of any teenager who has ever plugged an instrument into an amplifier - to write a song that will change the world - that is the point of "rock" music (for "rock" substitute indie, punk, or whatever you like). I still have that fantasy, and I (technically) stopped being a teenager more years ago than I care to remember. Mr. Cobain had it, too, as did, for example Iggy Pop (Youtube videos of interviews with him in the early 70s are both instructive and hilarious) - that seems to be the motivation to make loud, angry music.
As regards mainstream/counterculture, I think a good criterium is that if you´re making it yourself, it is probably counter-, if you read about it somewhere and try to participate, it has probably already become mainstream. That is why no youth movement remains the same, the youths grow up and the next generation has to invent a new way to be different.
The music was not to my taste, but taste is a matter of taste so that is not an objective criticism - the Creme Brulee recipe would, in my opinion have benefited from a Prozac for Lovers treatment.

respectfully

the polecat

eggyolk

Post by eggyolk » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:31 pm

Etaan wrote:Seriously, folks, what the heck is double math? It's such an odd way to end the story I'd imagine that the author considers it somewhat important, but I can't find any pop culture (or counter culture) reference to it.

Doesn't it refer to having two periods of math in a row? When I was in High School we usually had a single long period during the day, which we called "long )insert name of class)". Also the phrase "double english" appears in a great Cathrine Tate sketch as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxB1gB6K-2A
So I imagine it must exist as a concept somewhere on the British Isles. Maybe it's just not universal there.
The Returning, an alien abduction serialized podcast novel
http://www.heyescast.com