Drabblecast 174 - The Fantasy Jumper

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 174 - The Fantasy Jumper

Post by Kevin Anderson » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:30 pm

Drabble- A Drop’s Descent
by Carter Allen

The Fantasy Jumper
by Will McIntosh

"This is the one I wanted to show you," Rando said to his blind date, Maya, who had an artificial eye that drooped slightly, but was otherwise very cute in a chipmunk sort of way.
"Make her blonde," Rando said, while Maya peered over his shoulder. The woman's hair changed from brown to golden blonde...

Art by Elan Trinidad
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

themorg

Re: Drabblecast 174- The Fantasy Jumper by Will McIntosh

Post by themorg » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:17 am

I thought the Drabble was really good. So good that i am going to try to write one 1/4th as good. I am only planning on writing 30 words.

Wu Tang clan is nothing to F#$! with

Really liked the reading but i missed the point of the story. To me it felt like a personal ad that turned and said something so personal and offensiveness and accuracy that makes you drink really heavily. Like always very very great production. I never want to go to that fair...

P.S. - I also licked my K key to see if it tasted like sleep.

P.P.S. - Love the idea of a plush death worm...but not to sleep with.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:58 pm

Hilarious intro! Freakin' Velasquez is back, baby! Take that, donor of the week! Oh, and awesome slow rendition of Free Falling. Perfectly subtle.

Drabble was great.

Main story voice acting was excellent! The story was a little confusing, tho. I'm not exactly sure what the point of the story was. In fact, I'm not even vaguely aware what the point was. It felt like a snapshot, without any real rhyme or reason.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

strawman

Post by strawman » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:44 pm

I have a feeling it would be easier for someone who's into cutting to really sync with the story. Or, if you asked the psycho killer the reason for the subsequent 237 stab wounds. Sometimes ya gotta keep scratching until that itch stops. Still one hole in McIntosh's plot... This kind of clone jump entertainment isn't inexpensive. Violet is in big trouble when daddy gets the credit card bill.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

eggyolk

Post by eggyolk » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:49 am

Best. Twabble. Evar.
Wu-tang forever!

I really really really like the second story, the long one. It's fair to say that the real main character was the world's fair, and I think that that fact could have been better developed. Still it was delightfully macabre, and entertaining. While I am not a cutter, I've known far too many and this made think of all of them, so yeah, there's something to that.

BTB maaaad love for the narrator! Great great great reading!
The Returning, an alien abduction serialized podcast novel
http://www.heyescast.com

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:33 am

tbaker2500 wrote:Main story voice acting was excellent! .... I'm not exactly sure what the point of the story was. In fact, I'm not even vaguely aware what the point was. It felt like a snapshot, without any real rhyme or reason.
My thoughts exactly, although it was entertaining enough for me that the lack of an obvious point is not a problem.

What was a problem for me was the possibility of a future world's fair having the option of throwing cloned children to their deaths. As the Fantasy Jumper featured in each of the individual character stories, I'm wondering if this is the point. In fact, as I typed that I'm thinking it possibly is.... (Bear with me here, doing some stream consciousness here, step back people). In the two stories of the three which had most time (the intro and the two girlfriends - I'm terrible with names), all of the characters cared absolutely nothing for the dying clones and one was bored enough to wander off. Possibly so bored with life that even death does not effect them anymore, while the clones demonstrated the character's lost trait of hope and living in the now.

Or maybe I'm just bored at work and am reading too much into it.

Great story, absolutely top notch production, and a twabble which should be made into a feature film starring Laurence Fishbourne and David Caruso.
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

Talia

Post by Talia » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:48 pm

Oh, man. The second story REALLY worked for me, it just blew me away. The point of the story was how humanity's quest for entertainment stripped us of something vital, some ounce of compassion, so much so that what seems to us, the reader/listener, now, to be horrific and barbaric, to them was just a passing fad. Its a trend that's echoed to a much much lesser degree today in the way media has desensitized a whole generation to violence - its that trend just taken to an extreme.

It was also a story about relationships, and how they function, or don't, in this strange desensitized future. How this peculiar technology might play into people's relationships, change them for better or for worse.

Outstanding.

(also, nice twitfic. I giggled)

Schreiber

Post by Schreiber » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:07 pm

I'm curious whether the KKK went up against the RZA and Ghostface or actual Shaolin Monks. Either way, nice drabble.

I'm not usually a fan of stories that lead with ["Hey, I'm having a casual conversation," he said as he operated a piece of invented technology which works likes so.], which makes me kind of a tough room for Hard SF. But I really feel like this world worked for me. Maybe I have Kevin Smith to thank for it, but I'm a fan of stories that take place in malls. They're just public enough for different storylines and just claustrophobic enough for those storylines to converge in a believable and entertaining way. The sadism (and later, the masochism) of the Fantasy Jumper feels very authentic. The lie detector would have felt a little old, but it fit nicely in the pantheon of torture devices that are so clearly a fixture of this mall.

The only thing that felt a little stale to me was Shy, Overweight Interesting Guy. He seems to wandering into Escape Pods, Starship Sofas, and Drabblecasts more and more often these days and he's reminding me a little of Tough but Vulnerable Spunky Girl and Hard-Bitten Veteran with a Story. I'm kind of the school that the only reason why an archetype should be used as a central character in a story is if the archetype itself is what is under discussion. Otherwise, I'd say it's more honored in the breach than in the observance.

But overall, a very enjoyable and provocative story!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:40 pm

Schreiber wrote:
The only thing that felt a little stale to me was Shy, Overweight Interesting Guy. He seems to wandering into Escape Pods, Starship Sofas, and Drabblecasts more and more often these days and he's reminding me a little of Tough but Vulnerable Spunky Girl and Hard-Bitten Veteran with a Story. I'm kind of the school that the only reason why an archetype should be used as a central character in a story is if the archetype itself is what is under discussion. Otherwise, I'd say it's more honored in the breach than in the observance.
:lol:
"Give us all some Jelly"

Schreiber

Post by Schreiber » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:27 am

I have the distinct impression that Norm Sherman is laughing at me...

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:43 pm

No, no... He's laughing WITH you.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:59 pm

The "Free Falling" background music in the intro and outro was hilarious and well-placed.

A curious bit of foreshadowing too if taken in context of the main story.

There's too much going on here. Taken as a story of the Jumper and the guy who wants to have a conversation, it's a great and poignant story.

I feel like the story could be improved if the edges around the two ancillary couples' stories could be trimmed a bit.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:14 pm

Happy birthday Dreamrock!

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:55 am

Thanks, man!

j.ronald.lee

Post by j.ronald.lee » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:19 pm

Maybe it says something about me... but I really liked Fantasy Jumper. I think it's a take on our obsession with the macabre. Slowing down to look at an accident. Watching NASCAR for the crashes. Cage Fighting. What if we took that to another illogical extreme, with memory booths, lie detector glasses, and dream TV.

One of the more interesting aspects was not that the jumper was a fantasy, but that she HAD a fantasy of her own. One that is finally achieved. She's made to the fountain... now what? She was made to jump... but there's no point now.

Anyone know what the final bumper music was on this episode? It's not on Norm's CD. I reaaaaally liked it, and I want to buy it.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:25 pm

It's a bluegrass cover of Tom Petty's Free Falling, but I think we're going to have to wait for an answer from Norm on exactly where it's available. Amazon MP3 lists 311 versions of the song and there's no guarantee it's even among them. :lol:

Of course, it might be on Norm's rumored bluegrass project thing, but I've always been a bit vague about where that was exactly.

EDIT: Ok, so the project I was referring to is "Ash and Rowan," and it's more traditional Irish stuff than bluegrass precisely. It doesn't seem to have Free Falling.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:06 pm

Sorry, keep forgetting to put music in the notes. It's from Pickin on Petty. The Pickin On series rocks, also check out Pickin on Zeppelin
"Give us all some Jelly"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:15 am

normsherman wrote:Sorry, keep forgetting to put music in the notes.
Just had to frame that sentence, to highlight the metaphysical nature of it.

j.ronald.lee

Post by j.ronald.lee » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:44 am

Heh... I got Norm's 1,000th post as a reply. Fanboi score.
normsherman wrote:Sorry, keep forgetting to put music in the notes. It's from Pickin on Petty. The Pickin On series rocks, also check out Pickin on Zeppelin
:idea: Norm - you should not just put the music in the notes, but include affiliate links for iTunes & Amazon, too. I'd totally buy the disc here if it threw a measly 3% bounty to the Drabblecast. Just sayin'. :idea:

As such - I have added this disc to my cart, but will hold off buying for a day or three. This will make up for my not being the kick ass donor of the week as you amass thousands of... pennies?... by hawking more music than just your own.

My 13 year old already has Asian Baby memorized. We sing it as a family on road trips. I'm committed.

Etaan

Post by Etaan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:16 pm

"Mankind's passionate yearning to fly can be traced all the way back to the very first person ever to fall to their death from someplace high."

And thus Norm value adds to another one of my days on Earth. I didn't even recognize the music until my second listen, great stuff.

I don't follow twitter all the time, so I love it when I happen to catch the Twabble early because I feel like I'm in a secret club. Especially one as good as this week's. The main story started a lot of interesting ideas but didn't take them to a fulfilling conclusion. It seems like such an petty reward that Jilted Lover finally gets the reaction she is looking for after all that death (and astronomical expense), Earnest Outcast gets a companion willing to listen to his mind-numbing prattle and - as soon as the bodies are not longer visible - the Jumpers are just going to keep on jumping. Superb reading, but ultimately a lost opportunity to explore the narcissism and amorality of the uber-rich or any other of a number of themes.
"Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
"That is an excellent practice. But right now I'd suggest you concentrate on the Jabberwocky."