Classics 06 (EP 175) - The Outsider

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
mediadavid

Re: Drabblecast 175 - The Outsider

Postby mediadavid » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:31 pm

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:Welcome aboard, Mediadavid.

Thanks! I love the drabblecast and will try to contribute to the forum!

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:42 pm

I'm actually loving the post-episode discussion in the DClassics so far. Good funny group of intelligent folks, always interesting to hear their thoughts and personalities.

So yah, I think there are some strong indicators that the narrator is undead in this story, but I'm not so sure that Lovecraft signs, seals and delivers it as fact, and in either case I don't think it's a particular game-changer. There are a few bits i remember when reading it that had me thinking that maybe he was a banished or imprisoned mutant or disfigured abomination of sorts, locked away or even born into some dank basement a la Richard Matheson's Born of Man and Woman
But whether he's a zombie, a ghoul, or a freakish malformed hunchback who's been decaying in a cellar since birth I think is beside the point. Some people think Lovecraft actually wrote it about himself, since supposedly he was pretty self-conscious about how butt-ugly he was. In any case, it's really more about not knowing what you are than anything else, and then tragically discovering you aren't one thing, but two: Different and Shunned.

I'm still undecided whether or not the mirror moment was intended to be a "Twist"' by HPL, or a gruesome, tragic and powerful climax where we watch a monster realize for the first time that it is a monster. I tend to lean toward what Jimmy said on the latter.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Spindaddy

Postby Spindaddy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:10 am

I didn't really like this one. I'm not sure if it's because I've heard it a few times before, but it kind of fell a bit flat for me. Maybe because I didn't realize the MC was undead... I figured that he was a werewolf-ish/ minotaur-like creature.

It kind of reminds me of minecraft (ok the climbing out part) when you get stuck at the bottom of a chasm and you can't figure out which way you came in and you end up clawing your way out by striking off in an utterly new direction, but going up.

I can identify with the MC a bit when people run screaming from him--as a sidenote, never tell a donkeypunch joke at the Daycare meet and greet--but overall, eh, I just couldn't get into the story.
I'm not Evil. I'm Corporate.

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”