Classics 03 (EP 178)– The Tentacled Sky

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
adamflorence

Re: Drabblecast 178- The Tentacled Sky by Jay Lake

Postby adamflorence » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:49 pm

Thanks for "jealous". I was missing that one.

I think they're variations on the seven deadly sins, which are usually listed as: wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony (from Wikipedia).

JEALOUSY
GLUTTONY
GREED
MURDER

Jealousy could be considered a synonym for envy. Not sure where murder fits in; certainly not sloth, pride or lust.

dreamrock

Postby dreamrock » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:00 pm

Oooh, score. I don't know that I would have gotten greed or gluttony, but now that you mention the seven deadly it seems a bit obvious.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:50 am

adamflorence wrote:Thanks for "jealous". I was missing that one.

I think they're variations on the seven deadly sins, which are usually listed as: wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony (from Wikipedia).

JEALOUSY
GLUTTONY
GREED
MURDER

Jealousy could be considered a synonym for envy. Not sure where murder fits in; certainly not sloth, pride or lust.

Well done!
"Give us all some Jelly"

SeldonCrisis

Postby SeldonCrisis » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:25 am

Mikes wrote:"why use two words when 15 will do"

Perfect description of HP Lovecraft, in my opinion.

The whole gender-switcharoo at the end got me pretty confused as to how I came to the conclusion that the narrator was male to begin with. It took me longer than I'd like to admit to realize that it was because there was a male voice for narration. I think I'm going slightly mad, which I guess is a fitting end to Lovecraft month.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the author alluded to the seven deadly sins?

I think I'll have to listen to the story again. Obviously I'm missing some things :)

moonowl

Postby moonowl » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:52 am

I'm going to confess I feel stupid. I've listened to it 3 times. My mind keeps wandering off.

I start out, "ooh, creepy, this is good"
then my ADD kicks in and I lose my focus, and it turns into "words words words words....."

I don't know if it's me or the writing, but you all seem to love it. Maybe I'm just not getting it, unless it's just a guy with OCD and a multiple identity disorder? Does someone have the cliff notes version?
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

mrsmica

Postby mrsmica » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:45 pm

moonowl - the short answer is yes, MPD, and the personality we get to see has OCD

The implication that it was a male character was so strong that when I was reading it I actually forgot that Norm had already told me that she was a she :O It reminded me a lot of Poe and his main characters are always male.

The character she sees coming towards the apartment looks like her, down to the color of her hair, and they slowly exchange clothes, but for me it's the greeting of the neighbor that really seals the deal before the end.

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:11 pm

I found it interesting that while the implication strong, there never was anything actively or strongly implicating said implication. Jay's probably recovering from Worldcon but I hope he gets a chance to drop by read and comment here.
"Give us all some Jelly"

moonowl

Postby moonowl » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:20 pm

I'm pretty sure s/he was talking about how s/he was binding or unbinding the chest to change her appearance at one point. Of course that doesn't really clear it up, but usually that's something a female would do.

I've decided I like this story, even though I'm still unclear what exactly happened. I suppose it's fun to be confused (as millions of Lost fans must testify) and go along for the ride sometimes.
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

Unblinking

Postby Unblinking » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:14 pm

This one was fun, though it didn't hit me quite as strong as the other Lovecraft Month stories.

I'm wondering at this point if I'd have assumed the narrator was male in text, I think the male narrator might have done it for me. I was pretty excited that I figured out that EALOU was JEALOUSY before the second note showed up, and the UTTON confirmed my suspicion. Since she was writing the notes to herself I'm assuming those are the crimes she feels that she is guilty of, and that is a subtle self-accusation.

I did guess the self-identity long before the end, but I think I have Tyler Durden to thank for that.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Re: Classics 03 (EP 178)– The Tentacled Sky

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:33 am

{Marker for start of Classics comments. See Pondspider's suggestion.}

AspirationRealized

Postby AspirationRealized » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:33 am

adamflorence wrote:Thanks for "jealous". I was missing that one.

JEALOUSY
GLUTTONY
GREED
MURDER

I really enjoyed this story but couldn't put these together. I got greed and murder but assumed the UTTON was button and had no idea about the ealou. It seems really obvious now. By the way, murder probably fits wrath right?

This was really bothering me because while it is of course an unreliable narrator, I knew the letters had to mean something.

I know I'm quoting something a few years old, but what else am I to do as a new Drabblecast listener enjoying the "classics"?

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”