Drabblecast 180 - Something Borrowed, Something Doomed

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 180 - Something Borrowed, Something Doomed

Post by Kevin Anderson » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:30 pm

Drabble- From My Heart, to Whatever the Hell You Have
by Nicholas J. Carter

Drabblecast 180- Something Borrowed, Something Doomed
by Robert Jeschonek

While the rest a' the country had turned away from the biorevolution, we Best Virginians had become magicians. We had learned how to use the tiniest creatures to change the world in the biggest, most beautiful ways...

Music by Edmund Butt, Norm Sherman and Gringo Motel
Art by Bo Kaier
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

dreamrock

Re: Drabblecast 180- Something Borrowed, Something Doomed

Post by dreamrock » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:47 pm

Mp3 feed seems to be acting up today. The link to the mp3 version is: http://web.me.com/normsherman/Site/Medi ... Doomed.mp3
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

jannypie

Post by jannypie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:50 pm

Hah I really love the idea of Best Virginia. Talk about the end of the world! This was a great story, it was so much fun to listen to. I really enjoy Lauren Synger's voice, it does that touch of an accent so well without being overdone.

Congrats to Matt on the new assistant editor spot! I did the artwork for his story The Elves Hate You. :)
And thanks to Kendall and Luke for taking the giant twisted phallus for us all so that we can have Drabblecast. <3
----
Reality is stranger than fiction... except on The Drabblecast.

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:16 pm

This story affected me deeply.
As I listened, I began to feel a stinging sensation on my shoulders. Running my hands under my shirt, I felt what seemed like reptilean scales. Checking it out later in the mirror, it was not scales at all, but hundreds of small blisters.
This is an extremely weird sensation.
This week's story may well be the weirdest episode of the Drabblecast ever.

Coincidence?
I think not.

It also happens to be both the departure of Kendall and Luke and the arrival of Matt Bey (people's dads gonna miss the love).

Have you discovered how to bioengineer your audience?
Audiobiology. That would be a genuine "ne plus ultra". And I bet your paypal account would soon overflow. Or else.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:36 am

I, er, didn't enjoy this story that much.

It was well written, and the production was awesome, but the story itself just left me cold. This could just be a personal taste thing, I tend not to go for quasi - weird - sf stories, but for me to was meh enough that I'm not even drawn in for a second listen to see if I was wrong the first time.

But then again that's one of the great things about DC; you never know what you're going to get.

And a big plus side, I loooved the music. In fact the echo guitar part at 8.30 mins into the main story - if there's any way this piece is available on it's own, it's definitely something that I could find a place on my ipod for.
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

themorg

Post by themorg » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:42 am

I really like it when an author takes real place and sets it on its side adding bio engineering hill billies and the end of the world. It makes you feel something familiar and gives an opportunity to feel something different while feeling safe.

Also I like how honest the drabblecast is about its inception and its huge swollen... Welcome Matt hope they cleaned up a place for you after the Rath infestation. Also i suggest you avoid eating any eggs you find on the shore. They look inviting but it is not worth it.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Talia

Post by Talia » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:20 pm

I mostly loved the story, but the ending didn't have any particular emotional payoff for me. Swimming around in the dark being able to poof things into existence sounds pretty spiffy, though.

RE: Drabble - and just what's wrong about getting turned on by sea cucumbers?? *defensive*

*cough*

IE Mr. Carter's Escape Pod flash story - its awesomely weird in and of itself, and can be found here (you'll need to register for the EA forums): http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=4014.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And welcome to Matt. 'Elves' is in very close contention with 'Best Drabblecast story of all time, ever,' even giving 'Let Us Now Praise Awesome Dinosaurs' a real run for its money.
themorg wrote: Also i suggest you avoid eating any eggs you find on the shore. They look inviting but it is not worth it.
Yes, just wait until they hatch and the clownlings emerge. Much tastier then. :p

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:39 pm

This story did not do it for me, it was a bit of a hodge-podge of concepts but nothing was explored to any conclusion. For example; the world ends on the protagonists wedding day, but there is no emotional feedback from the event - there is not even another mention for the groom. Ho-hum.

In other news, I for one welcome our new Associate Editor overlord.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:03 pm

I remember that drabble. :lol: Quite a stunner.

I have to echo Phenopath's complaint about the world ending emotional vacancy. The concept was really great on the story, but it felt like Chekhov's gun was an uzi that got used to shoot up a flower bed and then the characters had a boiled plant matter party. I feel like the story need a lot more. Not more content, but more depth of pathos.

One great way to pull that off would have been the discovery that the reason her brothers destroyed the world was somehow caused by their mother's deception. Also, having some sort of writhing death scene for the groom and the brothers.

Welcome aboard, Matt. You're clearly our sort of weirdo.

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:37 am

I agree with dreamrock that this would be perfected by having the world's destruction tied into the mother, some kind of casual misunderstanding. The writhing death scene would be an irony multiplier.

But I want to add that IMO these suggestions would perfect a story that totally amazes me with its originality and perspective. This episode is a unique one, in my opinion, a whole new level of out of the box, that it seems to be going unrecognized here.

Often in my experience the first time I experience something like this, I don't particularly like it at all. Like jazz, at first it offended my ear, until it went past my ears. Mr. Jeschonek is like jazz.

So I want to encourage him to expand the piece.

You don't say what Matt Bey's input was on this episode, but if what I sense here is right, The Drabblecast just started Stage III.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:46 am

I also want to say that even though I thought the story had room for improvement, I still enjoyed it a lot. It's not a bad story by any stretch, and it is definitely a Drabblecast story.

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:53 am

Welcome aboard, Matt! "The Elves Hate You" was possibly my favorite B-side story evah. You rock. :D
http://cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://panamindorah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:00 am

Nah, I've got stories lined up almost through Nov. You'll probably start tasting the new squid in town after then. :)

And just for the record, I kind of enjoyed the flippancy with which the story handled the end of the world! Oops, sorry sis. Our bads.
"Give us all some Jelly"

m_bey

Post by m_bey » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:58 am

Just because I wasn't involved with the selection, editing, or production of this story doesn't mean that I'm not willing to take credit for it.

And thanks for the welcome, y'all! It's great to be a part of the team!

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:58 am

Wait, who the hell are Luke and Kendall?

:twisted:
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

Schreiber

Post by Schreiber » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:55 pm

moonowl wrote:Wait, who the hell are Luke and Kendall?

Don't make me come over there.

:twisted:

moonowl

Post by moonowl » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:30 am

I love that story! Was it a full, all you can eat buffet of strange? No, but it was a weird little piece of candy delivered by the favorite weekly voices in my head. Good show!
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:34 pm

First off- Welcome Matthew Bey! It's great to have you reading slush. :-)

The drabble was awesome.

The main story was really good. I agree with all the nay sayers about this or that not being "right", but that is the beauty of the story. There is a lot of culture shock built into this story, a lack of understanding of how that family in Best Virginia handles the world in comparison to us. I think more pathos would have destroyed the story, the flippancy and casual approach to matters of grave importance are critical to the story in my humble opine.

I think Strawman and I are on the same side with this one, despite me not liking Jazz. :-)
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:16 am

MP3 end up coming down the tubes OK? Someone posted on the Mp3 page that the file wasn't working either.
"Give us all some Jelly"

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:05 am

normsherman wrote:MP3 end up coming down the tubes OK? Someone posted on the Mp3 page that the file wasn't working either.
I'm not sure about the mp3 page, but the mp3 feed did start working. What happened with the mp3 feed was that the episode didn't show up in the feed for a long time after it went up everywhere else. When it did go up, the file came through fine.

The file was there all along, though. I got the link to the file by looking at the JS file the mp3 page linked to.