Drabblecast 079 - Low-Carb Cheesecake

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 079 - Low-Carb Cheesecake

Postby Kevin Anderson » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:55 pm

Low-Carb Cheesecake
by Nicky Drayden

"Of course. I'll have that right out to you. And will that be all?"
"Just one thing," I said, nodding towards the cheesecake. "How do you do it?"

Drabble- My Nightmare
by Nathan Hotovoy

Drabble- Night of the Witches
by Josh Charney and Andrew Culver

Well Told Tales | B.J. Harrison | I Killed AwesomeMan |Mega Beasts
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

strawman

Postby strawman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:23 pm

The Drabblecast is the true low-carb cheesecake made from dusted pixies. But also a bit like Chinese food. You get filled up, but hungry again an hour later. Two drabbles, a sketch, and I Killed Awesomeman!... all very enjoyable. Keep it comin', Mr. Waiter.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:48 am

Drabble #1: Cute, funny.
Drabble #2: Huh?
Story: Tasty.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

cammoblammo

Postby cammoblammo » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:46 am

The main feature was pretty sweet, and one of the better stories we've had in a while. The story was economical---it used just the right amount of words. The ending surprised me, which is getting harder to do. And the absurdity of the whole thing was nuanced perfectly.

It also reminded me I should be watching the carbs I'm consuming at the moment. Gym memberships aren't getting any cheaper.

Nicky, well done.

The drabbles were okay, although I don't think I quite caught what was going on in the first one. I'll have another listen. I liked the production on the second---the music was well done and the chording reminded me of Metallica in an acoustic sort of a way.

All in all, this was a good week in Drabblecast land. If Armourdillo gets up it'll be one to remember.

Richmazzer

Postby Richmazzer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:24 am

Great episode. Loved both the Drabbles (especially the garden jockey) and the feature was fantastic. The story had great compression and said all it needed to in the best amount of words. Very tight and entertaining.

adam

Postby adam » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:27 am

bravo!
i enjoyed this weeks as well. wanted a bit of an encour since it was so brief, but as cammo and rich said, the concisety is an appreciated factor, not a detriment. i think the feature, and that aspect of it speak well for the idea of "drabblecast" in the sense of the definition.
drabbles, as 100 word stories, are frequently used as exercises to get budding writers to be concise and word-efficient. in that respect that literal 100 word length isnt the important part, it's just a parameter. low-carb cheesecake does a great job of being a drabble in essence without being a drabble in form.

and it even ties in with the discussion of last weeks story! why is eating pixies gross, or 'wrong?' because they wear little shoes, which makes them seem human, which makes it like canibalism? it seems so wrong, but if you're not a pixie yourself, you can't say with any certainty they're more than people-shaped humming birds. might as well eat up!

adam

Postby adam » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:30 am

oh, and regarding the promo:
ive listened to the first 2 episodes of "i killed awesome man" and let me say right off, it's great. norm does an 'awesome' job. i wouldnt put well told tales on par with drabblecast generally, but if the next 5 episodes of this mini-series are as good as the first ones, i might become a long-term subscriber.

strawman

Postby strawman » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:45 am

Richmazzer wrote:Great episode. Loved both the Drabbles (especially the garden jockey) and the feature was fantastic. The story had great compression and said all it needed to in the best amount of words. Very tight and entertaining.

I agree. When the meaning of the story is unveiled in its final sentence, that is truly satisfying. Sorta makes you want to lie back and light up a cigarette.

I Killed Awesomeman actually feels like an audio comic book. As they say on XM's Sonic Theater, the panels are in your head. I think the collaboration may be a new genre. Well done.

Spoiler:

Goldenrat

Postby Goldenrat » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:19 am

adam wrote:bravo!
and it even ties in with the discussion of last weeks story! why is eating pixies gross, or 'wrong?' because they wear little shoes, which makes them seem human, which makes it like canibalism? it seems so wrong, but if you're not a pixie yourself, you can't say with any certainty they're more than people-shaped humming birds. might as well eat up!

I think eating anything that looks human would freak a lot of people out, even if they are not human sized. Especially if they are intelligent as I'm assuming pixies are.

Loved the story, short and creepy. Actually, I think it would've worked a little better if it ended sooner after the slipper was found. I also liked the drabble about the witch moms.
Raise your fists and scream "black smut"!

thebrog

Postby thebrog » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:04 pm

I love stories with morals in them:

Pixies are delicious, eat them.
The Elitists Podcast
A Weekly Blizzard Entertainment News Podcast
http://www.Elitistpodcast.com/

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Postby Kevin Anderson » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:39 pm

Pixies - Betcha' can't just eat one.
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:03 am

Which reminds me- When are we going to hear another drabblecast from Mr. Anderson? Ignore those pussies complaining about zombies. I think with the mega-beast deathmatch going on, it's perfect timing.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

G. E. Lee

Postby G. E. Lee » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:16 pm

Kevin Anderson wrote:Pixies - Betcha' can't just eat one.

I've got the fever for the flavor of a Pixie?
These stories had great mouth feel. I especially loved the first drabble.
mogera robusta

McToad

Postby McToad » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:14 am

Cute story, nice cannibal theme going here.

I do wonder though...given how crowded the restaurant is, and with the implication that all of the dishes have pixie content...they must need what, 2-300 pixies a day? Too many to raise out back. Plus you need some more pixies to make the shoes. Do they ship em over from the old country (a’la The Wire season 2)? Or is there a pixie farm out in the country somewhere?

And what kind of kitchen are they running? You gut fish, peel carrots. What kind of chef doesn’t bother to undress the pixies?
Anything is possible, few things are probable.

suxshadows

Postby suxshadows » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:37 am

McToad wrote:And what kind of kitchen are they running? You gut fish, peel carrots. What kind of chef doesn’t bother to undress the pixies?

The kind that can't seem to sleep at night; imagining those tiny tear-filled eyes staring up at him, pleading for him to stop as he fumbles with their teeny zippers and buttons.
easy now, fuzzy little man-peach...

strawman

Postby strawman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:45 pm

This is obviously a job for Ron Popiel.

Your Wondermatic Pixie Stripper is guaranteed to strip 4 pixies at a time. Simply slip a pixie on this little skewer and load the skewers into this soundproof, translucent chamber. Comes in your choice of 3 colors, and is entirely dishwasher-safe!
But wait! There's more! If you order right now, we'll include a variety pack of pixies and a 12 month membership in the Pixie of the Month Club. Imagine having a succulent new flavor pixie delivered to your doorstep every month!

Spoiler:

F5iver

Postby F5iver » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:42 am

Wait...
So what are Pixie Stix made from? Dust, toejam, pixie fecal matter, or are they pure pixie, no preservatives?

Goldenrat

Postby Goldenrat » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:27 pm

F5iver wrote:Wait...
So what are Pixie Stix made from? Dust, toejam, pixie fecal matter, or are they pure pixie, no preservatives?

I would have to think pure Pixie. They give you an instant sugar buzz. I remember a comedian making reference to Pixie Stix in a joke, something like "we didn't need crack growing up, we had Pixie Stix". Yeah, I'm old.
Raise your fists and scream "black smut"!

Unblinking

Re: Drabblecast 79- Low-Carb Cheesecake by Nicky Drayden

Postby Unblinking » Mon May 02, 2011 5:22 pm

Nice! I'm going to try this restaurant immediately. Sounds delicious!

Seriously, good creepy dark humor reveal, classic Drabblecast.

sandrilde

Re: Drabblecast 079 - Low-Carb Cheesecake

Postby sandrilde » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:02 pm

Really enjoyed this - it was a perfect contrast to go from her thinking fondly of a house full of happy pixies dusting her food to the reality of crunching into chopped up pixie parts. Good stuff.

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”