Drabblecast 181 - Funeral Song for a Ventriloquist

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
adamflorence

Re: Drabblecast 181- Funeral Song for a Ventriloquist

Post by adamflorence » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:38 am

First they came for Brontosaurus, but I said nothing, because I am not a dinosaur.

Then they came for Pluto, but I said nothing, because I am not a planet.

Then they came for Triceratops, but I said nothing, because, well, see above.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:32 am

Lucid wrote:Hi, I'm new and easily scared by social situations such as first posts on a new forum.
Welcome Lucid. Put your feet up, enjoy a story with us.

I think you'll find these folks to be nicest in these parts. As long as you stay away from the Super Animal Deathmatch Competition. That is... fun spirited meanness.

Are you a new listener, or have you heard 'em all?
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:38 am

New listener of the last few weeks or so. I mainlined the episodes available on iTunes and have found myself digging through the archives for more. And thanks for the welcomes! I may be shy at first, but fun spirited meanness is right up my alley. :)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:41 am

Well, as referenced in another thread, we should put an addiction warning on the archives. When you run out it's not... pretty.

jannypie

Post by jannypie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:06 pm

Lucid wrote:
Also, what's in a name? That which we call a triceratops by any other name, would smell as...

well you get the idea.
Hey! Welcome :)

Also, <random>, I heard a bit on NPR that blindfolded people in a scent test didnt actually find roses smell as sweet when called by other names. Weird, right?</random>
----
Reality is stranger than fiction... except on The Drabblecast.

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:06 pm

jannypie wrote:
Lucid wrote:
Also, what's in a name? That which we call a triceratops by any other name, would smell as...

well you get the idea.
Hey! Welcome :)

Also, <random>, I heard a bit on NPR that blindfolded people in a scent test didnt actually find roses smell as sweet when called by other names. Weird, right?</random>
Thank you!
What do blindfolded people think of how a triceratops smells when it's called by another name? :wink:

jannypie

Post by jannypie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:19 pm

not sure, sounds like a field study is in our future!
----

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:05 pm

jannypie wrote:not sure, sounds like a field study is in our future!
I think it sounds like a field study in the past.

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:22 pm

This is going to make verb tenses very, very tricky. I can tell already.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:45 am

Lucid wrote:This is going to make verb tenses very, very tricky. I can tell already.
:lol: Of course not. Just remember your N and D tenses. I haved fourteen tristegosauruses and haven twenty micro self-transporting lenses = in the present-past, I posses fourteen tristegosauruses and in the present-future I posses twenty micro self-transporting lenses.

I sneaked around 18th century London stealeding sweets from infants.

You'red new to this time-travelening stuff, aren'ted you? :o
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

jannypie

Post by jannypie » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:21 am

well, i was going to say they are extinct so the world may never know, but then i realized their bones are still here, and then i was going to say all dino bones smell the same with your eyes shut, but i thought that might sound perverted, and so in the vein of blindfolded study discussions, field trip to sniff bones. present tense.
----

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:34 am

I better wash first.

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:56 am

dreamrock wrote:
Lucid wrote:This is going to make verb tenses very, very tricky. I can tell already.
:lol: Of course not. Just remember your N and D tenses. I haved fourteen tristegosauruses and haven twenty micro self-transporting lenses = in the present-past, I posses fourteen tristegosauruses and in the present-future I posses twenty micro self-transporting lenses.

I sneaked around 18th century London stealeding sweets from infants.

You'red new to this time-travelening stuff, aren'ted you? :o
I see you're an old hand at this. I haved no-ted the experienced that you clearly possesseding. Telled me, what dod Tricerotopsesed smell like?
jannypie wrote:well, i was going to say they are extinct so the world may never know, but then i realized their bones are still here, and then i was going to say all dino bones smell the same with your eyes shut, but i thought that might sound perverted, and so in the vein of blindfolded study discussions, field trip to sniff bones. present tense.
Well we have, now, learned to clone some things. We could always pull a jurassic park, though I think xkcd has the right idea with cloning them to be teeny tiny. That way if they escape we can just step on them and get on with our lives. Fuck that whole hiding in the kitchen from the terrible raptors thing. We have opposable thumbs and frontal lobes.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:14 am

Lucid wrote:I see you're an old hand at this. I haved no-ted the experienced that you clearly possesseding. Telled me, what dod Tricerotopsesed smell like?
Like tristegoshat. :lol:
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:24 am

Clearly, Shakespear was correct. A Tricerotopsesed smells like tritegoshat.... by any other name. :lol:

TheBori

Post by TheBori » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:24 pm

Hey thanks everyone for the kind words on my narration. I had a great time trying different subtle voices for the dummy...how creepy, how old, etc. It was fun.
I wasn't sure how the Drabble-listeners take to a Non-Norm narration. I need that on a t-shirt..."Non-Norm". That's one of the great things about Norm...he can run the show (very well) but is comfortable enough to let someone else shine for a bit. Thanks Norm.

Mike

p.s. I'd love to do more for the maestro... perhaps a grass-roots movement to persuade him....Non-Norm, Non-Norm, Non-Norm...
http://www.MikeBorisAudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:32 pm

I guess I get to be the lone dissenter this time. In the end, this story didn't do it for me. It had a lot of cool things going for it, especially the heap of dummies, and the statement that a ventriloquist's job is to keep the dummies from speaking, and the ventriloquist reborn as a dummy.

But:
-I found the self-aware narration distracting. I like metafiction when done in a certain way, but here it was more distracting than enhancing the story to me.
-The ending left me totally flat. I see that several others said that was their favorite part, so I probably just didn't get it. When I realized the story ended, I thought I'd missed the ending entirely until I played it back.

Etaan

Post by Etaan » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:47 pm

Finally getting caught up on some older episodes.

Love, love, loved this story. Like many tales featured on the Drabblecast, it was even better the second time around. The reading was top notch. I could feel how much "the story" wanted to paint a happier picture, but the bleak, empty void just kept showing through the cracks.

Norm, I'm so torn about the intro. You brought the funny. I was in fits. And then the narration started and I realized that in you had paralleled the story too closely and had wound up playing the spoiler. The comedy may have suffered a bit for putting your piece in the outro, but I think the main story may have suffered for having heard your take on it first.
"Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
"That is an excellent practice. But right now I'd suggest you concentrate on the Jabberwocky."

mrsmica

Post by mrsmica » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:18 pm

I absolutely adored this story, all the way up until the end. I see I'm in the minority on this one, but I felt we didn't learn enough about the puppet, since we couldn't learn the secret. Or perhaps just a little more action at the end. Something to make the resolution at little more... resolved.

ZuSquared

Post by ZuSquared » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:34 pm

I thought it did tell the secret, to my mind anyway. That life is kind of pointless because we just wither and die and our ambitions turn to rust. When the ventriloquist found out this secret it killed him, one way or another.

Human beings aren't good at dealing with their own mortality, or the idea that their entire lifetime's hopes and dreams may count as zero in the long term scheme of things.

I can only speculate what the last puppet was made from. I'm guessing the ventriloquist had ended up in a 'dark place' of a certain sort.