Drabblecast 080 - Standing in Line

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:32 am

yah, sorry. I counted on you people being distracted by Sarah Palin.

It worked. (For Drabblecast too!)
"Give us all some Jelly"

AynSavoy

Re: old man

Post by AynSavoy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:59 pm

cammoblammo wrote:I couldn't figure out how the old man knew as much as he did. Wouldn't he have had just as much time to figure it out as the young family did?
I had a little problem with this, too, and the way I justified it for myself is along the lines of what other people have said here about the true ambiguity of the story--he doesn't actually know. He can be absolutely certain, the way that people with strong faith are certain about the things they believe, and what he sees can seem to corroborate his beliefs. But that doesn't mean that he's right; it's just one possible explanation (one that he happens to be certain of).

This justification works well for me as I am disinclined, like some other listeners here, to believe in an afterlife. I like the Dr. Manhattan theory.
"she says 'I like long walks and sci-fi movies'"
http://amillionwordstogo.blogspot.com

StalinSays
Beast-Master

old man

Post by StalinSays » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:16 pm

I shrugged off the old man's knowledge as the usual archetype, functional storytelling cliche. The elderly understand mortality and spirituality with keener comprehension than us all. They're elder, they're sages. Didn't get caught on the geriatric prophet snag, and yeh, you really shouldn't, he could always have been bullsh*tting.

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:48 am

At this point I have listened to this episode more than a dozen times and it would seem its my favorite drabblecast episode. The production in the drabble was terrifying, and the main story was haunting and touching. I love apocalyptic and or large event stories and these both just struck a cord in me that I can't really explain.

I do know that if the apocalypse does come, I’m now going to be ready. I have a bottle of wine handy, and I’ve secured roof access.
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

robertmarkbram

Post by robertmarkbram » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:38 am

This story plus Drabblecast 83- Floating Over Time by Robert Reed are my top 2 favourite Drabblecasts of all time.

I loved it that they were confused at first - that it took a while to work out they were really dead. And the thought of "what's next?" made the story that much more tantalizing.

I imagine that there were a lot of people in the crowd who, like the grandpa and little girl, understood early on that they were dead. I think if fits very well that some people understood and others didn't - how much warning could they have had after all?

Rob
:)

Unblinking

Re: Drabblecast 80 - Standing in Line by Michael Simon

Post by Unblinking » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:32 pm

Ooh, I liked this one. I always enjoy contemplation of various afterlife possibilities. This one was very compelling, more so because, as others have pointed out, it's not at all clear what will actually HAPPEN after the wait. Is there life after death? Yes, at least for a little while, but geez you just stand around and then suddenly you're not there. Is there life after life after death, preferably somewhere a little less boring? No idea.

sandrilde

Re: Drabblecast 080 - Standing in Line

Post by sandrilde » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:06 pm

Didn't love this - like everyone else, i wondered how the old folks happened to know what was coming and well -

the fact is that i"m much more forgiving and tolerant towards weird/funny stories than serious ones. Just what I like, I guess. Sometimes the serious ones blow me away, but I didn't feel like this had much substance beyond the classic I-died-and-i-know-it-because-i'm-looking-at-my-body-time-to-go-into-the-light -Feel like that's been done a lot. On to the next!