Drabblecast 183 - Angel of the Ordinary

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 183 - Angel of the Ordinary

Post by Kevin Anderson » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:39 am

Drabble- Dear God
by Henry Gaudet

Angel of the Ordinary

by Tim Pratt

“They will come on bicycles and by balloon, they will arrive in mailboxes and packages of cake batter. They will come like fleas on the dogs and like giants over the moon. The dull shall be turned into nothing by the coming of the angels...”

Art by Count Blackula
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

Mikes

Re: Drabblecast 183- Angel of the Ordinary by Tim Pratt

Post by Mikes » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:48 am

Another Tim Pratt story - score!

I liked it. Nothing flashy, just a simple tale of how salvation isn't always what you expect it could be.

The delivery was awesome (and thanks for including the audio at the end, I literally guffawed at work and I don't think I'll ever look at pillow mints the same way ever again).

And great drabble also. Made me smile more than I had any right to.
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

Polecat

Post by Polecat » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:28 am

Truly, truly do I say unto you: THAT WAS A HOOT!!

Salvation via wierdness is a gospel I have long accepted into my heart - add to it getting saved by a good woman (even if she had previously left him for a strange accented, motorcycling sleaze merchant) and ones joy could be complete. Probably the funniest thing I have heard this year, and very possibly my choice for best of 2010. The drabble reminded me of many of my prayers, it was a little less radical, though. The use of music, also, was exceptional - absurdist drama with a "classic" radio play soundtrack - the last time I thought that the scoring was up to this quality was The Golden Age of Fire Escapes, and I mean that as a copmilent.

Respectfully

The Polecat

Muse of Chaos

Post by Muse of Chaos » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:38 pm

Leave it to the Drabblecast to make me actually -want- to watch Wade on "King of the Hill" for this story alone.

Brilliantly fun reading, crazy twisted funny story. Loved it!
The Drabble Devil

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:44 pm

The addition of Hearty White's performance to Tim Pratt's story was inspired. (If Hearty could phone in on behalf of the BMW...well, that's another story).
The drabble has my vote for the year's best - strange isn't everything. Sometimes just plain excellence is good enough.
But Hearty's style has an impromptu quality that's like a bluegrass jam that just rolls along until you get rolling in it. You need to keep Hearty on the rolodex. I wonder if I could get him to record the welcome on my answering machine?
He's the kind of voice that make's me want to write a story just to hear him do it.
Great week for DC! :D

PS Time to vote again!
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

HenryGaudet

Post by HenryGaudet » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:24 am

Okay, gotta tell you, that was a rush. Thanks for the great read, Norm. That was just how it sounded in my head.

The main story was brilliant. Tim Pratt strikes again! And Hearty White's delivery was spot on. Gave me a couple good out-loud laughs. Excellent story with excellent delivery!

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:24 am

Seven seals seal seven holes.

I didn't care much for the story, but that outro had me laughing until the tears came. That just might have been the funniest thing since the Monty Python "bridge of death" skit.
Advertise in this space!

themorg

Post by themorg » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:36 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:Seven seals seal seven holes.

I didn't care much for the story, but that outro had me laughing until the tears came. That just might have been the funniest thing since the Monty Python "bridge of death" skit.
Are you comparing "bridge of death" and the outro because the main character had a beard and a funny accent?
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:01 am

Short, sweet, and totally awesome. Tim Pratt's story was heart-wrenching and poignant in a way that "Literature" tries to be but usually fails at. Is the protagonist sane? Probably not. This probably isn't a science fiction story in any technical sense. But it's a damned good story and, of course, way too weird to be printed wherever they print Literature short stories. Good stuff.

themorg wrote:Are you comparing "bridge of death" and the outro because the main character had a beard and a funny accent?
Hey, Morg. I tried responding to your PMs, but the forum is all screwy. I sent an email, but I'm not sure it went through. Anyway, totally not ignoring you. D:
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:08 am

Great concept, when the rapture comes it won't be the righteous who are saved but the extraordinary. I liked the PoV of the odd-ball who decks himself out in baubles and fills his front yard with headless dollies. However, I was disappointed how easily he abandoned his enlightened lifestyle when his former girlfriend turned up on the scene, and I was not convinced by God's sudden change of heart either... this could easily have been Satan is disguise trying to lure our hero back into a foolish life of cursed normality.

However, I do think that the drabblecast forums will remain untouched when the rapture comes... in their heart not one person here is truly normal.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:11 am

dreamrock wrote: Is the protagonist sane? Probably not.
eh?
dreamrock wrote: Hey, Morg. I tried responding to your PMs, but the forum is all screwy.
themorg does not allow PMs from ordinary mortals.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:23 am

Phenopath wrote:
dreamrock wrote: Is the protagonist sane? Probably not.
eh?
My interpretation is that the protag started hallucinating God as a way of dealing with his wife's departure. He's still not sane when she comes back, but the fact that she accepts him despite his relative normality has an effect on his internal interpretation of what his God hallucination should desire. God wants him to watch less TV and learn dancing with his wife and while Mr. Motorcycle is still more unusual than the protagonist, he'll get his comeuppance.

I could be wrong though. It's just an interpretation. :oops:

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:39 am

Phenopath wrote: I was disappointed how easily he abandoned his enlightened lifestyle when his former girlfriend turned up on the scene, and I was not convinced by God's sudden change of heart either...
This is what made the story poignant. When Ham's girlfriend ran off with Vivaldo on the motorcycle, Ham was convinced it was because he was boring and ordinary. He reasoned that being loved must depend on being more extraordinary than Vivaldo.

Fundamentally, salvation is about being loved, so Ham naturally becomes a Jeremiah of the Extraordinary.
If Drabblecast had a theology, this would probably be it.

Hearty's outro reprise fit the story so perfectly you'd think Tim might have written the story for him. I imagine Hearty must have wondered if Norm discovered the manuscript in a cave by the Dead Sea.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:41 am

Dreamrock - I'm teasing, you silly sausage.

I was disappointed by the transformative effect of the wifes return, if you are mad (and this guy is madder than a box of frogs) that does not simply switch off, or go away. His wife may be therapeutic, but he was in need of some serious mediation to handle those hallucinations.

Oh, and Hearty's narration may have been the best of the year.

themorg

Post by themorg » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:24 am

Phenopath wrote:
dreamrock wrote: Hey, Morg. I tried responding to your PMs, but the forum is all screwy.
themorg does not allow PMs from ordinary mortals.
I do but i have a hard time calling you a mortal. i saw you playing mortal combat i know better than to step up.

Also I got the email thanks. On my other forum (it is just a RPG ill never cheat on this forum) i am having the same PM problems i sent a ticket to get it fixed and got a messaging saying that it is a known issue that they are trying to solve.
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

themorg

Post by themorg » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:29 am

Phenopath wrote:Dreamrock - I'm teasing, you silly sausage.

I was disappointed by the transformative effect of the wifes return, if you are mad (and this guy is madder than a box of frogs) that does not simply switch off, or go away. His wife may be therapeutic, but he was in need of some serious mediation to handle those hallucinations.

Oh, and Hearty's narration may have been the best of the year.
I thought the transformation was one of the most telling parts about the entire story. If you ask me what was really going on i could only say that his god said things were alright.

This story was golden and platinum so it was platoldenum.

6 stars out of 4

I want to see this developed into a tv show. my name is earl and pushing daises wrapted neatly with Shub-Niggurath seal of joy.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:31 pm

Phenopath wrote:Dreamrock - I'm teasing, you silly sausage.
:lol: If the universe ever implements my feature request--a gigantic WHOOSH noise when something goes completely by my head--I'll have a lot fewer of these misunderstandings. :shock:

tamarbucks

Post by tamarbucks » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:54 pm

Loved it!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:57 pm

This is Drabblecast.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

boot

Hellfire for Boring Folks

Post by boot » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:13 pm

Oh, I loved this one. Loved it and didn't want it to end. This piece is like a peek at the soul of all us weird listeners...salvation through extraordination.

I enjoyed the change Ham experiences when his girl returns because it brings him back closer to a place where I can empathize: First he was a nutty guy obeying the God between the TV channels, now he's a nutty guy whose measurement of personal value was unhinged by his girlfriend's abrupt and groundshaking departure. Maybe Ham went crazy enough to hallucinate God. Or maybe he became lucid enough to see God where we can't.

And finally, I love that Ham cooking dinner a few times a week and putting the toilet seat down would be sufficiently against the grain of society to mark Ham as extraordinary. At the Passover it was lamb's blood on the door, in the coming Apocalypse it will be the lowered toilet seats.

Awesome narration. When I get a job, I'm going to donate to you guys.
That was a typographical error--it should have been a blank space.