Drabblecast 081 - Snuffles

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 081 - Snuffles

Post by Kevin Anderson » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:42 am

Snuffles by Jamie Lackey

Snuffles' cave was a marvelous place. It was where his glowing rock lived...

Drabble- Chester Cleans the Kitchen
by Liz Mierzejewski - The Big Purple Couch

Music by
Seraphic Panalopy and Deven Anderson

Art by Bo Kaier
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:24 pm

I loved me some Snuffles! Being a resident of a small town with a nuclear plant I'm alway hoping some mutant creature comes sloshing out of the river or some giant glowing gopher digs a cavern in my back yard. Snuffles will have to do for now.

The drabble was OK. Not sure why the cockroach man would want to kill his wife. Good sound effects.
Raise your fists and scream "black smut"!

StalinSays
Beast-Master

cool

Post by StalinSays » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:10 pm

Another enjoyable episode - I demand a sequel! For the love of Snuffles S E Q U E L!

This story remind anybody of The Prophecy with a Russian twist? Anyone see The Prophecy? Probably just me. It does have a big prosthetic rubber bear mutant, so it garners my recommendation.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079758/

Snuffles my man, ever consider a career in death-matching? You're already halfway there just appearing on the Drabblecast. I know people who know people, and we've been looking for someone to carry the Skullverine's torch ever since his second death.

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:12 am

No the cockroachman didn't want to kill his wife, but subliminally, all wives think their husbands are disguised cockroaches.

The drabblecast was somewhat like the original Frankenbadger, which had the monster being pursued to the north pole. The radiation mutant theme has now been done with ants, bees, Godzilla, and spiders, and probably more that I missed. How to make this original? Oo Oo Oo! I know! A badger... and we'll make him sympathetic by his resisting the urge to eat his dead family because it just felt wrong (radioactive badger with a conscience!) Now that's funny... ah don't care who you are...
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

RG

Post by RG » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:39 pm

Interesting. Bad mutant badger and bad human. Makes you wonder which one is the real giant radioactive monster. I'd go with Snuffles.

Don't know if anyone has ever mentioned this before, but I like that little "drabble" that comes right before the drabble.

bolddeceiver

Post by bolddeceiver » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:50 pm

I know it was a silly story, but it took itself just a little too seriously, and I had a very hard time willingly suspending disbelief long enough to listen through to the end. Pu doesn't glow green, and the only mutations it might cause in an exposed badger would be numerous terminal malignant tumors. And our idealist-turned-nuclear-materials-smuggler was such a completely ridiculous character that I almost forgot about the bad science. This read like a 1960s B movie, minus the campy fun.
...the pagoda-like enclosure, where Japanese sand-badgers disported themselves...

Drabbling Daily

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:41 pm

What a cute and cuddly story!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:55 pm

I liked this story because it is exactly the sort of thing I would have made up to entertain myself as a wee lad. Forbidding arctic climate. Over-the-top implausible premise. Amoral characters with double motives. Lots of carnage. Yup: This is what my imagination looked like when I was six... And some things haven't changed much since then.

And there are certain people here at my soul-sucking day job on whom the thought of a mutant badger munching seems both just and oddly poetic.

I liked the drabble because it was so unapologetically weird. It gives me the feeling that it's the second reel of a movie that would make perfect sense if I'd seen the first reel... But there is no first reel. It's just labeled "Reel 2" as an ironic joke by the director. I like that sort of thing.
Advertise in this space!

sevenfooter1

Good Twist...

Post by sevenfooter1 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:04 am

Just when I thought this story was over and the lady thought she had escaped danger, a twist came into play. I liked this story because I can imagine the poop dropping surprise the lady must have experienced when she realized she was being hunted down by the mutant badger.
------------------------------------------------------
Hakuna Matada - It means no worries.
------------------------------------------------------

Richmazzer

Post by Richmazzer » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:05 am

Ya, this story was classic Drabblecast. I gotta give it to the author, when you sit down with a pen to write, the radioactive mutant badger muse doesn't always bite.
It worked. It was flash fiction. We had two characters, I knew enough about them to care and they conflicted. I was paying attention the whole time and enjoyed it... success!

robertmarkbram

Post by robertmarkbram » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:20 am

It had me from the first line. Bolddeceiver, how can you listen to Drabblecast not like mutant badgers!?

Snuffles had never met anything that he didn't find delicious!

epmoyer

Big Ass Badgers!

Post by epmoyer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:34 pm

Oh my, the big ass badgers are coming!!!! See for yourself.....

http://www.videosift.com/video/Big-Ass-Badgers-1

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:18 am

Hee hee... Nice link.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Unblinking

Re: Drabblecast 81- Snuffles by Jamie Lackey

Post by Unblinking » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:15 pm

Fun stuff, classic DC material!

sandrilde

Re: Drabblecast 081 - Snuffles

Post by sandrilde » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:07 pm

Eek. This one was not for me. Felt like something a clever kid would write in a college class....