Drabblecast 184, 185 - Horror World 2025

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Unblinking

Re: Drabblecast 184- Horror World 2025

Post by Unblinking » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:23 pm

moonowl wrote: So the intro was for me as much fun as a barrel of face huggers. I'm sorry Norm, for the first time ever,it got REALLY old fast. I love puns. Tatas are great too. Just I really thought I was trapped listening to a 6 year old who just learned the word "boobies" was naughty and fun to say. It just was a joke that went on and on.
I actually agree. I almost always like Norm's intros, they're one of the main reasons the cast is so fun and weird. But this one went on a bit long with the boob jokes.

EDIT: My original post made it appear that the quote was from DKT, instead of properly attributing to moonowl. Sorry about that, it should be fixed now.

Non-Euclidean Geo.

Post by Non-Euclidean Geo. » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:15 am

Was that Ennio Morricone I heard when the cowboy entered at the end, or was it a pod-safe imitation? If that was imitation, it was awesome.

Polecat

Post by Polecat » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:12 pm

Unblinking wrote:
moonowl wrote: So the intro was for me as much fun as a barrel of face huggers. I'm sorry Norm, for the first time ever,it got REALLY old fast. I love puns. Tatas are great too. Just I really thought I was trapped listening to a 6 year old who just learned the word "boobies" was naughty and fun to say. It just was a joke that went on and on.
I actually agree....
I don´t - I really dig prepubescent silliness, and in fact enjoyed the intro more than the story this time. I dislike stories with zombies in them because I was brought up not to speak ill of the dead, and the whole point of zombies is to be spoken ill of, which offends my sense of natural justice.

respectfully

The Polecat

Praxis

Post by Praxis » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:27 pm

Apparently, this guy who knows this girl heard from this other guy whose bandleader's taxidermist saw this thing about how if you click on your podcatcher update button 3 times after midnight....................another halloween special episode appears.
Just like that.
"What are bones?"

Wonko

Post by Wonko » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:26 am

Is it sad that I recognised most of the musical cues from part two? Or is it awesome?

I'm leaning towards awesome, but only because of the "Tears in the Rain" bit at the end.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Twitter::Facebook

themorg

Post by themorg » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:02 am

Wonko wrote:Is it sad that I recognised most of the musical cues from part two? Or is it awesome?

I'm leaning towards awesome, but only because of the "Tears in the Rain" bit at the end.
#2 is up
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Drabblecast 185 - Horror World 2025: Part II

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:40 pm

Drabblecast 185- Horror World 2025: Part II by Kevin D. Anderson and D. K. Thompson

Kyle lifted another lightsaber. “Want one? They’re not as random or clumsy as a flamethrower.”
“Shit. The geek is strong in this one. Sure, Jedi me.”
Kyle tossed it to her with a grin. Hang on Grandpa. We’re coming...

Kevin D. Anderson
D.K. Thompson

Morgan Olson as Grandpa
Tom Baker as Ben
Michelle Ristuccia as Selena
Marshal Latham as Arnold
J. E. McNeil as The Cowboy

Art by Bo Kaier
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

themorg

Re: Drabblecast 185- Horror World 2025: Part II

Post by themorg » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:09 pm

Because it is always mentioned last i must Bo you did a great job on the art for this drabblecast. I knew i was in 1973 or 2025 because of the perfect font adaption. Mr. McNeal did a great Yule Brenner impersonation. Mr. Baker i felt you and i recorded our lines together to "enhance the customer experience." I thought the story was super effective as a horror story and the music really pulled it together. It was so cool to have everyone be apart of the stories and it added so much to the story.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:23 pm

themorg wrote:Because it is always mentioned last i must Bo you did a great job on the art for this drabblecast. I knew i was in 1973 or 2025 because of the perfect font adaption. Mr. McNeal did a great Yule Brenner impersonation. Mr. Baker i felt you and i recorded our lines together to "enhance the customer experience." I thought the story was super effective as a horror story and the music really pulled it together. It was so cool to have everyone be apart of the stories and it added so much to the story.
:lol: And that was with my only exposure to Yul Brynner being The King And I. And I suppose I've probably seen The Ten Commandments once though I don't remember it. What can I say? Planet of the Apes had a better plot. ;) Well, better last lines anyway. "You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!"
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:10 pm

J.E., you were the meanest, coldest, deadliest pacifist this side of the Rio Grande!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:03 am

tbaker2500 wrote:J.E., you were the meanest, coldest, deadliest pacifist this side of the Rio Grande!
Thanks, man. :D
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:46 am

dreamrock wrote:Well, better last lines anyway. "You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!"
That is one of the greatest movie endings in cinematic history, regardless of genre.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

ejbman

Post by ejbman » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:57 am

tbaker2500 wrote:J.E., you were the meanest, coldest, deadliest pacifist this side of the Rio Grande!
I second that. Great acting/reading.
The Dribblecast: Beepin' Good.

Richmazzer

Post by Richmazzer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:34 pm

I thought this was great! The conclusion more than satisfied the great build up of part one. I've never seen West World but I loved the obvious tongue in cheek pandering to classic sci-fi movies and others in this story. So over the top it had to be written with drabblecast in mind. Selena/Kyle is catwoman right? Then there was the obvious from Jurassic Park to really any adventure movie where anyone has to go save someone from a disillusioned villain, which is pretty much all of them. The mixing of soundtracks was a great idea to enhance this effect. And o man were the sound effects fun.The voice acting was pretty darn good considering the story was cast from regular old forum folk. Lots of talent on this board.

The only thing that I would have liked would have been for Selena, Kyle and the cowboy to have done something that mattered at the end. Basically, Kyle's grandpa turned on the zombies and they eat Ben's brains like zombies are oft known to do. The ending would have happened the same regardless of if everyone just stayed at home and the cowboy wasn't turned on at all.

Can't get 'Here Comes Phantom Clause' out of my head. How hilarious is it to have the premise of your vengeful ghost/ sinister monster based around possible paperwork errors.

swamp

Post by swamp » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:00 am

I would just like to offer a loud and long applause to Norm for these episodes. Not just because he invited me along for a small part , but more becuase I honestly do "appreciate the crap-load of time and effort that went into it". It makes me proud that I donated to the podcast last month and have now set up a monthly pay schedule (yeah, I know, it took me long enough). Thanks Norm, for all of the hard work you put into this podcast week in and week out.

DKT

Post by DKT » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:35 am

Hey all - just wanted to say thanks to Norm for running our story and for all the hard work he put into this killer production. Many thanks also to all the DC foumites who volunteered to read it and did a great job doing so - it was especially awesome to hear people within the DC community reading this one.

And, of course, thanks to everyone who took the time to listen :)

ejbman

Post by ejbman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:17 am

Mirroring what swamp and DKT said - Norm is awesome. He does a fantastic job week after week. DC is one of the best-produced podcasts out there, hands down, and that's not even counting the awesome content. Excellent work Mr. Sherman.
The Dribblecast: Beepin' Good.

Gruntled

Post by Gruntled » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:01 am

Hi Drabblecast,
This was a wonderful story with cool voice talent but the audio production was so FRACKN cool. The bed music and effects were well balanced and really helped to drive the story along for me.

But hell it was such an entertaining story anyway a solo read would have floated my boat.

G

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:05 am

aww thanks guys! Yah, I pulled an all-nighter Thursday working on this one, but a lot of that has to do with how fun it is making and dubbing in violent zombie explosion noises. Definitely the most comprehensive production we've had so far as far as having other people involved. There are also plenty more forum people I wanted to get involved but didn't have characters to voice for in this one. Several mental notes going for future stories though! I'd say that being involved in Dribblecast definitely helps showcase what you can do, how your gear sounds, etc. I love Dribblecast-- what a brilliant, learn in the field opportunity for podcasting!

Anyways, I hope people not involved in the story enjoyed it too! Feel free to say so if you didn't though, offering any constructive criticism-- that's what the discussion forums are for and nobody will ever come down on you for your opinion!
"Give us all some Jelly"

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:59 pm

I loved the Phantom Clause song at the beginning, especially the line about "stygian flame" which had me laughing out loud at home depot while I was searching for a putty knife (not to mortar a friend into a corner of my wine cellar, of course, because that would be weird)

The rest of the story was good, though I have to say I sort of agree with Richmazzer that it would've been nice if Kyle's efforts had had some noticeable effect. I liked how this story went into the motivations of the cowboy and of Ben. Was anyone else expecting Selena to turn out to be an android too? (Wait, would that be a gynoid? That just sounds like a medical condition...)

To add one movie/book reference that Richmazzer missed, I'd like to point out Blaine the monorail's cameo from Stephen King's Dark Tower series. That can't have been a coincidence in naming. I was waiting for the train to come alive and start asking them riddles.