Drabblecast 186 - Garkain

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 186 - Garkain

Post by Kevin Anderson » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:02 pm

Drabble- Turning to Stone
by Steven Saus

Drabblecast 186- Garkain
by Samantha Henderson

His home is in the dense jungle along the banks of the Liverpool River. Should anyone venture into that jungle Garkain, who can fly as well as walk, will wrap himself around the intruder, and smother him with the loose folds of skin which are attached to his arms and legs.
—Charles P. Mountford, The First Sunrise, 1971

Art by Jerel Dye
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

TheBori

Re: Drabblecast 186- Garkain by Samantha Henderson

Post by TheBori » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:38 pm

I usually try to avoid posting about the stories I've narrated, but only having seen a portion of the text prior to listening I felt I had some wiggle room.
First off...creepy story. I liked the setting, the style and perspective. A perfect fit for the Drabblecast.
What sets this, and most of the Drabblecasts, apart from the other excellent stories on, for example, StarshipSofa and EscapePod, is the post production work. The music and effects that accompany the story are fantastic. I don't know how Norm does it...it must take hours...but the emotion that is generated by the background music is both subtle and undeniable. It sets this podcast apart.
Great story, great post-production and excellent narration by Graeme and Delianna. It's a pleasure to work with such fine artists (even remotely).
Keep up the good fight Norm.

Mike
http://www.MikeBorisAudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HPHovercraft

Post by HPHovercraft » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:09 am

I have come to say one thing, and one thing only: Garkain vs. Drop Bear -- Drop Bear wins. 'Nuff said.

//Never forget the Vegemite in Drop Bear country.

Polecat

Post by Polecat » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:00 pm

This story left me confused - repeated listening has only confused me further. As usual, the production sounded excellent, but I have no clue (to paraphrase the immortal Alfie) what its all about.
Can someone please enlighten me?

Respectfully,

The Polecat

ZuSquared

Post by ZuSquared » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:15 pm

Quite hard to follow. I imagine this is the kind of story that's easier to read, rather than listen to.

I did enjoy it though. Very atmospheric and a great cast.

Etaan

Post by Etaan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:23 pm

I'm going to listen again before really getting into commenting. Just thought I'd pop in and say that I'm glad that Norm has decided to transition the H.P. Lovecraft marathon straight into Mary Shelley month.

Very dark, kind of confusing, loved the accents.
"Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
"That is an excellent practice. But right now I'd suggest you concentrate on the Jabberwocky."

B. asahinai

Post by B. asahinai » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:11 pm

Hello. Long time listener, first time writing.

I liked this one. I was confused, no doubt but I sort of liked how the information was given to you in little scraps and pieces and the monster remained vague and mysterious at the end. It seemed sort of like an investigative documentary on a cold case. Also, I loved the didgeridoo music. Very creepy.

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:40 am

I. Loved. It.

Abolsutely everything was on form for this episode; the lead in, the drabble, the story, its delivery and music. Everything.

As an Englishman living in Aus I've taken to the local weird folklore as only an outsider can, and this story really fits in with the 'real' stuff nicely.

Possibly a contender for story of the year.
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

Etaan

Post by Etaan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:48 pm

Mikes wrote:As an Englishman living in Aus I've taken to the local weird folklore as only an outsider can, and this story really fits in with the 'real' stuff nicely.
This story really did have a fantastic authenticity to it. The attention to little details was such a throwback to classical literature. A heavy dose of horror without much suspense usually isn't my bag, but once I got my head wrapped around the story I really, really enjoyed this.

I love how much of an effect second listens have on so many of the Drabblecast's stories. I'm peeved at myself for not doing it more often while I was crushing through the archives. So many details jumped out at me, like the connection between the missing historian being sighted with a mouthful of bottom teeth and empty upper gums and the doctor's diagnosis of the castaway having scurvy based on his dental condition.

The only thing I still don't understand is how the historian got marked for transformation in the first place. It wasn't like she was out in the brush where the Garkain lives - she was poking around in a museum's archives. Thoughts?
"Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
"That is an excellent practice. But right now I'd suggest you concentrate on the Jabberwocky."

Beth Peters

Post by Beth Peters » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:18 pm

Etaan wrote:
Mikes wrote:As an Englishman living in Aus I've taken to the local weird folklore as only an outsider can, and this story really fits in with the 'real' stuff nicely.
This story really did have a fantastic authenticity to it. The attention to little details was such a throwback to classical literature. A heavy dose of horror without much suspense usually isn't my bag, but once I got my head wrapped around the story I really, really enjoyed this.

I love how much of an effect second listens have on so many of the Drabblecast's stories. I'm peeved at myself for not doing it more often while I was crushing through the archives. So many details jumped out at me, like the connection between the missing historian being sighted with a mouthful of bottom teeth and empty upper gums and the doctor's diagnosis of the castaway having scurvy based on his dental condition.

The only thing I still don't understand is how the historian got marked for transformation in the first place. It wasn't like she was out in the brush where the Garkain lives - she was poking around in a museum's archives. Thoughts?

I probably need a second listen also, and that's a good point about Drabblecast second listens in general. I do usually pick up a lot of nuances and cool secondary connections whenever I do.

This story, like Samantha Henderson's last offering, The Red Bride, really required an investment of attention to follow. I found myself really engaged during the beginning third, drifting a bit in the middle and then at the end going "Wait, what?!" and backing up on my player. I think it's the historian section that needs a focused ear and also has the most clues. I like how what you first think is a deadly garkain attack turns out to be a transformation instead.
A Jetson Your Llama! I never said that it was a Mexican McDonalds!

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:40 pm

I had a little trouble following this one too, and never really got into it, I think due to the many POV changes, every time I felt like I was about to settle in, the rug was pulled out from under me again.

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:23 am

Yeah, it was hard to become too invested in the story because of all the POV changes. I think that's part of why it was somewhat difficult to follow. And I couldn't get too creeped out about bad things happening to people I hardly knew and didn't really care about. I thought it was very well read though and there were a few bits that I found really intriguing. When the guy says he's been walking the river bottom... what does that mean? Maybe it's just some figure of speech I'm unfamiliar with? The image this phrase puts in my mind is surreal and a little creepy. I wish the story had gone into this more, but maybe it would ruin that weird image if it had.

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:31 am

Lucid wrote:When the guy says he's been walking the river bottom... what does that mean? Maybe it's just some figure of speech I'm unfamiliar with?
It can get very dry down here in parts and rivers don't always have water in them.

In fact there's a regatta somewhere where the boats are moved by being carried.

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:43 am

Damn. Things are always way cooler when they are misunderstood or misheard it seems. :)

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:12 pm

Lucid wrote:Damn. Things are always way cooler when they are misunderstood or misheard it seems. :)
Ha, yeah, that phrase brings to mind something much cooler, picturing a man walking on the bottom of a river, the violent current pulling his hair, but somehow he is walking along oblivious to the current or to buoyancy. :)

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:57 am

Yes, that's very close to what popped into my mind. For me it's a guy on the bottom of a river walking as if in a trance, with no need of oxygen. And moving very slowly because of the buoyancy and the resistance of the water. Which brings up several questions... most notably, why doesn't he need to breathe? What's he going toward or away from? Why is he walking on the bottom of a river instead of alongside it?

Samantha

Post by Samantha » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:12 am

For me it's a guy on the bottom of a river walking as if in a trance, with no need of oxygen. And moving very slowly because of the buoyancy and the resistance of the water. Which brings up several questions... most notably, why doesn't he need to breathe? What's he going toward or away from? Why is he walking on the bottom of a river instead of alongside it?
Shoot, now I want to write this story.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:56 am

Samantha wrote:
For me it's a guy on the bottom of a river walking as if in a trance, with no need of oxygen. And moving very slowly because of the buoyancy and the resistance of the water. Which brings up several questions... most notably, why doesn't he need to breathe? What's he going toward or away from? Why is he walking on the bottom of a river instead of alongside it?
Shoot, now I want to write this story.
Welcome to the forums. <hands you a pen and a ream of paper>

Go for it. I'll give it a listen.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:16 am

Samantha wrote:Shoot, now I want to write this story.
Have at it. There's plenty of story to go around. :) If I do end up writing this one it'll be interesting to see how yours turns out different. Depends on if I can come up with anything other than that image and those questions.

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:54 am

Lucid wrote:For me it's a guy on the bottom of a river walking as if in a trance, with no need of oxygen. And moving very slowly because of the buoyancy and the resistance of the water. Which brings up several questions... most notably, why doesn't he need to breathe?
He may not need to breath. but he'd certainly need a periscope. The rivers are bloody muddy.