Drabblecast 186 - Garkain

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Samantha

Re: Drabblecast 186- Garkain by Samantha Henderson

Post by Samantha » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:25 pm

Have at it. There's plenty of story to go around. If I do end up writing this one it'll be interesting to see how yours turns out different. Depends on if I can come up with anything other than that image and those questions.
We should each write half, then switch!

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:40 pm

If someone wrote the river-walker story I would totally read it. It sounds really neat. :)

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:48 am

Mikes wrote:He may not need to breath. but he'd certainly need a periscope. The rivers are bloody muddy.
Actually, that might make it creepier.
Samantha wrote:
Have at it. There's plenty of story to go around. If I do end up writing this one it'll be interesting to see how yours turns out different. Depends on if I can come up with anything other than that image and those questions.
We should each write half, then switch!
I like this suggestion, but I fear commitment. :D
I'm notorious for starting a story and getting about halfway through before it stillbirths on me.

Samantha

Post by Samantha » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:19 am

I like this suggestion, but I fear commitment.
I'm notorious for starting a story and getting about halfway through before it stillbirths on me.
Well then, you should start one and I'll finish it! :wink:

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:24 am

You know... that's a good idea. You're on! May take me a few days though :)

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:29 pm

I detest it when people finish my sentences for me, and here you two are making a pact to do it. This may be the start of a weird-ass symbiotic relationship. You be the chicken; I'll be the egg. You be the ring-wasp. I'll be the caterpiller. Oy.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

SeldonCrisis

Post by SeldonCrisis » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:18 am

Another outstanding episode.

Delianne Forget is elbowing Steve Eley out of the number two position in my top 10 list of audiofiction voices for her amazing ability to become each character she plays.

Though it was not just Delianne that made this episode great--as always, excellent production, and great narration by the other characters as well. And I can't leave out Samantha Henderson's writing! I look forward to listening to this episode again so I can catch all the little details. That's the mark of a good story!

Y'all (and by y'all I mean all y'all--everyone involved in making this episode) are fan-freaking-tastic at what you do! Keep up the good work.

Samantha

Post by Samantha » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:20 am

You know... that's a good idea. You're on! May take me a few days though :)
Kewl! My email is samantha.henderson@gmail.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. 8)

Richmazzer

Post by Richmazzer » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:43 am

That was a really great episode. I thought the story was fantastic and yes, the voice actors and Norm's production were just phenomenal. I thought what Norm mentioned in the outro about it being about how the land transformed them hit the nail on the head (literally was like, yes! when he said that) because I think some aspects of the Garkain demon are meant to be left unknown in this mystery, but that one but is the common element.

To Etan I think, who asked about the 1980 story... the common element is the spear tip that she was studying. Evidently she was cut by it, or coming in contact with it was enough. Either way, it was a piece of the myth that was carried into the future and made an effect. Very chilling image of her hanging upside down with bat teeth, especially after all that dry science-speak, I thought that was a particularly well-placed image.

Samantha

Post by Samantha » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:58 pm

I'd like to thank everyone for their reponses to the story, whether you liked "Garkain" or not. I'm always stunned by the fantastic production values of the podcasts on Drabblecast, and would've thought nothing could have topped "The Red Bride," but "Garkain" flat out amazed me - actors, sound and music.

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:37 am

Lucid wrote:
Mikes wrote:He may not need to breath. but he'd certainly need a periscope. The rivers are bloody muddy.
Actually, that might make it creepier.
I should really point out that 'bloody' in this case means 'very', and does not mean the rivers of Australia run dark with blood. Apart from when the crocs catch the German tourists (it's always the Germans) off guard.

Unless of course it adds to your story, so then go nuts!
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:05 am

I know - I was making a joke :)

Although, I admit I did sort of assume that the rivers of Australia ran red with the blood of tourists. You're telling me that they don't??

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:08 am

We say they don't to get people to visit and then we feed their bodies to our young. But we sent Carrie Fisher back. Because she hasn't aged well.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:02 am

Thank ye for the promo. Gave me a rather significant bump in my stats after it appeared.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Travelin Corpse Feet

Post by Travelin Corpse Feet » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:34 pm

I guess I'm just not a fan of this stories told in pieces method. "The Red Bride" didn't really do much for me either. There's a creepy vibe in this but being told in jigsaw makes it feel like it's the notes to some longer story.
A story of love, lust and violence and a man in a jam.

'"Well, Here I Am" My blogogna.

My Twitter feed, Scribblepodium, is good for a laugh or a cry.

Mikes

Re: Drabblecast 186 - Garkain

Post by Mikes » Fri May 11, 2012 5:26 am

I'm re listening to a few old episodes and gave this one aother run through yesterday and it still hits the spot. It did not help that I had to go out the back of my in laws property last night with a flashlight looking for a few planks of wood and something big takes flight from a group of trees. Birds don't fly at night was my first thought, followed closely by This is how horror films start...

Good stuff.

Travelin Corpse Feet

Post by Travelin Corpse Feet » Fri May 11, 2012 11:42 pm

Mikes wrote:I'm re listening to a few old episodes and gave this one aother run through yesterday and it still hits the spot. It did not help that I had to go out the back of my in laws property last night with a flashlight looking for a few planks of wood and something big takes flight from a group of trees. Birds don't fly at night was my first thought, followed closely by This is how horror films start...

Good stuff.
Probably the only reason your name isn't on a police blotter right now was that you had the sense not to say something like "Guys, come on this isn't funny!"
A story of love, lust and violence and a man in a jam.

'"Well, Here I Am" My blogogna.

My Twitter feed, Scribblepodium, is good for a laugh or a cry.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Sat May 12, 2012 2:24 am

Mikes wrote:I'm re listening to a few old episodes and gave this one aother run through yesterday and it still hits the spot. It did not help that I had to go out the back of my in laws property last night with a flashlight looking for a few planks of wood and something big takes flight from a group of trees. Birds don't fly at night was my first thought, followed closely by This is how horror films start...

Good stuff.
I highly recommend trips down memory lane - it's a beautified sector of the Drabble'landscape. Lots of cool new DARP covers, with more popping in every week (I just finished two, uploaded 3 more). Plus we're adding in show notes and clickable key words (zombie, crime, delusions, monsters, etc etc), slowly but surely we'll complete our 250 episode back catalog, with each entry tagged, flagged, and bagged. Be a retronaut, see for yourself, we're open during contruction!

I loved Garkain, being a horror nut. There are three podcasts (counting only podcasts 100 eps and older), of which I've heard every installment. Pseudopod is one of them. If something has the' trappings' of a horror short, I'm thoroughly trapped.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Sun May 13, 2012 11:57 pm

Travelin Corpse Feet wrote:Probably the only reason your name isn't on a police blotter right now was that you had the sense not to say something like "Guys, come on this isn't funny!"
I'd bet money the only reason I'm alive today is the catalogue of horror films dos and don'ts I carry around in my mind.