Drabblecast 187 - Doubleheader VII

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
tbaker2500
Site Admin

Drabblecast 187 - Doubleheader VII

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:54 pm

Drabblecast 187 - Doubleheader VII: A Fool’s Death, Pidgin by Lawrence M. Schoen

The escalator ascends, carting our entire troupe up the side of the volcano, each of its ten thousand grooved steps carved from local obsidian. The handler from Fools' Death is a thin man with too much cologne. He’s a mime, a fairly high rank in the FD necrocracy, but I guess they don’t take chances with volcanoes...

Inflatable Weapons of War
Lawrence M. Schoen
Phil Rossi's Crescent
Nathan Lee's Mirrorshards
Art by Brent Holmes
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Mikes

Re: Drabblecast 187- Doubleheader VII: A Fool’s Death, Pidgi

Post by Mikes » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:08 pm

No comments? I'm surprised, Death fo Fool was good, not stellar, but Pidgen had me in stitches
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:43 am

Pidgen reminded me of every crappy customer service job I ever had. The only difference between the alien in the story who didn't know what language he was speaking, didn't know what he wanted or what kind of store he was in and got mad when the clerk tried to help him and the majority of the populace was the blue tentacles.

I actually had a similar experience to this, except the guy said he had bugs in his hair and I was trying to tell him that we cashed checks and sold money orders. Not... whatever he thought happened if you walk into a business and announce that you have bugs in your hair. He even had the woman waiting in line behind him translate for him because he thought there was some kind of language barrier. Him: "I have bugs in my hair." His reluctant translator: "He has bugs in his hair."
If only he'd just wanted fruit.

Death of a Fool was interesting. I had a lot of unanswered questions about who the protagonist was and why he was throwing himself into a volcano. But I'm not sure the answers to those questions were necessary to enjoy the story, which I did.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:11 pm

Mikes wrote:No comments? I'm surprised, Death fo Fool was good, not stellar, but Pidgen had me in stitches
Must be the crazy turkey holidays! 187 and 188 seem to have slipped through the pods. 189's bout to be up, in case anyone's paying attention ;)
"Give us all some Jelly"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:25 pm

We're all paying attention. It's just a crazy busy time of year, no time to try and craft a response to a story which makes you appear intelligent and well educated, while gently nitpicking on several things that the author did wrong to show your superiority, but not so much as to offend the author, since they do show up every once and a while.

Pidgin was very fun, Fool's death was a a little abstract but still fun.

(How was that?)

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:27 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:We're all paying attention. It's just a crazy busy time of year, no time to try and craft a response to a story which makes you appear intelligent and well educated, while gently nitpicking on several things that the author did wrong to show your superiority, but not so much as to offend the author, since they do show up every once and a while.

Pidgin was very fun, Fool's death was a a little abstract but still fun.

(How was that?)
Well that's one of the more well thought out replies I've read in this thread, however I did not some elementary errors in the prose and grammar which should really have been caught in the edit. I do, however, look forward to reading more replies from the forum member.

(How was that?)

:wink:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Is it thanksgiving already? I lived in Canada for a few years and loved that time of year, but the Canadian and US holidays being so close together but separate always threw me.

Anyway, yeah, shame because this episode was great. I hope people get to listen to this when they're done digesting.
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:37 am

Mikes wrote:Well that's one of the more well thought out replies I've read in this thread, however I did not some elementary errors...
Man, it's embarrassing when a critique of grammar is spelt wrong. :-)

Yea, Turkey day and Xmas are pretty well run together.

Wait, Canada celebrates Thanksgiving? Huh.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:36 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
Mikes wrote:Well that's one of the more well thought out replies I've read in this thread, however I did not some elementary errors...
Man, it's embarrassing when a critique of grammar is spelt wrong. :-)

Yea, Turkey day and Xmas are pretty well run together.

Wait, Canada celebrates Thanksgiving? Huh.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_%28Canada%29
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:51 am

Well, cool! Learn something old every day.

Etaan

Post by Etaan » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:31 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Well, cool! Learn something old every day.
Sort of felt that way during Pidgin. Took about 20 seconds so see where it was going, but the delivery was great.

I was far more impressed with A Fool's Death once I heard the story behind it. I love the fact that even in the charity suicide business, the wealthy can find a way to one-up the rest of us. It was an entertaining little exercise, even though there are so many unanswered questions. The two that really stand out: Who would the character's death help and how? and What does "death by rogue iceberg" look like?
"Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
"That is an excellent practice. But right now I'd suggest you concentrate on the Jabberwocky."

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:50 pm

Lucid wrote: I actually had a similar experience to this, except the guy said he had bugs in his hair and I was trying to tell him that we cashed checks and sold money orders. Not... whatever he thought happened if you walk into a business and announce that you have bugs in your hair. He even had the woman waiting in line behind him translate for him because he thought there was some kind of language barrier. Him: "I have bugs in my hair." His reluctant translator: "He has bugs in his hair."
If only he'd just wanted fruit.
Maybe he was looking for lice-killing shampoo?

A Fool's Death was pretty good, and had a lot of cool imagery in it, though I wish I'd understood half of what was going on. I appreciated it much more when the origin of the story was revealed. :)

Pidgin was hilarious! I haven't worked in customer service since college, but this still seemed really familiar. It did well with its running joke, repeating it enough that it got a little funnier each time but didn't overstay its welcome. Very fun!

plum

Post by plum » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:35 am

Pidgin was fantastic. I love stories about every day scenarios construed in a weird interesting way. shop conflicts such as this one and the Baker's Dozen story that appeared in another double header special are awesome examples of a surreal moment in an otherwise boring job.