Drabblecast 195 - A Matter of Size

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
alhilton

Re: Drabblecast 195- A Matter of Size by Robert Jeschonek

Post by alhilton » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:28 am

moonowl wrote::headesk: Man I missed that totally! Great catch Abbie!
Without the point of reference, the story does seem gratuitous. I was sitting here scratching my head, thinking, why are people acting so blind-sided? But then I realized no one at all had mentioned Watchmen. Doesn't "Little Lord Fauntleroy" look just like a miniature Ozymandias in your head? :D
http://cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://panamindorah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:23 am

Yea, never seen/read/know anything about Watchmen.

Now the question is- Did Matthew or Norm get it?
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:57 am

tbaker2500 wrote:Yea, never seen/read/know anything about Watchmen.

Now the question is- Did Matthew or Norm get it?
I think it's a complex thing, seeing as how Watchmen was in a sense, a satire of super-heroism in it's own right, placing heroes in a credible 'real' world and having that clash with their public image. I saw the parallels in that regard but to call it a point-for-point parody of Watchmen, I think is not entirely accurate, IMO-- or at least I'll say, no Tom, that's not how I saw it originally. Whether of not it was a spoof of a spoof, I thought it stood on it's own two legs as well.
"Give us all some Jelly"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:24 am

Two tiny legs.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

DKT

Post by DKT » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:42 pm

I didn't (and still don't) see it a a parody or reaction to Watchmen, but I totally dig that others do.

One thing I absolutely loved about this story was the reversal of the classic superhero trope where a kid gains superman-esque powers (Captain Marvel/Shazam, Prime, etc.). Instead, we get a man who retreats to his child-like form, and I thought that was pretty brilliant. I'm not sure I've ever read anything before that does that.

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:20 am

normsherman wrote:I saw the parallels in that regard but to call it a point-for-point parody of Watchmen, I think is not entirely accurate
I agree that’s it not a blow-by-blow retelling. It wouldn’t be worth reading if it was. Besides, Watchmen is a huge thing, and this is just a little miniature. *snerk* Also, I do not know the super hero genre well enough to see other source material that he might be playing with. I saw this:

“Someone is killing supers! Who could it be? I will investigate the murders in tones of intensely dry humor. Oh, schnaps, the killer is one of our own! And, super-oh-noes, I am involved! My investigation leads me to truths I did not want to learn and cannot face! Finis.”

But there could be dozens of other well-known super hero plots weaving through this story, of which I am ignorant. It could also be that many of them are so similar that the one I know sounds like all of them. Jeschonek definitely doesn’t restrict himself to the themes of Watchmen. As Mike’s said, he’s subverting concepts of super-human masculinity in clever ways.
http://cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://panamindorah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:23 am

Speaking of Watchmen. Someone dared to posit the elephant in the room regarding the movie during all of the discussion among the fans after it's release.

Namely, that the changed ending in the movie actually made much more sense than the original graphic novel ending...

(And Tom, get thee to Netflix and rent the blu-ray version, as long as more than a little graphic comic ultra-violence won't turn your stomach too much...)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:57 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:Speaking of Watchmen. Someone dared to posit the elephant in the room regarding the movie during all of the discussion among the fans after it's release.

Namely, that the changed ending in the movie actually made much more sense than the original graphic novel ending...

(And Tom, get thee to Netflix and rent the blu-ray version, as long as more than a little graphic comic ultra-violence won't turn your stomach too much...)
posted where? I'd be interested. Giant tentacled abominations almost never lose out-- the ending of Watchmen being one of the few exceptions. I liked both endings for different reasons but Hollywood definitely took the prize there in the majority of considerations.
"Give us all some Jelly"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:38 pm

normsherman wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote:Speaking of Watchmen. Someone dared to posit the elephant in the room regarding the movie during all of the discussion among the fans after it's release.

posted where? I'd be interested. Giant tentacled abominations almost never lose out-- the ending of Watchmen being one of the few exceptions. I liked both endings for different reasons but Hollywood definitely took the prize there in the majority of considerations.
Hard to argue you're point regarding large tentacled abominations (at least without be branded a heretic...) I think you point may be that the giant tentacled abomination was more suited to the graphic novel, while the more "logical" ending of the movie suited that format. Also, hard to say anything bad about the original without being branded a heretic on the comic community, so I'm going to be a politician and waffle, ala Norm, on this point.

(p.s. Norm, I'll see if I can dig up that original link...)

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:40 pm

Norm, there you go.
http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/uhm ... ERS-ABOUND" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;