Classics 12 (EP 91) - Gifting Bliss

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Classics 12 (EP 91) - Gifting Bliss

Post by Kevin Anderson » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:34 pm

Update (Tuesday, December 2nd, 2014): Drabbleclassics 12 - Gifting Bliss: Fifteen Years Later, Jason Avery’s Magic is Still Saving the World
Feature: Gifting Bliss: Fifteen Years Later, Jason Avery’s Magic is Still Saving the World by Josh Rountree
No drabble for this episode.
Genres: Drabbleclassics Strange
Original Episode: 91
Warning: Several Instances of the F-Bomb

Wednesday, November 26th, 2008
"When I first met Jason he was sitting cross-legged in the middle of the studio, surrounded by burning candles. The air smelled like flowers and a sort of a fog hung in the room and I'm thinking- this dude is a little off..."

Episode Art: Kelly MacAvaney
Originally published in Can't Buy Me Faded Love (Wheatland Press), May 2008.

No twabble for this episode.
Last edited by Algernon Sydney is Dead on Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: It's now a classic!

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:37 pm

"The far side of weird" is a maleable boundary. The near side of weird would be This is Spinal Tap. The near side of weird is Bizarro World. All Norm has to do is find the near side of weird , then work his way around to the back door. Also, it seems to me he got tired of people complaining that they saw the twist coming. So now the twist comes BEFORE the story, so it can't be seen coming. In fact, now the twist sees YOU coming.
Leaves me feeling twisted.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

izzi

Post by izzi » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:06 am

Oh My God. I swear to god, this story was so good my arm fell off when i listened to it.

I loved it.
Word up.

Dayman aaAAAaaa fighter of the night man aaAAAaa!

-Dennis and Charlie

deflective

Post by deflective » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:18 am

very cool, a full production you only find at drabblecast.

Wonko

Post by Wonko » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:54 am

izzi wrote:Oh My God. I swear to god, this story was so good my arm fell off when i listened to it.
Fortunately, it grew back when the music parts played. :wink:

All in all, I liked this, but I'm gonna' have to listen to it again before I fully form that opinion, and exactly why.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Twitter::Facebook

izzi

Post by izzi » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:53 pm

Wonko wrote:Fortunately, it grew back when the music parts played. :wink:
yeah, the music was helpful in my arm re-growing quest
Word up.

Dayman aaAAAaaa fighter of the night man aaAAAaa!

-Dennis and Charlie

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:50 am

This story was really good. I too thought of Spinal Tap.

For all of that, I really felt for Jason. As another J-dude once said, 'the poor you will always have with you.' It doesn't matter how much you care, or how much magic you throw at society, all you do is create expectations rather than really fix anything for good.

I can just imagine Norm's eyes lighting up when he first read it. He's been wanting to do that for so long. How many of the songs were original? I caught the Sinead O'Connor reference, but I didn't recognise anything else.
It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:59 am

Ya- I was pretty stoked. They were all original except for the sinead o conner, which was just the last thing I imagined a metalhead ever wanting to cover. Oh yah, and 'Sasquatch Savior' is actually an old Tony Bennet tune

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:46 pm

wOw Norm, you really do rule. I loved how you put all the songs in there! Very very well done.

But... could you please stop calling me 'Zakka' on the air?!#%^&# That doesn't sound female at all! It makes me sound like a ... very fat Russian mobster. Give me my 'sh' back, otherwise I will no longer call you Master Sherman, kay.

Hugs and kisses,
Zasha ;P
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:24 pm

Well ill be durned- my bad! I've had a streak of mispronounced names lately. I should probably stop recording these shows half in the bag

jonathancg

Post by jonathancg » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:59 am

This was seriously over-the-top awesome. My hats off to the author and Norm.
Author of "On Dasher", "Old Clara's Favorites", and a host of other tales available online and in print. Check out my site at http://jonathancg.net

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:45 am

zZzacha wrote:wOw Norm, you really do rule. I loved how you put all the songs in there! Very very well done.

But... could you please stop calling me 'Zakka' on the air?!#%^&# That doesn't sound female at all! It makes me sound like a ... very fat Russian mobster. Give me my 'sh' back, otherwise I will no longer call you Master Sherman, kay.

Hugs and kisses,
Zasha ;P
Yeah! And next time don't forget to mention she has throat testicles! It really pisses her off when you forget that!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

tastycakes

Post by tastycakes » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:58 am

This is the most innovative DC that we've heard yet. And that's saying a hell of a lot. Spinal Tap is one of my favorite movies, and its about time VH1's "Behind The Music" started getting some spoof love too. Good job at emulating the narrator, Norm. I mean, fuck, what's greater than spoofing self-indulgent, boisterous musicians. I'm assuming since the podcast itself has broken the "F barrier" we can on the DC forums, too?

Norm, did you write the lyrics for the songs, or were they included in the submission?

*Ooops, just saw your response to Mr. Tweedy on that.*
One day he will look into what a ‘stigmata’ really is; for now, it is his trump card for getting out of work. He simply says ‘stigmata’ and they say ‘shit, hope you feel better soon.’ End of story.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:03 am

tastycakes wrote:*Ooops, just saw your response to Mr. Tweedy on that.*
Cammoblammo is deeply offended. :x

The rule is that you can say "fuck," but only twice per post. Otherwise your post will get an "R" rating and kids will will be barred from reading it. If you must say "fuck" more than twice in a post, you must bleep it, like this: F*ck. If you bleep it, it becomes harmless and okay to repeat as many times as you want. This is a per-post rule, so three times in a 10,000 word post is a no-no, but a series of consecutive posts that consist of nothing but the F-Bomb repeated twice in perfectly alright.

However, if you are quoting another poster, you must make sure to bleep all of their F-Bombs. Failure to do so will get you fined $250,000.

These rules make sense. Do not question them.
Advertise in this space!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:45 am

Haha, now that's what I call moderating
"Give us all some Jelly"

Kehama

Post by Kehama » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:04 pm

Nirvana? What?

Rather than thinking of Spinal Tap I kept thinking of a sci-fi/fantasy version of Nirvana. I mean, Gifting Bliss... Bliss is Nirvana... An angst filled early 90's guitar playing musician in a 3 man band creating a cult-like following. People treating the guy like he's a messiah and calling him the voice of a generation even though he's singing unintelligible songs about a mosquitoe and a beetle, or a sasquatch savior. Offing himself in the mid 90's because he felt like people just wanted the magic instead of understanding what he wanted them to take away from his music... I dunno. Maybe I'm just a product of the grunge years so I see everything as having some relation to Cobain. Another legacy of his magic.

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:24 pm

Kehama wrote:Nirvana? What?
I had the exact same grungy association! I kept relating the story back to Cobain, Nirvana, Smells Like Teen Spirit, the pressure from the Nirvana fans, etc. Even the lyrics seemed to 'fit' here and there.

And I must admit, I never heard of Spinal Tap. Must be because I wasn't really into semi-fictional heavy metal bands when I was 10.
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:26 pm

zZzacha wrote:
And I must admit, I never heard of Spinal Tap. Must be because I wasn't really into semi-fictional heavy metal bands when I was 10.
You just destroyed my view of Dutch chicks everywhere. I'm so disillusioned.
It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:49 pm

That was great. Cool story and the production was perfect. I'll have to listen again to catch all of the wacked-out songs. Loved the "Behind the Music" approach. The episode was well timed with the release of another wack-job's project. Right Axl?
Raise your fists and scream "black smut"!

G. E. Lee

Post by G. E. Lee » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:26 pm

Rather than thinking of Spinal Tap I kept thinking of a sci-fi/fantasy version of Nirvana. I mean, Gifting Bliss... Bliss is Nirvana... An angst filled early 90's guitar playing musician in a 3 man band creating a cult-like following. People treating the guy like he's a messiah and calling him the voice of a generation even though he's singing unintelligible songs about a mosquitoe and a beetle, or a sasquatch savior. Offing himself in the mid 90's because he felt like people just wanted the magic instead of understanding what he wanted them to take away from his music... I dunno. Maybe I'm just a product of the grunge years so I see everything as having some relation to Cobain. Another legacy of his magic.
I definatley made a 'Nirvana' connection too, more so than Spinal Tap. The songs, I thought, had a very 'grunge' feel. Of course, that was prime time for me. I was a senior in HS when Cobain made his exit. By the way, that Yeti song would make a f*cking great Bardle. I need to check with Mrs. Gelee and see how she feels about making a contribution...
Kudos on the production. It was a good f*cking story, but the production values were absolutely fantastic and really made this episode pop. I loved "Machio's House." Hell, I'd be surprised if A&E didn't already have it lined the f*ck up.
mogera robusta