Drabblecast 201 - Trifecta XV

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 201 - Trifecta XV

Post by StalinSays » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:29 am

Feature: Fiddleback Ferns by Sarah Monette
Feature: Killipedes by Jens Rushing
Feature: The Difficulties of Evolution by Karen Hueler

Thursday, March 10, 2011
Warning: Episode contains one instance of the F-bomb

Christiana Ellis
Tina Connoly
Art by Alyssa Suzumura
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Re: Drabblecast 201 - Trifecta XV

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:45 am

Doesn't this mean that episode 201 is REALLY the one true episode 200?
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:07 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:Doesn't this mean that episode 201 is REALLY the one true episode 200?
No. Don't you understand quantum physics?
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:12 pm

Nice Trifecta!

Ferns I didn't fully get, I'll have to listen to again.

Killipedes was fun, and all too true sometimes. The characters were well represented.

Evolution was a fun metaphor, one obvious enough for even me to get. I felt it got way to slow towards the perceived ending... and then the twist. I have to admit I did not see that coming. It was a great way to end the story!

Travelin Corpse Feet

Post by Travelin Corpse Feet » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:18 am

Not bad, but nothing that really left me wanting more. "Fiddleback Ferns" and "The Difficulties of Evolution" just didn't strike a chord in me. maybe once I'm a mother they will.

(Well, actually that'd require some serious advances in gender reassignment surgery and uterus transplants and so forth. I suppose I could sire a few children over the next two or three years and then have a sex change, but I'd rather wait for the perfect uterus.)

Killipedes I was actually a little disappointed in. Awesome name, and it's cute, but I think it could have been microfiction and still been the same story. Also, it had an awesome name. Yeah, I said that twice. Deal with it. 8)
A story of love, lust and violence and a man in a jam.

'"Well, Here I Am" My blogogna.

My Twitter feed, Scribblepodium, is good for a laugh or a cry.

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:26 am

I loved the second story (you'll have to excuse me, as I get older I find I take notice of titles less and less. I suppose when I'm a grandfather I'll just have to assign numbers based on preference to my grandchildren), and the first was competant and entertaining if not stand out. But I could not finish the third. Since becoming a parent anything where a child is in distress is a major turn off for me so I skipped it with ten minutes to go (thanks again guys for the chapter feature).
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

Polecat

Post by Polecat » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:31 pm

tbaker2500 wrote: No. Don't you understand quantum physics?
Absolutely not, aliens, though, are another matter...

Though not generally a Trifecta enthusiast (I like a little more time for development in a story than the trifecta or double headre allows), I am prepared, after careful consideration, to make an exception here and be lavish with my praise. I enjoyed all 3 stories, although "Evolution" has me a little confused as to the precise storyline. Killipedes caused me to grin - I used to be acquainted with several microbiologists who were very reminiscent of the "Doctor" (and they were of both sexes - emotional myopia is not gender-specific). I, too, found "Fiddleback Ferns" a trifle inconclusive, I was left wondering if the cloud of greasy smoke represented the end of the deadly spores, or merely their further transmission. And the most burning question of all is indubitably who inherited all those Barbie dolls?

respectfully,

The Polecat

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:40 pm

Killipedes was my favorite of the three. It reminded me a bit of Squidges, but a tad worse...

The doctor reminds me of a friend of mine.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Etaan

Post by Etaan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:14 pm

Um, I've listened to it twice and I still don't understand who Audrey is in the first story. Is the mom going crazy? If it was an allusion or something that was the key to understanding how that story was working on more than one level, it went completely over my head.

Killipedes was my favorite. The utter lack of empathy never got old. He was sharing fascinating information, and she had the gall to take absolutely no interest. I wasn't a huge fan of the ending, however. She didn't really commit to either a twist ending or a punch line, so it came off as a bit of a half-hearted mix. I was really convinced that he was going to see the expectant mom covered in killipedes as well and have it turn out that he was simply off his rocker the whole time.

My wife's reaction to the Trifecta: "All the men were completely useless."
"Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
"That is an excellent practice. But right now I'd suggest you concentrate on the Jabberwocky."

emily

Post by emily » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:42 am

Etaan wrote:Um, I've listened to it twice and I still don't understand who Audrey is in the first story. Is the mom going crazy? If it was an allusion or something that was the key to understanding how that story was working on more than one level, it went completely over my head.
Little Shop of Horrors reference? Audrey = evil plant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGRN39oifsE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:25 am

emily wrote: Little Shop of Horrors reference? Audrey = evil plant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGRN39oifsE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's how I read it.
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:52 am

I loved this one! I particularly enjoyed Killipedes - perhaps because I work with physicians.

Boy, Norm is really struggling to give birth to episode 200...as though it were an alien creature, clawing its way out of-- Well, anyway, can't wait to hear it! (sticky and slick with afterbirth)
http://cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://panamindorah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Etaan

Post by Etaan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:10 pm

Mikes wrote:
emily wrote: Little Shop of Horrors reference? Audrey = evil plant.

That's how I read it.
Wow, I completely forgot about that. He's so young!

*Moves to top of the Netflix queue.
"That is an excellent practice. But right now I'd suggest you concentrate on the Jabberwocky."

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:36 pm

Makes strawman remember the days he was a mere hayfield.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:00 am

strawman wrote:Makes strawman remember the days he was a mere hayfield.
:)

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Fiddleback Ferns was pretty good, I didn't get the Audrey reference. Little Shop of Horrors I have not seen (though I ought to).

Killipedes was awesome. Awesome name, hilarious narrator with his twisted point of view (I'm pretty sure I work with that guy), nice touch on the ending.

The Difficulties of Evolution was an interesting idea, would've been nice if they'd used a different word than "evolution" since that had nothing to do with their mutations. Since the story kept stressing how people of any age could mutate, I was expecting the mother to change from the very beginning. Once she did change, I thought the story kept going on a bit too long--after the mutation it seemed that there was not really any more ground to cover.

NoNotRogov

Post by NoNotRogov » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:41 am

The Difficulties of Evolution was, in my opinion, the best story of the lot objectively; but I cheated on my objectivity to have a disappointing three way with cold-fish Fiddleback Ferns and spicy meatball Killipedes before running away to Vegas with the latter, only to return back home to Difficulties of Evolution 72 hours later to beg for forgiveness at the doorstep.
All us perks who got our brains skew-fried, would carry inside till the day we true-died, a distributed web of spurting nerve gaps, that made us want to rhyme out our urb raps - RiboFunk, Paul Di Filippo

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:50 pm

NoNotRogov wrote:The Difficulties of Evolution was, in my opinion, the best story of the lot objectively; but I cheated on my objectivity to have a disappointing three way with cold-fish Fiddleback Ferns and spicy meatball Killipedes before running away to Vegas with the latter, only to return back home to Difficulties of Evolution 72 hours later to beg for forgiveness at the doorstep.
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Also, what happens with Killipedes is a miracle of life that you won't long survive anyway.

Etaan

Post by Etaan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:22 pm

Unblinking wrote: What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Also, what happens with Killipedes is a miracle of life that you won't long survive anyway.
I imagine that the doctor will die in a fascinating box jellyfish encounter.