Drabblecast 208 - Hokkaido Green

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 208 - Hokkaido Green

Post by StalinSays » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:16 am

Feature: Hokkaido Green by Aidan Doyle
Drabble: On the Inside by Kayla Bashe

Sunday, June 19, 2011
The sound of running water came from ahead. The trail emerged from the woods and he looked up at the side of a rocky hill. A narrow waterfall trickled down the side of the rock, splashing into a pool of water.

His father claimed the water here was the most amazing color he'd ever seen - a vivid blue-green he'd dubbed Hokkaido green...

Aidan Doyle
Drabblecast Art Reclamation Project
Sumi-e Painting
Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
Go the !#@% to Sleep

Art by Jerel Dye
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

strawman

Re: Drabblecast 207 - Hokkaido Green

Post by strawman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:35 am

Wonderful story with a kind of Studio Ghibli supernatural vibe. I love the idea that every choice represents a sacrifice of the alternative, although I haven't figured out the meaning of black and white images. Maybe it has to do with dreams being in black and white or color? I enjoy stories that raise such points, and invite us to listen and think again. This is definitely one of those.

I also think it's cool that cameras have memory chips.
I'm looking forward to the discussion here.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:31 pm

I enjoyed this story reasonably well. Was anyone else picturing the panda from Ranma 1/2 for the bear? Just me?

I was kind of expecting the bargain to go sour at the end, and the bear to not live up to the bargain, at which point the protagonist would go back and demand to know why, and the bear would say "What did you expect? I'm just a bear." :P

Interesting form of bargaining he had to do, and that the only reason he needs to bargain is because he was so intent on his job, but to get back the simple restaranteur hopes he has to give up his job, and indeed his only proficiency (It's a little hard to be a camera developer if you can not use a camera). Very interesting dilemma to give up his visual memories of his family for the taste memories of his family. I think he made a good choice given the circumstances though; given the chioce between dwelling on the family he should've spent more time with and lingering over their photos, he bargains to acquire their recipe to make them live on, to truly memorialize them, and giving himself what his father would've wanted to give him--the choice to take a day off when he pleases.

Scattercat

Post by Scattercat » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:28 pm

This story was excellent, and very much captured that sort of "cherry blossoms in spring" element that is so much a part of Japanese art and art history. It's a tricky thing to accomplish; I think the fact that the deal never "went south" is an important part of the success. The deal was made, the deal has consequences, and living with them is the next thing that happens (and the only thing that can happen). This is a story that invites you to sit and think about things for a while, preferably with a hot drink of some kind.

moonowl

Re: Drabblecast 208 - Hokkaido Green

Post by moonowl » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:36 am

Loved it! Minus I really wanted those noodles.

The artwork was lovely and I really appreciated the artist notes.

Did you hear me squee and shout over the intro, Norm? :D :D :D :D

(Kisses Conor photo above bed)
You can't keep a soul in a box. You gotta wear it proud. It's gotta be yours, not someone else's. -Sing

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:53 am

Unblinking wrote: I think he made a good choice given the circumstances though; given the chioce between dwelling on the family he should've spent more time with and lingering over their photos, he bargains to acquire their recipe to make them live on, to truly memorialize them, and giving himself what his father would've wanted to give him--the choice to take a day off when he pleases.
My thoughts exactly. It was a very heartwarming story and I'm surprised I liked it, given I don't usually go for stories based around Japanese mythos.

And a new 'In Search Of...' heading to Kenya? Awesome. Maybe they'll run into the guy who making ll those spam messages.
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:29 am

He might turn out to be a lost Hormel sales manager gone Kurtz.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:28 pm

This was a excellent episode. The best quote was "Give your father a hug. He's been like a dad to you all these years."

This definitely had a Studio Ghibli vibe, and that's far from a bad thing. And yes, I certainly did think of Ranma.

This story benefitted greatly from Norm's touch. The music, artwork and production did so much to create atmosphere.

And yay! to Connor! It's about Thyme.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

El Barto

Post by El Barto » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:36 pm

I'm glad other people really liked this episode, but I didn't really dig it. Stories where magic play such a central role don't usually do it for me. In this case, was the bear supposed to be a god who controlled all cameras in the world?

I'm not sure I can explain why it didn't bother me that the bear could understand English and type text messages. That seemed reasonable to me, which is strange, I know. (Hey, I'm a Strange Listener, what can I say?)

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:20 pm

El Barto wrote:I'm glad other people really liked this episode, but I didn't really dig it. Stories where magic play such a central role don't usually do it for me. In this case, was the bear supposed to be a god who controlled all cameras in the world?

I'm not sure I can explain why it didn't bother me that the bear could understand English and type text messages. That seemed reasonable to me, which is strange, I know. (Hey, I'm a Strange Listener, what can I say?)
I took the bear to be like an animal Totem. I'm not well-versed in Japanese folklore, so I'd be interested to hear from someone who is, how this bear might be viewed.

In any case, I didn't see the bear as having control of all cameras in the world, only one who is able to make small localized deals. It is able to pull the magic recipe from the air, and as a price is able to imbue the protagonist with an aura of techno-interference. The camera's aren't different, it's the guy that is affecting the camera's with his presence.