Drabblecast 210 - Alphabet Quartet - Trifecta XVII

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 210 - Alphabet Quartet - Trifecta XVII

Post by StalinSays » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:39 pm

Feature: P is for Parade
Feature: F is for Forever
Feature: C is for Crate
by by Tim Pratt, Heather Shaw, Greg van Eekout and Jen Reese

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

In Search of the Brain-Eating Nandi Bear Part II
Escape Artists
Preservation Blues Band
Art by Matthew Schindler
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Unblinking

Re: Drabblecast 210 - Alphabet Quartet - Trifecta XVII

Post by Unblinking » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:17 pm

"P is for Parade"--like a phantasmagoria of weirdnesses, very original. Certainly interesting, but not a lot happens. Memorable, but not one of my favorites.

"F is for Forever"--cute, but not very original. I've heard people say that watching "Barney" is a form of hell for something like 20 years. And apparently Red Sox fans have already had hell on earth for decades!!

"C is for Crate"--I heard this one over on Escape Pod. Not bad. It gets extra points for subverting expectations, as I was expecting a Pandora's Box.

Polecat

Post by Polecat » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:42 pm

Generally I prefer longer stories - the very short form necessary for a trifecta ingredient means theres not a lot of room for development either of plot or character. Both P is for Parade and F is for Forever were amusing little vignettes - I like the idea of a farting marching band with the fire service in tow to prevent accidents, and the fact that you can´t leave hell because you will be put endlessly on hold whilst trying to telephone heaven is quite like life, really.
C is for crate, however, was what I needed to hear this week - "You can't give away dreams, it turns out. You can only share them" and "Open the damn crate" may be bland tritenesses, but there are days when such trite blandnesses are uncommonly helpful.
Thanks Norm

The Polecat

Richmazzer

Post by Richmazzer » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:52 pm

"I know it's a vagina, don't you think I've seen photographs? What's it doing between her legs is what I want to know!"
This one had me cracking up, Norm really is a comic genius. So glad to have Connor back. Douché, Mr. Choadsworth, douché.

The stories weren't really my bag, so to speak. Parade was fun, the other two were ok.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:43 am

Ah, Connor. So nice to have you back. And great job Boris on the cameo.

What is it with Tim Pratt and alphabets? I bet I know what his favorite soup is.

P was.... ..... .... indecipherable.
F was fun, I liked it.
C was awesome. It really took a different tact to an old premise.

Great job, guys!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

NoNotRogov

Post by NoNotRogov » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:19 pm

"Parade" fit on here so well, in both length and subject matter it is very nearly a Drabble. It is weird (the body horror nightmare fuel inducing future reminds me of beastiology from the other dimension in John Dies At The End) and very short - the essence of Drabblecastiness.
All us perks who got our brains skew-fried, would carry inside till the day we true-died, a distributed web of spurting nerve gaps, that made us want to rhyme out our urb raps - RiboFunk, Paul Di Filippo

Travelin Corpse Feet

Post by Travelin Corpse Feet » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:10 pm

Just goes to show you that no matter how things change, parades stay pretty much the same.

What? How do they do it in your town?
A story of love, lust and violence and a man in a jam.

'"Well, Here I Am" My blogogna.

My Twitter feed, Scribblepodium, is good for a laugh or a cry.