Drabblecast 212 - Ancient Engines

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
strawman

Re: Drabblecast 212 - Ancient Engines

Post by strawman » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:25 pm

All my happy bells and whistles are chiming and blowing. I feel as though I owe you some nonsense change. You cite the Lapps, who practice reindeer husbandry. Are you sure that's not the FLDS?
And...
Do you suppose Lapps dance?

You may have misunderestimated my neologism, however. How else to account for the fact that people who look for racism and homophobia (the fear of mankind?! O for god's sake!)find it everywhere? McCarthy looked for Communists and, sure enough, there they were! To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Otherwise, that stuff about Jesus appearing miraculously on a piece of toast sounds slightly implausible. Do those people ever get discouraged? No!

That's what I'm talking about.
Which is very good news indeed for Connor Choadsworth and Drabblenews, to name two.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Polecat

Post by Polecat » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:00 pm

strawman wrote: Do you suppose Lapps dance?
Aren´t you thinking of Poles?

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:39 pm

Everybody Pole dances these days. But Lapp dances are a whole different thing.

Spoiler:

Kibitzer

Post by Kibitzer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:51 am

Hey, where'd the thread go??
Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice.

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:35 pm

[Announcer Man] This thread has been deraaaiiiled[/Announcer Man]

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:44 pm

Wha?...Oh, THAT thread! :lol:

Spoiler:

Polecat

Post by Polecat » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:53 am

Sorry, Chaps

Kibitzer

Post by Kibitzer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:56 am

No need for sorry, t'was quite entertaining! (And more uplifting than, err, maybe some other posts. :-)

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:10 pm

Kibitzer wrote:No need for sorry, t'was quite entertaining! (And more uplifting than, err, maybe some other posts. :-)
Oh, I wasn't really complaining either. I've just been listening to a lot of Dunesteef, and it was a reflex to reply in Announcer Man style. :P

NoNotRogov

Post by NoNotRogov » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:00 pm

normsherman wrote:
NoNotRogov wrote:
Also, I will now take a moment to squee over you running a Swanwick story - I've been going through the Darger and Sirplus tales ever since encountering a really short one composed of very short vignettes in the anthology "Live Without A Net". The only entry I have not gotten to yet is the latest, the novel.
We've run several Swanwick stories on the cast. Hit up dem free archives!
Thanks, but I just don't see that happening much anymore. Without easy access to flipping through pages of updates or seeing a list of all updates like before, I don't imagine you are going to get quite the same level of new first time readers of backlog stories, a lot of the utility has been taken away by the cruel forces of limited bandwidth.

No bones or anything, it's just a fact that I'm not going to download every 50-cast bundle on the lovely gardenstreet archive site just to search for Swanwick stories I didn't catch the first time. They might as well not exist.
All us perks who got our brains skew-fried, would carry inside till the day we true-died, a distributed web of spurting nerve gaps, that made us want to rhyme out our urb raps - RiboFunk, Paul Di Filippo

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:52 am

NoNotRogov wrote:
normsherman wrote:
NoNotRogov wrote:
Also, I will now take a moment to squee over you running a Swanwick story - I've been going through the Darger and Sirplus tales ever since encountering a really short one composed of very short vignettes in the anthology "Live Without A Net". The only entry I have not gotten to yet is the latest, the novel.
We've run several Swanwick stories on the cast. Hit up dem free archives!
Thanks, but I just don't see that happening much anymore. Without easy access to flipping through pages of updates or seeing a list of all updates like before, I don't imagine you are going to get quite the same level of new first time readers of backlog stories, a lot of the utility has been taken away by the cruel forces of limited bandwidth.

No bones or anything, it's just a fact that I'm not going to download every 50-cast bundle on the lovely gardenstreet archive site just to search for Swanwick stories I didn't catch the first time. They might as well not exist.
yah, I feel yah. New site is on its way and will change all o' dat, fortunately.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Travelin Corpse Feet

Post by Travelin Corpse Feet » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:55 pm

So I guess I'm not adding anything new by mentioning the Asimov story in episode 200?

This wasn't bad, but it didn't tread any new ground and was kind of a letdown so close to "The last Question". Even though this one viewed the whole eternity thing through the lens of synethetic humans and advances in robotics, it was essentially the same idea: the unfathomable stretch of the future. "Last Question" at least had its series of vignettes where we're allowed to glimpse all of the hypothetical change, as opposed to this story which doesn't even scratch the surface with its banter.
A story of love, lust and violence and a man in a jam.

'"Well, Here I Am" My blogogna.

My Twitter feed, Scribblepodium, is good for a laugh or a cry.

olivaw

Post by olivaw » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:43 am

Hmm. Imagine if one of the speakers had been my namesake.
It really had the hallmarks of a classic Asimov short. The Last Question really was exceptional in showing, rather than telling, such a broad scope of speculation.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:00 am

NoNotRogov wrote:Thanks, but I just don't see that happening much anymore. Without easy access to flipping through pages of updates or seeing a list of all updates like before, I don't imagine you are going to get quite the same level of new first time readers of backlog stories, a lot of the utility has been taken away by the cruel forces of limited bandwidth.

You don't have to download 50-cast bundles.
http://gardenstreet.org/drabblecastarch ... 101150.php, for example.
All episodes are individually downloadable. Right click on the "Podcast" link and select Save As...
While I don't have a search function, you could Find in Page.

There is more website betterment in the future folks, just hold onto your hats for a bit.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:09 am

It's amazing how testy the crowd gets when they don't get a fresh fix of hard weird!

Boris- great job! I very much enjoyed your reading, as always.

This story was tame for the Drabblecast. But a tame story is still better than 75% of the stuff on a "regular" fiction cast. Norm, you've spoiled us with such a fun ride that the occasional walk seems disappointing to some.

cinnamon

Post by cinnamon » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:57 am

NoNotRogov wrote: Thanks, but I just don't see that happening much anymore. Without easy access to flipping through pages of updates or seeing a list of all updates like before, I don't imagine you are going to get quite the same level of new first time readers of backlog stories...

I'm doing that. :(

Also, I once ate a napkin when I was a wee lass.
Mush, Baby!

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:55 pm

cinnamon wrote:
NoNotRogov wrote: Thanks, but I just don't see that happening much anymore. Without easy access to flipping through pages of updates or seeing a list of all updates like before, I don't imagine you are going to get quite the same level of new first time readers of backlog stories...

I'm doing that. :(

Also, I once ate a napkin when I was a wee lass.

I think I ate a paper napkin or two, never a cloth napkin. This might be because I never had access to cloth napkins as a kid--the first time I went to a restaurant with cloth napkins I knew I'd taken a step up in society. :P

Kibitzer

Post by Kibitzer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:11 pm

Unblinking wrote:I think I ate a paper napkin or two, never a cloth napkin. This might be because I never had access to cloth napkins as a kid--the first time I went to a restaurant with cloth napkins I knew I'd taken a step up in society. :P
My dog has eaten at least two handkerchiefs. How do I know? Best not inquire further. :-\

cinnamon

Post by cinnamon » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:11 am

The Napkin Within?
Mush, Baby!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:58 am

cinnamon wrote:The Napkin Within?
Hee hee...