Drabblecast 216 - The Book of Eternity

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 216 - The Book of Eternity

Post by StalinSays » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:36 am

Feature: The Book of Eternity by Mike Resnick
Drabble: My Secret Co-Author by Evan Quinlan

Saturday, September 10, 2011
His name was Marvin Kasselmeier, though he changed it to Marcus Magnus
because he thought it sounded more impressive. He¹d been a bright student,
solitary and humorless, with no friends, and a single obsession: he wanted
to live forever...

In Search of the Brain-Eating Nandi Bear-- Part V
Evan Quinlan's Drabbleshire
Mike Resnick
Art by Jan Dennison
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

strawman

Re: Drabblecast 216 - The Book of Eternity

Post by strawman » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:17 pm

Are there new instructions on how to get to this story?
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:25 pm

strawman wrote:Are there new instructions on how to get to this story?
This episode did come through fine on the pod feeder on my phone, but it's not showing up at www.drabblecast.org
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:59 pm

We are in the process of a major feed upgrade. Please be patient.
The M4A version should be in the wild, the MP3 version will be coming soon.
In essence, the old publishing system blew up and we're having to make changes quickly.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:12 pm

strawman wrote:Are there new instructions on how to get to this story?
Right now you can't 'get to it.' Well you can, you're here. This is 'it.' (doo-wop)

Feeds are moved, and active. Web site specific episode posts though are in limbo until the end of the month. iWeb died. Or no, it is on its death bead, and to add another post to it is akin to asking a human being on their death bed to get up and run laps around a track. Here, the forums, is where you can check in for episode specific posts and episode show notes.

All considered, we're actually exceptionally lucky. The replacement site is quite far along, because we began planning voluntarily months ago. We have a shelter for our files, and somewhere to point the feeds that can handle traffic. Had iWeb reached this critical mass in say May, there would have been some terrifically heinous bandaids and rush jobs flying about, and and they would have lasted for months. As it stands, end of September, all will be healed. The only sacrifice being forced on us is episode specific posts/notes, and a slightly delayed mp3 feed.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Discodave

Post by Discodave » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:19 pm

I was able to snatch it off of iTunes this morning, worked fine. Great build-up to the story with the drabble, "My Secret Co-Author". Lovecraft and his fellow writer’s loved evil tomes back in their day and im not sure if this story is a parody of such a fact, or Resnick simply paying homage to how much of a book worm H.P.L was.

Either way it doesn't matter, out of the three commissioned Lovecraft stories I’d have to say this is a close tie with "The Wish of The Demon Achtromagk". I read a lot of H.P. Lovecraft, and I would have to say that these two stories more closely relate to Lovecraftian literature. Love how the ending plays out in this one.
:twisted:

rsieg

Post by rsieg » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:12 am

Hello. I joined the forum last week, and this seems as good a place as any to make a first post.

Itunes (on a Macbook) worked for me as well to download episode 216, except that the earlier-downloaded episodes were now doubled. I'm guessing those were previous mp3 (?) versions that Itunes retains along with the corresponding new mp4 entries. I just deleted the old versions and downloaded the new ones overnight.

On the plus side, the Itunes podcatcher now recognizes as DrabbleCast mp4 podcast episodes the previously downloaded archive mp4 episodes going all the way back to episode 103.

Love the podcast, BTW. I have listened to episodes occasionally in the past, but I'm starting to work through the back episodes in order (up to 3 at this point, and just listened to the Mongolian Death Worm B-side).

The ending of episode 216 reminded me a bit of an old Orson Scott Card short story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsmeat.

- Rob

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:51 am

Welcome to the forums, rsieg! Thanks for the info.
Yea, there was nothing we could do about the episode doubling. But hey, twice the Drabblecast!

Put your feet up, stay awhile. There are some great stories around these parts.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:46 am

A hearty welcome to all our newby posters! We love you guys and gals! Lurkers, come in to the light. Join these saplings, maybe you too will grow in to a mighty, thousand-plus-posting oak! Or a gnarled and bent thousand-plus bramble, like me. Oh, the carpal tunnel...

Lovecraft month and a half is over, hope everyone enjoyed. Back to your irregularly balanced counter-programming. Art is already in. Some good stuff coming up.

Polecat

Post by Polecat » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:49 pm

I found this story profoundly silly - which appealed to me. Imagine (as Mr. Resnick did) spending your whole life preparing for immortality, which turns out to consist of nothing more than being constantly painfully devoured, only to painfully regrow in order to be painfully redevoured. And that in order to avoid the anonymity of "heaven"! Brings to mind the buddhist concept of samsara, only the protagonist chose by his solipsistic hubris a route that led, through his ignorance, to a particularly vicious karma. Thank god it was *only* fiction!!
I enjoyed this story.

respectfully

The Polecat

Djinndustries

Post by Djinndustries » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:05 pm

I felt a bit let down after this story. What kind of had glimmerings of a humorous direction or the faint sparkles of a new vision of Faustian bargains turned into a formulaic template of 'proud, intelligent misanthropist seeks forbidden knowledge followed by obvious endings to ill-advised attempts at life prolonging'. That sounds like a personal ad.

I mean, really:
Spoiler:
OH, MY GOD, THE DEVIL WAS THE ONE PROMISING ETERNAL LIFE AND HE TRICKED YOU?! GET OUT!
:roll:

Not bad, just done a million times before. If you read Poe, you can appreciate it because he did it first. This is just...old ground.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:12 pm

I've got to agree that Mike seems to have phoned it in this time. But I'm reminded of the firestorm on the EP forums when Norm dared to voice a similar opinion. He was lucky to escape from that pod with all three nuts intact.

Hypothesis: The basis for all art is a quest for immortality. Criticism, at least according to that trope, is satan's destructive consumption of each blossoming self-regeneration.

I find that thinking of The Book of Eternity that way makes the story interesting. If I were an editor, I'd ask Mr. Resnick for a rewrite in which this theme was developed.

Is that not, after all, the actual Book of Eternity?

Spoiler:

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:48 pm

For anyone who's having trouble finding this one, I downloaded it from someone who reposted it on CastRoller:
http://castroller.com/Podcasts/Drabblecast/

That's actually where I download all of my Drabblecast episodes, because I have yet to figure out a way to actually download them from the Drabblecast site, only to play them--I can download older ones from the archive site, but those sometimes take a while to post. I use iTunes to sync my iPod, but I don't really want to start an actual online account with them. The manual downloads work fine for me--my iPod is full-up anyway, so anything new I add has to be put into space cleared manually by yours truly.

Anyway, as far as this story goes, it was well-written, and I generally enjoyed the listen, but it's not going to stand out among many other stories with identical premises in my mind. I've seen other stories take this old idea and do something novel with them--another podcasted story comes to mind, I think it ran on Escape Pod a year or two ago about a guy who committed murder and then was surprised when the priest wouldn't just declare him free of sin after a token confession, and so he went on to do new kinds of scientific life-extending research to prolong his whole life--anyone remember the title? I'm drawing a blank. Anyway, this was serviceable, but nothing that really stood out. The Wish of the Demon Achtromagk is definitely the standout favorite for me this year.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:37 pm

We've worked direct file downloads in to the new site. Wasn't just you with that unfulfilled yearning. Fulfillment soon!

I remember that EscapePod. Probably in my top 5 they ever ran. The title escapes me as well. Great, great ending.

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:43 pm

Aha! Found it. It was "Immortal Sin" by Jennifer Pelland. I just had to search the Escape Artists forums for the keyword "confession":
http://escapepod.org/2007/10/25/ep129-immortal-sin/

El Barto

Post by El Barto » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:34 pm

I've got to agree with Djinndustries and strawman on this one. The narration was great and I loved the devil's voice, but the story itself was a big letdown.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:51 am

Hah! #2 pencil!
That one really caught me off guard and made me laugh hard. I love ya, Connor.

Story was good, nothing special, but fine. I was surprised that he doesn't make the point of: Why try and extend a life which has no purpose other than the pursuit of extending life?

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:11 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Hah! #2 pencil!
That one really caught me off guard and made me laugh hard. I love ya, Connor.

Story was good, nothing special, but fine. I was surprised that he doesn't make the point of: Why try and extend a life which has no purpose other than the pursuit of extending life?

Good question. That is his only pursuit, so if he ever succeeded he would have nothing to do with his neverending time!

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:34 pm

No difference between this and "The Meaning of Life is that there is no meaning of life other than to live? Eternal meaninglessness would probably make you wish for the ability to suffer being eaten by Satan.

Spoiler:

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:25 pm

strawman wrote:No difference between this and "The Meaning of Life is that there is no meaning of life other than to live? Eternal meaninglessness would probably make you wish for the ability to suffer being eaten by Satan.
Now that's something original! I can see the infomercial now!
"Is eternal life getting... old? Have you spent millennia with little to do and you know you have infinity left ahead? Maybe what you really need is some meaning, some purpose? You crave to be a part of something bigger than yourself. And by bigger, we literally mean bigger. And by "being a part" we mean that you'll be eaten and digested many times over to provide sustenance for the Dark Lord. Just call 1-888-666-HELL."